Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

Axle question/Need real truth

Rig: 2006 Sierra 37Sp Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler 15K capacity
Axles: Al-Ko 7K

Story: In the summer of 2009 I actually was able to put some miles on this rig with 2 trips across country. One to Kansas and One to Sturgis. Prior to this trip I replaced all the tires as they showed sign of sidewall stress.
Trip to and from Kansas I had no issues what so ever.
Trip to Sturgis was fine but unfortunately before leaving we got hit with Baseball size Hail. Needless to say truck and trailer took huge damage. On the way home I lost a wheel and ended up being towed to Flagstaff R.V.
They repaired the damage and replaced the front axle.
At pick up I noticed the new axle seemed to be wider than the original. Brought it back home to San Diego.
Fast forward to Nov 2012. Since that trip to Sturgis we use the rig 5 to 6 times a year to go to the desert. I make sure to do better axle maintenance but still on the same tires I bought in 2009.
On our way out to the desert I got 20 miles from home and blew a rt rear tire. Got back on the road and after picking up another spare I got about 50 more miles and blew another tire on the other side.
These blowouts are wicked and played hell on the rig. Obviously very violent as they damaged supension as well
RV tech discovered the Axle put on by Flagstaff RV was almost 2 inches wider than the original and tracked differently than the rear axle. He said this caused premature tire failure due to excess friction.
We have now replaced both axles, including new leafs and put brand new tires all the way around. The tech also welded in some supports to assist the existing hangers from swaying.
Was my tech correct regarding the axle issue? or did he play me?

Also I need to hear thoughts on the EZ-Flex system. I wish I got this done at axle replacement but now I will be doing it myself
SOCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Explorer

I have never used the EZ-Flex suspension but I have thought about it; it looks like it could help. But I keep thinking about how many trailers are made without it and they all seem to work; is the cost worth the improvement. What is the old saying “if its not broke don’t fix it” in your case maybe it needs fixing.
To the axle issue, I have never seen or heard of having axles that are two different dimensions. I would have to believe that if there was an application where this situation could be better we would see it used. But, you do see double even triple, dually axle trailers, maybe this just confuses the point. Even a double axle has more stress on suspension than a single axle. So this leads me to believe the first shop was wrong to install a mismatched axle; the trailer suspension is designed to handle specific axle set ups.
There is an easy-ish measurement to see if your axles are aligned: mark the furthest most center point on the tongue( center of where the ball meets is the key) of the trailer and then measure to the axles bottom bolt to the backing plate of the brakes.
With all the axle/ suspention issues I hope you found a really good trailer shop, not necessarily a camper shop.
Good luck, wish I could help more
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote