Old 05-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
Site Team
Tread separation? My guess is it will be oval instead of round when you unmounted it. I had same thing on my last RV. Caught it while checking tires after another blew out.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
That tire is shot. Looks like some kind of tread separation. I would NOT use that tire!!! Unless you want to replace a blowout on the road and repair your TT's bodywork.

Just my opinion though.

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #13
You have exactly the same issue as I had with the MaraBombs on my previous SOB (Montana). My MaraBombs would start out on a trip looking like the one on the right ... after about 50 miles they would swell up and start looking like the old Model T ballon tires as yours does on the left. The belts failed in mine I was told. After they sat over night, they would go back to looking semi normal. There has been issue after issue with MaraBombs on other forums on the heavier campers 12K+ yet the manufactureres continue to sell them on new units. Yours will start having little bumps here and there and a tread line that raises above the others if you keep running them ... I've seen this over and over on MaraBombs others in my camping group had. Even though it says GoodYear on the side of your tire ... they are made in China like all other ST (trailer) tires sold in the US and I mean ALL. Many of us have gone with LT tires (Michelin, Firestone, BF Goodrich) if your weight isn't over their capacity ... otherwise GoodYear G614's are about the only other safe option. G614's are pricey! You can sell your MAraBombs to farmers to get back some of your money ... they slap them on their farm trailers that seldom see high mph and loads in excess of 12K. GET RID OF THOSE TIRES!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
Why not take that tire to a Goodyear dealer? The Marathons have a 6 year warranty. They should replace it. I'm not arguing for or against using these tires on your rig, that's up to you. BTW the Maxxis ST tires I purchased earlier this year were made in Thailand.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
tire bigger

My guess from prior episodes with it is the larger tire needs immediate replacement and adjustment from goodyear. It is about to separate the tread from the tire carcus.
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #16
That is a WTH question?!? Looks like 2 different tire profiles. The right one is a square profile and left a round profile. I just changed the tires on my truck and the new tires(different manufacture) look narrow and taller because of the profile, but are the same size as my old set.
2011 Puma Unleashed 365 QLB
2006 GMC HD Sierra SLT quad cab 4x4 6.6L LBZ Allison tranny
2008 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 H1
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
I had a tire do that on our class C a couple years ago.
They were the Michelin recalled tires.
I noticed it while on a trip at a fuel stop.
Tried to make it a few miles up the road to a tire shop but it blew before I got there.
I believe they called it tread separation.
Was covered under the tire warranty.
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Take The Road Less Travld
This can happen when the steel belts in the tire break. Just replace it with the spare for now and get it replaced. If it's under warranty, I'd go that route
"Take The Road Less Traveled"
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s
2013 Ford F150 FX4
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
Check the rim size. If one rim is wider that the other it would account for the squatty, wider tire profile.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Jerry01 View Post
All 3 other tires look the same. This is the only overinflated looking tire. All 4 tire pressures are within 1 psi of each other. This must have just happened because the tread looks normal and wearing evenly. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Looks like that rim may be more narrow than the other rim. Just an observation.

kg4gfv is offline   Reply With Quote