Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Axles too small?

Yesterday, I noticed that my 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ was sagging on the entrance door side of the trailer. I crawled underneath to see what the problem was, only to find that the right rear leaf spring was broken and the other three were flat as a pancake. Is there a recall notice on these axels that I'm not aware of? The dealer acknowledged they had "some problems" with the axels under these 5th wheels…..none that they told me about when I bought it, however.

I've gone from very happy with Forest River products to extremely disappointed in about 24 hours.

Thank you for your help!
__________________

__________________
derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Contact Sierra. They replaced my axles at the rally last year. Had one that was a little flat. I would bet yours is the Al-Ko, same as mine. They replaced them with Dexter axles.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Confirmed. Al-Ko. Dealer sent email to Forest River along with pictures. I hope they replace them free of charge. I'll request Dexter axles, as well.

Many Thanks!!
__________________
derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Pretty sure Dexters are all they are using at the factory now. Many have had their axles replaced outside of warranty and the factory has covered and I would think more so in your case. Keep us posted.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Will do. Thank you very much for your prompt replies.
__________________
derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick View Post
Confirmed. Al-Ko. Dealer sent email to Forest River along with pictures. I hope they replace them free of charge. I'll request Dexter axles, as well.

Many Thanks!!
If you have lief springs you do not have alko axles... Could be wrong but alko are torsion not spring. Not that I know of. But it will not be the first time I'm wrong.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Don't believe the axles are too small, the springs are too small/light.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If you have lief springs you do not have alko axles... Could be wrong but alko are torsion not spring. Not that I know of. But it will not be the first time I'm wrong.
Al-Ko makes both styles of axles, as does Dexter.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8
Thank you all for your thoughts & comments. My dealer is applying pressure with Sierra/Forest River. GVWR is 14,060. 6 ton axles are wholly inadequate. Sierra said that 6 ton was standard in 2012, but 7 ton was optional. Sierra is trying to place blame on dealer for not upgrading me prior to sale. We should achieve resolution in short order, but over the short term, I guess we have to endure the finger-pointing exercise. I really appreciate all of your help, however. I'm looking forward to getting this resolved quickly. I'll let you know how it turns out.
__________________
derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts & comments. My dealer is applying pressure with Sierra/Forest River. GVWR is 14,060. 6 ton axles are wholly inadequate. Sierra said that 6 ton was standard in 2012, but 7 ton was optional. Sierra is trying to place blame on dealer for not upgrading me prior to sale. We should achieve resolution in short order, but over the short term, I guess we have to endure the finger-pointing exercise. I really appreciate all of your help, however. I'm looking forward to getting this resolved quickly. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Statistically speaking I’ll bet your axles are adequate and meet the minimum standards for your trailer. Remember, the GAWRs are set by the vehicle manufacturer after deducting the hitch weight.

If I’m incorrect and the axles are less than the certified GAWRs found on the trailer’s certification label, all the trailer builder has to do is send you a new cargo label with enough deductions to get the axles in the ball park.

Airdale
__________________

__________________
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axles

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.