Old 06-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Axle rating = 4000 lbs.......
ok Thought there was some legal thing not just the max load rating .

Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
Usually Confused Member

Something is just not right with the numbers. There's no way the "weight sticker" can have a line saying axle max weight is 5,000 pounds. I would definitely be going to FR to have those 5000 pounds axles installed.

My trailer is just the opposite. The sticker shows 5,040 pounds max axle weight and the axles are placarded at 5,200 pounds. That 5,040 number is derived by taking the factory supplied tire weight limit of 2,520 pounds time two tires.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

You got the wrong axles and the wrong tires.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Something is just not right with the numbers. There's no way the "weight sticker" can have a line saying axle max weight is 5,000 pounds. I would definitely be going to FR to have those 5000 pounds axles installed.

My trailer is just the opposite. The sticker shows 5,040 pounds max axle weight and the axles are placarded at 5,200 pounds. That 5,040 number is derived by taking the factory supplied tire weight limit of 2,520 pounds time two tires.

The hubs on the 5,000 pound axles are bigger. I think that the 4,000 are 10 inch and the 5,000 are 12 inch. The beam for the 4,000 and 5,000 are the same at 3inches

I am sure that someone will correct me on this.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Weight on axel tag vs weight on trailer sticker???? Didn't really think about it till I was comparing photos, Confusing to say the least. 2014 8289WS

Attachment 110800

Attachment 110801

A very important safety violation has been discovered by you.

Read that certification label. Forest River has sworn to NHTSA and all prospective customers/consumers that the vehicle meets all applicable safety requirements. Your pictures clearly identify that FR is in error. 4000# axles will not meet the minimum requirements of the vehicle’s GVWR.

I recommend you take immediate action to inform FR of their error and demand corrections be made to take your trailer up to minimum standards.

The tire size described on the certification label do meet the requirements of 5000# axles. Too bad you already replaced the Original tires because they did not meet the minimum standard for 5000# axles. However you can still show FR the Original tires were the wrong size because FR was required to register them and they must hold the proof of registration for 5 years.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
A very important safety violation has been discovered by you.

Read that certification label. Forest River has sworn to NHTSA and all prospective customers/consumers that the vehicle meets all applicable safety requirements. Your pictures clearly identify that FR is in error. 4000# axles will not meet the minimum requirements of the vehicle’s GVWR.

I recommend you take immediate action to inform FR of their error and demand corrections be made to take your trailer up to minimum standards.

The tire size described on the certification label do meet the requirements of 5000# axles. Too bad you already replaced the Original tires because they did not meet the minimum standard for 5000# axles. However you can still show FR the Original tires were the wrong size because FR was required to register them and they must hold the proof of registration for 5 years.
Very good advice. However, the tires are not relevant...except that to meet the published 5,000 pound axle rating they must be D-load. The limiting factor here is the axle limit of 4,000. You can put super duper extra tuff load range "triple J" or greater tires on (with a capacity of 25,000 pounds each) but you are still limited to 4,000 pounds axle weight.

If I found something like that I would send FR a registered mail document explaining the problem and demanding a satisfactory response within 1 business day after receipt. If no response then I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers capable of dealing with the issue.

If the OP hasn't contacted FR yet I'd suggest it be done tomorrow morning.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #17

FR will mostly print OP a new certification label and degrade the GVWR. It's the cheapest way out. "We are sorry Mr. OP, that label was printed out of error. We double checked your VIN and you should have received this label. We will be looking to how this happened, most likely a computer error. Again we are sorry for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused. We have applied the new label and did a courtesy washing of your unit."

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
FR will mostly print OP a new certification label and degrade the GVWR. It's the cheapest way out. "We are sorry Mr. OP, that label was printed out of error. We double checked your VIN and you should have received this label. We will be looking to how this happened, most likely a computer error. Again we are sorry for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused. We have applied the new label and did a courtesy washing of your unit."
you're absolutely correct . That's exactly what they will do . the OP should be able to return the unit based on the fact that he bought it based on the stickers stated ratings
Old 06-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
I don't think that's the case here. I didn't find a sticker for a '14 model but I doubt there's that much difference than this one advertised (click on the pictures and go to the last two or three):

2017 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8289WS, Little Falls MN - - RVtrader.com

That shows the same axle rating as the OP. Something is just not right. If FR claims the sticker is wrong and should say 4,000, then just how many of these trailers have the incorrect sticker?

And, notice the tires are "D" load tires which are usually in the 2,500 pound range. FR is not going to put 5,000 pound (per axle) tires on a 4,000 pound axle.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #20

According to the specifications found at forestriverinc.com for the unit in question the certification label has the correct information. The picture of the axle manufacturers tag (Dexter) shows incorrect information when compared to the trailer‘s certification label. The remedy is to investigate the axle for its correct load capacity. If, in fact, the axle (s) has a maximum load capacity of 4000# forest river must recall the unit and replace the axle (s). The OP has said the Original tires were LRC. The tires described on the certification label do not come in LRC so another tire size must have been used. If that’s the case Forest River is responsible and must also recall the unit for incorrect tire size.

Excerpt from FMVSS 571.110;
The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567 (Certification).

I don’t “shoot from the hip”. My posts on subjects with verifiable information come - in part - from those documents.

Tags
trailer, axle