Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #21
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
According to the specifications found at forestriverinc.com for the unit in question the certification label has the correct information. The picture of the axle manufacturers tag (Dexter) shows incorrect information when compared to the trailer‘s certification label. The remedy is to investigate the axle for its correct load capacity. If, in fact, the axle (s) has a maximum load capacity of 4000# forest river must recall the unit and replace the axle (s). The OP has said the Original tires were LRC. The tires described on the certification label do not come in LRC so another tire size must have been used. If that’s the case Forest River is responsible and must also recall the unit for incorrect tire size.

Excerpt from FMVSS 571.110;
The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567 (Certification).

I don’t “shoot from the hip”. My posts on subjects with verifiable information come - in part - from those documents.
I'm pretty sure you are absolutely correct. All the info on other 8289WS models I've been able to find advertised that just happen to show the certification label the unit is supposed to have a minimum of 5,000 pound axles. FR appears to have put the wrong axles on, and I doubt they are the correct axle with an incorrect axle weight sticker.

If the trailer came with "C" load tires then the max load for those tires is in the 1,800-1,900 range. Assume they were 1,900 each then the certification label should show an axle weight rating of 3,800 pounds. Even though the pictured axles show 4K, the tire rating limits them to 3,800. Just more reasoning to believe the certification label is correct but the axle is wrong.

The OP needs to really push back to get this issue resolved.
__________________

__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #22
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Have to wonder, is the unit advertised, in writing as having a 4,000 or 5,000# capacity.
Every trailer I have purchased had a clear statement of it's capacity.

IMO if advertised as 5,000# and they sold you 4,000 trailer it's simple false advertising. Small claims court might be an option if FR isn't willing to bring the unit up to meet it's advertised rating.

If however it is advertised or designated as a 4,000# unit then that is what you bought. FR can use whatever components they want as long as the tires & axle have at least 4k capability.
__________________

__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 PM   #23
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have to wonder, is the unit advertised, in writing as having a 4,000 or 5,000# capacity.
Every trailer I have purchased had a clear statement of it's capacity.

IMO if advertised as 5,000# and they sold you 4,000 trailer it's simple false advertising. Small claims court might be an option if FR isn't willing to bring the unit up to meet it's advertised rating.

If however it is advertised or designated as a 4,000# unit then that is what you bought. FR can use whatever components they want as long as the tires & axle have at least 4k capability.
It's a little vague and may have factors I'm not familiar with. However, it is advertised as having a maximum weight of 9,824 pounds. The advertised empty weight is 6,832 with a cargo capacity of 1,421. I don't know how they came up with that cargo capacity number because if you subtract 6,832 from the max weight you see a cargo capacity of 2,992. Too many numbers here...gets confusing (which may be intentional on FRs part). Furthermore, the sticker on the picture I referenced in post #19 has a cargo limit of 1,543.

It would be helpful if someone here who owns a comparable unit would take a look at their axle and let us know what the sticker says.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #24
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
It's a little vague and may have factors I'm not familiar with. However, it is advertised as having a maximum weight of 9,824 pounds. The advertised empty weight is 6,832 with a cargo capacity of 1,421. I don't know how they came up with that cargo capacity number because if you subtract 6,832 from the max weight you see a cargo capacity of 2,992. Too many numbers here...gets confusing (which may be intentional on FRs part). Furthermore, the sticker on the picture I referenced in post #19 has a cargo limit of 1,543.

It would be helpful if someone here who owns a comparable unit would take a look at their axle and let us know what the sticker says.
Thanks for the facts and numbers.
Now having a better understanding the confusion, I have to admit I no longer feel there is any problem with the "certification" label or the advertising.

Vehicle manufacturers can use whatever components they wish as long as the MINIMUM capacities required by regulation are followed.
Others can state the "chapter and verse" of the regs but the bottom line is that there is no problem with the TT. I was wrong for not understanding the confusion and suggesting there was some reason to notify NHTSA or BBB or even consider going to court.

It appears that the problem is that you do not understand the definition of "cargo capacity" in the RV world. This is a very well defined term and a competent RV dealer should have been able to point to the appropriate documentation.

Here are some links, with the definition of the term. (Google is our friend)
How Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) Works

How Much Stuff Can You Carry?

RV Weight Terms


Hope this information answers all your questions and concerns.
__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,702
According to the FR website dry weight is 8408 for that model. OP dry weight on posted sticker is just over 8200. Not sure where the a different poster got a dry weight of six and change.

Sounds to me like the sticker is correct, but the axles and tires are wrong. (Like I posted earlier)

OP, please let us know what you find out from FR.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Thanks for the facts and numbers.
Now having a better understanding the confusion, I have to admit I no longer feel there is any problem with the "certification" label or the advertising.

Vehicle manufacturers can use whatever components they wish as long as the MINIMUM capacities required by regulation are followed.
Others can state the "chapter and verse" of the regs but the bottom line is that there is no problem with the TT. I was wrong for not understanding the confusion and suggesting there was some reason to notify NHTSA or BBB or even consider going to court.

It appears that the problem is that you do not understand the definition of "cargo capacity" in the RV world. This is a very well defined term and a competent RV dealer should have been able to point to the appropriate documentation.

Here are some links, with the definition of the term. (Google is our friend)
How Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) Works

How Much Stuff Can You Carry?

RV Weight Terms


Hope this information answers all your questions and concerns.
What does cargo capacity have to do with the issue? Or even GVWR?

The sticker says each axle can carry 5,000 lbs, and the axles say they are capable of 4,000 lbs. This is an issue in and of itself. A 5,000 pound axle with a 4,000 pound sticker is fine, but not the other way around.
__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Weight on axel tag vs weight on trailer sticker???? Didn't really think about it till I was comparing photos, Confusing to say the least. 2014 8289WS

Attachment 110800

Attachment 110801
Real easy
Go to NHTSA Complaint web page.

Fill in the VIN

The complaint is that the axle is rated only 4,000#

and the tires are rated xxx Lbs at max pressure.

You should receive a "Complaint # from NHTSA in a few days.

Then notify FR and your RV dealer of the complaint #
__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
the only way to get things done right in the country is get a good lawyer . plain and simple . any other route will just waste time and get you know where . unless FR and other manufactures agree to correct the axles not the sticker . someday soon there will be a class action suit against RV builders and things will change real quick
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 148
I have the same model but a year newer.
My sticker shows #4000 axles and LRC tires.
__________________
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #30
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,564
This type of issue ( where your safety is at risk) can get very emotional very quickly. The proper way to handle this is to contact the FR rep ( see contacts in library) and if necessary fill out a NHTSA complaint. Threatening use of legal action at this point will do two things.
1. Immediately result in the cessation of all conversations with FR reps or factory repair personnel ( per instructions from their lawyers). Any hope of a resolution will be on hold until the legal dept OKs it.
2. Result in posts being deleted or the thread being closed as they violate forum rules: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

There have been errors in the past involving incorrect weight data on trailer labels and these have been corrected ( a quick search will provide details). This discussion (if kept to the facts) should provide the information needed to quickly resolve the issue.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer, axle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.