Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #1

Barker 3500 Tongue jack switch help

I have this model tongue jack. the night light works fine on it however the other switch to raise and lower the jack does not work. I tried downloading the manual from the manufactures site but for some reason it wont download for me. I have emailed them but have not heard anything back from them. does anyone here have any ideas on this? I have replaced the fuse and such already. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
I have this model tongue jack. the night light works fine on it however the other switch to raise and lower the jack does not work. I tried downloading the manual from the manufactures site but for some reason it wont download for me. I have emailed them but have not heard anything back from them. does anyone here have any ideas on this? I have replaced the fuse and such already. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just put a Barker 3500 on my trailer weekend before last. My up/down switch did not work out of the box. I removed the two screws on the side of the cover to remove the cover, and discovered the wire had slid off of the spade terminal (or was never placed on tight enough from the factory) on the up/down switch itself. I just slid it on the switch terminal and crimped it down a little harder with needle-nose pliers.

Another member commented they had to do the same thing. I sent Barker an email telling them they may have a production problem.

Check out posts # 9 and 11 from this forum, where we discussed this:

Barker jack

That's where I would start, and make sure the spade terminal connections are tight on the up/down switch. If yours is brand new, it may have been like ours....... or if it is used, the terminal may have slid off from road vibrations if it wasn't tightened enough from the factory.

Here is a schematic from Barkers site:

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Will try this later tonite as that may be what it is...it was working and then the housing came loose from the jack..after we tightened it then it stopped working but it was twisted around ..
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Well looked at connections all are tight.. I had to splice added wire to mine as well to get to the battery... going to redo the splice tomorrow just in case it might have pulled apart a bit in the spliced area...if that doesn't work not sure what else it could be.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
it was working and then the housing came loose from the jack..after we tightened it then it stopped working but it was twisted around ..
Do you mind me asking how the housing came loose, as I am curious if this is something I will need to look for on mine?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire

Do you mind me asking how the housing came loose, as I am curious if this is something I will need to look for on mine?
Not sure just noticed it this last time we needed to hook up...never hurts to check the screws once in awhile though..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Still have the problem. No response from barker via email do I will call tomorrow and ask them.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Still have the problem. No response from barker via email do I will call tomorrow and ask them.
May want to actually to check your battery. Just cause your lights work doesn't mean you have a good charge to your battery. Your light will not put a real load on your battery. Raising your trailer will put a load on your battery. I have a battery load tester, and it simple to do...only takes 10 seconds if you have a tester
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Call them don't e-mail they are very good people there. They will help you.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #10

Battery is good and fully charged. Was one of the first things we checked after the converter issue. I called barker and explained what I had and they asked me for my name and address . Asked how old the tongue jack is and said they was mailing me a free replacement. I am assuming its the switch and not entire thing but will soon find out.