Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #71

Old Coot I will have to disagree with you - First the brakes would be upside down (maybe a concern); second there are wires in the picture that will have to be cut and reattached; third the spring perch must be welded, to the axle (preventing a simple flip - if the perch is not welded the first time you got on the brakes hard the axle would spin) and on the perch usually there is a pilot hole that mates with a pin on the spring (or vise-verse) there will no longer be this hole and pin which is what keeps the axle in place. So from my stand point it not just a simple turn the axle over. It's quite a bit more involved for questionable results.

It also occurs that the perch position is the way the axle was manufactured. So we must assume that it is correct as shown or the axle manufacturer was wrong. (Now is the bow up or down?) - do we really know. I also think that the frame damage had to be from a VERY hard hit. The metal looks to be at least 3/16" thick. You would have to bang that fairly hard to bend it. Very possible that the "hit" is what tweaked the axle enough to cause the problem. The spring to frame clearance seems to be in the 2-3" which I would say is normal.

I have chatted with a friend (owns a RV repair business) who says that bending the axle to get the right camber is possible.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
Old Coot I will have to disagree with you - First the brakes would be upside down (maybe a concern); second there are wires in the picture that will have to be cut and reattached; third the spring perch must be welded, to the axle (preventing a simple flip - if the perch is not welded the first time you got on the brakes hard the axle would spin) and on the perch usually there is a pilot hole that mates with a pin on the spring (or vise-verse) there will no longer be this hole and pin which is what keeps the axle in place. So from my stand point it not just a simple turn the axle over. It's quite a bit more involved for questionable results.

It also occurs that the perch position is the way the axle was manufactured. So we must assume that it is correct as shown or the axle manufacturer was wrong. (Now is the bow up or down?) - do we really know. I also think that the frame damage had to be from a VERY hard hit. The metal looks to be at least 3/16" thick. You would have to bang that fairly hard to bend it. Very possible that the "hit" is what tweaked the axle enough to cause the problem. The spring to frame clearance seems to be in the 2-3" which I would say is normal.

I have chatted with a friend (owns a RV repair business) who says that bending the axle to get the right camber is possible.
Backing plate could be rotated, agree, but they can be removed from the spindle without unhooking the wiring. Unhooking the brake wires is a minor task anyway. Spring perch can be left alone, the perch is on the bottom of the axle and the spring bolt head is in the perch hole, rotating the axle will put the perch on top, simply removing the spring bolt and putting the head on the bottom of the springs and sitting the springs on the top of the axle and re-bolting it solves that problem. Have done this several times with straight axles with no bow in the axles to gain ground clearance. 2"-3" clearance to the frame is not enough IMO as the combination of the walking beam and spring deflection will be used rather easily.

According to the OP, it is all a moot point as he stated the dealer told him the bow was up on the axles. No doubt there is a major design flaw, but FR is not admitting to any problem. I would get the dealer to take the POS off my hands and get another trailer as regardless of the hitch, the trailer is going to continue to damage the frame in it's present configuration regardless of tire wear.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #73

Well folks, our FR experience is over. After basically two months of searching and analysis the prognosis is "we can't find anything wrong." FR claims that everything is as it should be, yet interestingly enough the 2014 version has 5200 lbs axles instead of the 3500 lbs axles on our 2013.

That, along with the uncontrollable swaying, means we are no longer FR owners. We now own a different trailer made by a completely different manufacturer. Our dealer was fantastic and gave us almost everything we paid for ours a year and a half ago.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. It was very helpful and helped me in particular ask some much more informed questions. God bless you all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #74
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaines View Post
Well folks, our FR experience is over. God bless you all.
The use of the word "experience" is very entertaining, and unfortunately, accurate. The companies that make the sub-components seem to be dropping the ball, or is it just that they are provided what is specified?
Glad you are happy now!

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, grey wolf