Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Barker 3500 Tongue jack switch help

I have this model tongue jack. the night light works fine on it however the other switch to raise and lower the jack does not work. I tried downloading the manual from the manufactures site but for some reason it wont download for me. I have emailed them but have not heard anything back from them. does anyone here have any ideas on this? I have replaced the fuse and such already. any help would be greatly appreciated.
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
I have this model tongue jack. the night light works fine on it however the other switch to raise and lower the jack does not work. I tried downloading the manual from the manufactures site but for some reason it wont download for me. I have emailed them but have not heard anything back from them. does anyone here have any ideas on this? I have replaced the fuse and such already. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just put a Barker 3500 on my trailer weekend before last. My up/down switch did not work out of the box. I removed the two screws on the side of the cover to remove the cover, and discovered the wire had slid off of the spade terminal (or was never placed on tight enough from the factory) on the up/down switch itself. I just slid it on the switch terminal and crimped it down a little harder with needle-nose pliers.

Another member commented they had to do the same thing. I sent Barker an email telling them they may have a production problem.

Check out posts # 9 and 11 from this forum, where we discussed this:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ack-39123.html

That's where I would start, and make sure the spade terminal connections are tight on the up/down switch. If yours is brand new, it may have been like ours....... or if it is used, the terminal may have slid off from road vibrations if it wasn't tightened enough from the factory.

Here is a schematic from Barkers site:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Will try this later tonite as that may be what it is...it was working and then the housing came loose from the jack..after we tightened it then it stopped working but it was twisted around ..
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Well looked at connections all are tight.. I had to splice added wire to mine as well to get to the battery... going to redo the splice tomorrow just in case it might have pulled apart a bit in the spliced area...if that doesn't work not sure what else it could be.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
it was working and then the housing came loose from the jack..after we tightened it then it stopped working but it was twisted around ..
Do you mind me asking how the housing came loose, as I am curious if this is something I will need to look for on mine?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire

Do you mind me asking how the housing came loose, as I am curious if this is something I will need to look for on mine?
Not sure just noticed it this last time we needed to hook up...never hurts to check the screws once in awhile though..
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Still have the problem. No response from barker via email do I will call tomorrow and ask them.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Still have the problem. No response from barker via email do I will call tomorrow and ask them.
May want to actually to check your battery. Just cause your lights work doesn't mean you have a good charge to your battery. Your light will not put a real load on your battery. Raising your trailer will put a load on your battery. I have a battery load tester, and it simple to do...only takes 10 seconds if you have a tester
Cacooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Call them don't e-mail they are very good people there. They will help you.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #10

Battery is good and fully charged. Was one of the first things we checked after the converter issue. I called barker and explained what I had and they asked me for my name and address . Asked how old the tongue jack is and said they was mailing me a free replacement. I am assuming its the switch and not entire thing but will soon find out.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #11

Update and need help

ok after almost 4 months and a second phone call I finally received the replacement switch for the tongue jack. however, I need help hooking it up. the old one only had 4 prongs and the replacement has 6 ...does anyone know which 2 the red and black wire will gone on? i tried to put them in the same positions as the old one but it doesn't work so i am assuming they are not in the right spots. seems so simple but the combination is not correct yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #12

Could you post pictures of the backs of the old and new switches?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

I called barker and got the right combo.. its faint now on the light and only the up works really slow. He said it sounds like i have a grounding issue as well going on. Sooo now I am in charging the battery on the tender charger and then I will need to start checking the fuse and such to see where I am having the issue at. Seems so simple yet its getting frustrating at the same time.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #14

I had a friend that had to replace his power jack switch and had the same problem. Even though the part number was the same on both switches the old had 4 contacts while the new had 6 contacts.

If you look carefully at the old switch you will notice that the 4 outside contacts are connected in pairs. The pairs are crossed so that the top right is connect to the bottom left and the top left is connected to the bottom right. This allows for one set of wires to be connected to the motor. Crossing the wires allow the reversing action. The middle two contacts are the power contacts. You need to have both the negative and positive wires connected to the switch to allow the reversing of polarity to the motor.

Your new switch does not have the contacts crossed and you will need to do it with jumpers. If you connect the motor to either of the top or bottom sets of contacts without the jumper then you will only get one direction.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #15

I was told by barker that I was to connect the power and ground (both red and black) to the center and the 2 yellow to the one end. I was also told to check my fuse area as well as where I had to splice into the wire as those tend to be areas of issues for loose or flimsy connections