Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Axle replacement

There have certainly been posts by folks who have replaced 3500 lb and 4000 lb axles on their Forest River campers, but I haven't had any luck finding them. After bearing and/or spindle problems on 3 different Rockwoods, I'm interested in replacing with 5000 lb axles and would prefer stepping up from 15" to 16" rims if there's clearance. Would also consider replacing the torsion system with leaf springs. However, it seems like I could end up with wheels that don't line up with the openings in the plastic wheel moldings. Has anyone been through this?

frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
No, but keep in mind unless you all ready have.
changing your axles to a higher lb rating doesn't mean you can load your unit any heavier then you could with the factory supplied axles.
The complete unit as a whole is engineered to carry a specific load.
Altering and adding 1 or 2000 lb axles heavier axles doesn't mean you can then carry more weight.
Herk can fill you in on this if he sees this thread.
If you've already taken this into consideration then my point is mute.

08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Thanks Turbs. I understand what you're saying. I possibly have at least as good an understanding of weight and load limits as most folks since I've been dealing with axle issues on 3 different trailers beginning in 2008. I believe that, in an attempt to keep trailer weight down, some manufacturers install axles that are only marginally adequate. I've had 3 bearing failures, one axle destroyed, and spindles grossly out of alignment even though I have never loaded even close to GVWR, and have always been faithful at annual bearing maintenance. I've had one axle replaced under warranty on one trailer, both axles replaced on another trailer (cost shared by manufacturer), and recently on a third trailer, axles realigned. That process on a torsion system involves bending the axle tubes until spindles are in alignment. I'm deeply concerned about what that might have done to the integrity of the axles and mounts. I don't want to install heavier axles so I can haul more stuff; I never have hauled much. I just want to get past 7 years of wondering how far until the next major failure. We tow about 8000 to 10,000 miles each year, and expect some problems, but this has been almost more than I can tolerate.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
I would like to know how you progress on this. I have 4,400 axles and would like to step up to the next size of 5,200. I too had catastrophic bearing failure. I need to replace on axle now and have inquired with Lippert about transferring to the heavier axle. I have not heard back from them yet. I do not want to carry more 'weight', I just want to carry the weight that I have in a more safely manner. I believe the size of my axles are a weak link and want to beef them up to handle the weight that is there.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
What types of problems have you been experiencing over the years? Have you had axles actually break while driving? Are they bending?

As Turbs mentioned it is usually all designed in conjunction. The trailer frame and axle combo is that way to serve a purpose. I hear about people have trouble with tire failure more than axle failure. That just does not seem to come up too often on forums. Unless I have just missed them.

I do not like the fact that they push the limits either. My pop up has dual - 2,100lbs axles (per white sticker) but the unit has a GVWR of 4,600lbs. Not a lot of leeway there for weight.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

axle, replacement