Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Bad Tire? Lucky Outcome?

Well, we're in our brand new Rockwood 2608WS and heading off for our second weekend outing. Doing 60mph and we lose a tire. The thing just disintegrated on us. Feeling pretty fortunate right now to tell you the truth. Of course, it tore out my black water drain valve.

Since we're new at this we weren't sure what to do, while I was changing the tire (thanks to this forum, I'd already purchase a 4-way lug wrench and bottle jack) DW was calling roadside assistance. They told her we weren't covered and it was $150 an hour, minimum 2 hours to get any help. Of course we signed up, and paid for this when we purchased....She's still steaming 5 hours later!

Guess I'm off to buy a tire in the morning and see if I can find an RV dealer to buy black water drain piping. Not real,pleased right now, let me tell you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	29963  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

Sorry about your camper!

You can get your valves at the RV parts store. Hope you get to the bottom of your roadside insurance.

Good Luck
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #3

This stinks on several levels. First of all, what's covered if changing a tire isn't???? Second, was the tire defective? I'm thinking I'd be on the phone with FR. It could be some sort of road hazard issue but dang! This is the reason DH refuses to consider a single axle trailer. Glad you guys are safe.

Out of curiosity who is your roadside assistance?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
Well, we're in our brand new Rockwood 2608WS and heading off for our second weekend outing. Doing 60mph and we lose a tire. The thing just disintegrated on us. Feeling pretty fortunate right now to tell you the truth. Of course, it tore out my black water drain valve.

Since we're new at this we weren't sure what to do, while I was changing the tire (thanks to this forum, I'd already purchase a 4-way lug wrench and bottle jack) DW was calling roadside assistance. They told her we weren't covered and it was $150 an hour, minimum 2 hours to get any help. Of course we signed up, and paid for this when we purchased....She's still steaming 5 hours later!

Guess I'm off to buy a tire in the morning and see if I can find an RV dealer to buy black water drain piping. Not real,pleased right now, let me tell you!
Sorry about the tire. You have Me ? On 3/14/13 you had a New never used 1905RLT & pulled by a Chevy Colorado. Now on 5/9/13 you have a New 2608WS pulled by a Ford F 150. You have camped (2) W/E. Did you ever use the 190? Your profile info is Conflicting? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Just curious, do you have a TPMS system on the trailer tires? As well any idea how far you drove after the blowout? Just trying to see if you could have stopped soon enough to prevent that damage if you had a monitor system or if the tire just disintegrated in a moment as I have lost a number of vehicle tires but never anything like that.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Couple of updates to posts...

My profile needed updated. We took our new 1905RLT out one time. Immediately figured out that wasn't going to work. Called my dealer Monday morning and told them I needed a bigger one. went in the following Saturday, dropped off the 19' and picked up a 2603WS. THe dealer took the old one and applied full price over to the new one. We absolutely love it and the size is perfect.

As for my tires, I don't have a monitoring system on it. But may have to consider one now. I'm not sure how far I drive on the flat, but it couldn't been too far. But, at 65mph a quarter mile or more could have been enough to do this much damage.

I've had a heck of a time getting the plumbing parts, but found them at Camping World in Indianapolis. I'm sitting at a tire store now while they mount the new tire. I already told them I'd be back next week to swap out the other three!

Should be back in business in a few hours.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

doverfel, what roadside assistance plan did you have? Coach-net, Good Sams, AAA, or something else?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Just curious what your first warning of an issue was. I have been fortunate enough not to have an issue yet, but expect it will happen eventually. TPMS is not in the budget yet though it will be soon.

Also, who was the roadside provider? (not that they provided much it seems)