Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

BAL 23216 Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bars

Has anyone used these? If so how happy are you with them? I am thinking about getting a few sets of these to help with shake. Will they work with the electric front jacks on my 2006 8280SS 5ver?
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #2

Their are companies that make complete sets. I made my own, and they make a HUGE difference. Pretty much a must-have in my opinion.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

I just installed a set on my landing gear this weekend. Took me longer to measure than to actually install them....VERY simple install
From a very basic "push test" they have locked the front of the 5er in place, but I think I will add a set to the rear. I will have to re-position my back stab jacks to make it work, and that is half the reason i got them....just to see if they would work on the rear jacks. I think with a little imagination I can get them to work. We will be camping this weekend so that will be a good test, will also know for sure if they are needed on the back.
I was going the "build my own" route, until I saw that Amazon had a set that was "used". I took a gamble (the price was right) and ordered them. Since they were being sold used by Amazon I was able to get my Prime benefits and had them in 2 days. I got the box and it had been opened, but the bag the mounting hardware was in had not. It looks like someone bought it, opened it, and returned it without installing it.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

I did the landing jacks first, and while that made a huge difference, I also think the back one will be necessary. That is one of my projects for the wintertime.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #5

Well I ordered two sets for the front. I was looking under my 5ver can I just cut the diaper at the mount points on the frame and reseal it or should unscrew the diaper?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Well I ordered two sets for the front. I was looking under my 5ver can I just cut the diaper at the mount points on the frame and reseal it or should unscrew the diaper?
Don't know what you're calling a diaper, but they all mount on the legs and the outside of the frame & skirting. No cutting required.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't know what you're calling a diaper, but they all mount on the legs and the outside of the frame & skirting. No cutting required.
I am referring to the plastic underliner that covers the underbelly of the camper including the frame. Should I just mount through it?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I am referring to the plastic underliner that covers the underbelly of the camper including the frame. Should I just mount through it?
They mount directly to the bottom of the frame, you don't have to cut anything unless you just want to. The frame has a pc of 1x attached to it, then the Corplas and then an alum strip. You can mount over all of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Anchor.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	20400  
Old 10-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #9

Got my stabilizers from the big brown truck this afternoon. I plan on installing them in the front. I should have no problem installing the ones that are front to back because there is a frame rail there but, the side to side ones may be a problem. There is a storage pan in the front and the side to side frame rail sits about 14" back from the jacks (the jacks are mounted to the front to rear frame rail on each side). The pan metal is only 1/16" thick if I mount to that wouldn't that create too much stress on the pan? I was thinking maybe I could put a piece of plywood in the bottom of the pan to make it stronger if necessary. Looking for suggestions.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Got my stabilizers from the big brown truck this afternoon. I plan on installing them in the front. I should have no problem installing the ones that are front to back because there is a frame rail there but, the side to side ones may be a problem. There is a storage pan in the front and the side to side frame rail sits about 14" back from the jacks (the jacks are mounted to the front to rear frame rail on each side). The pan metal is only 1/16" thick if I mount to that wouldn't that create too much stress on the pan? I was thinking maybe I could put a piece of plywood in the bottom of the pan to make it stronger if necessary. Looking for suggestions.
Pictures would help us understand what you're encountering.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

As you can see from the picture there is a storage space in the front of the side to side frame rail, the jack is mounted to the front to rear frame rail. I want to install two stabilizers to each jack the ones going front to rear won't be a problem (I don't think ) but, if I mount the side to side ones on the frame rail there will be too much of an angle. If I mount in the storage pan I am afraid that the 1/16" metal may not be strong enough and flex.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=RickV;264621As you can see from the picture there is a storage space in the front of the side to side frame rail, the jack is mounted to the front to rear frame rail. I want to install two stabilizers to each jack the ones going front to rear won't be a problem (I don't think ) but, if I mount the side to side ones on the frame rail there will be too much of an angle. If I mount in the storage pan I am afraid that the 1/16" metal may not be strong enough and flex.[/QUOTE]

I mounted mine from the non moving square tube on one jack down to the pad on the opposite side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	20739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade front stablilizer (Driver side upper).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	20740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade front stablilizer (Passenger side lower).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	20741  
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #13

I will take a look once it gets light outside and see if I can mount mine there somehow.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #14

I just checked and while I could do as dunnnc suggested the BAL arms are too short (he made his own wish I had the setup to do that kinda stuff). I measured the storage area and while I can't do the whole thing (battery box is on one side) I can put a 16"x48" piece of plywood in there and screw it down that should strengthen the whole thing and shouldn't flex.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #15

Rick, I welded a 1 inch by 2 inch rectangular steel tube between the two front jacks, just under the belly pan you mention. That not only provides a very solid mounting point for the stabilizer bars, but also strengthens the jacks. Any welding shop could do that for you for a nominal fee.
But in a pinch, bracing the belly pan as you describe should work ok.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Made my own to with hd cargo jacks "pics in profile album"
They work excellent! Less than $100.00 and they'll last forever .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #17

I mounted mine right to the belly pan that you showed and this weekend I did not have any issues out of them. I could really tell a difference up front since installing them. Now, down the road I might run into issues with them being mounted to that thin material, but for now it will work.
I decided I do need to add a set in the rear, I'm just not sure how I can do it. My rear jacks are mounted at a 45 degree angle in the rear so I will need to change that before I can add them there. That will likely be a winter project for me. Now I just need them to show back up for cheap on Amazon....
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I just checked and while I could do as dunnnc suggested the BAL arms are too short (he made his own wish I had the setup to do that kinda stuff). I measured the storage area and while I can't do the whole thing (battery box is on one side) I can put a 16"x48" piece of plywood in there and screw it down that should strengthen the whole thing and shouldn't flex.
You could also have a welding shop fab a 2 x 2 tube that will bolt to the jack posts and then bolt the stabs to that for a more rigid and permanent installation. Shouldn't be that costly and a lot better all the way around.