Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

bearing repack

When repacking the bearings on a ezlub system is it nessary to fill the void between the bearing or can you leave it empty. I have one wheel that I can not get the grease to flow. I know the bearings are greased good but the last time I back filled the void with grease. I thing the seal might be blocking the opening in the back. I've already check the zert and tried everything while the hud was off and there's no obstruction. It only a problem when I reinstalled the hub with the new seal and repacked bearing. Any ideas on what else could be causing this problem?
jamsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #2

You said that you checked the grease zerk, but I've had stubborn fittings that won't allow the grease to flow. Seems that they did not like my grease gun nozzle, so I vote for new zerks. An obstruction inside the spindle is not likely but possible. If the seal is blocking the flow then it's probably not seated properly.

I fill the void between inner/outer bearings about halfway before reassembly. Hope this helps.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

If I had this issue, I would pull the hub and handpack the bearings. That way I know that those two bearings are properly lubed. I don't want to find out halfway to that little town in Egypt that the bearing had failed due to inadequate grease. Grease is cheap, and my labor is even cheaper. Learn to handpack bearings....it's not difficult. Just remember to replace the rear seal.
Now ask me about that time many years ago when I pulled the bearings, packed them, and then replaced the rear seal. Got ready to reinstall the hub when it dawned on me.....crap! I had forgotten to reinstall the rear bearing!...geeez... So I wasted a brand new seal. Could I have reused it?....possibly, but it wasn't worth $3 which is what the seal cost at that time. I haven't forgotten to reinstall the bearing first since then..lol
Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Whenever I have the hubs off, I pump a little grease through the ezlub system while it's off just to flush it out and verify I still get good flow. There is always a little bit of "dirty" grease that comes out of the hole in the back of the spindle when I do.

2014 Wildcat 312BHX
2015 RAM 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Keisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

My grease gun didn't like the zerk fittings it came with for some reason, I must have put a tube and a half in all 4 wheels. Next time i couldn't pump anything, went to Napa and bought 4 new ones the problem was over. I change between color grease from Lukas and just do as the manual states been 4 years without any problems. Two years ago at Goshen they replaced my hubs with a more aggressive brake shoe. When I got home I changed the zerk to the Napa once again and removed the grease that came prepacked in, it was like water compared to Lukas. I was told to do that by the LCI techs that changed them out...Goshen IS GOOD..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisling View Post
Whenever I have the hubs off, I pump a little grease through the ezlub system while it's off just to flush it out and verify I still get good flow. There is always a little bit of "dirty" grease that comes out of the hole in the back of the spindle when I do.
Now that's actually a pretty good idea...

Thanks