Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

Bearings

Planning on taking or Wildwood 28ckds dual axle TT cross country. Should we add bearing buddies or some other type of bearing packing before our trip. Florida to Utah
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Many people on here report their bearings were nearly dry when they picked up their trailer and had bearing failures. I certainly think you should have the bearings at least looked at prior to a long trip.

I wrote a recent tutorial on the EZ-Lube torsion axles by Dexter used on some trailers. Your might be one of them if you do not have leaf springs on your axles.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ob-158288.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

It's always a good idea the get your bearings inspected and repacked before a long road trip. I also recommend investing in a laser thermometer to check hub and tire temps every now and then while underway, best done when stopping for gas. Any anomaly, usually one especially high reading, can point to a potential problem that you can fix before something very not fun happens.
A little preventive maintenance equals peace of mind and an enjoyable trip.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #4

Quote:
I also recommend investing in a laser thermometer to check hub and tire temps every now and then while underway, best done when stopping for gas. Any anomaly, usually one especially high reading, can point to a potential problem that you can fix before something very not fun happens.
X2

There is not any "correct temp" you are looking for, rather you are looking for a higher temp from all the other readings you took after every couple of hours... a higher hub temp on one wheel indicates something is not right... SUN SIDE tires and hubs will run a few degrees higher typically.

Find the laser pointer temp guns at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool amog others.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Site Team

You don't say how old your RV is or how long it's been since the bearings were pulled and checked & repacked.

However, as mentioned above I would pull them and inspect the bearings, brakes, hubs, etc. & repack the bearings by hand before making a long trip. It's just good insurance.

That would also be a good time to order a set of bearings and seals to fit your unit.

I'd also go as far as checking the date on the tires and for any damage or cracking. If they're several years old, I'd replace then before the trip.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

From somebody who had a wheel bearing incident 1000 miles that pretty much ruined a two week vacation:

If you are not of the mechanical-DIY type person (like me), then find a good axle shop and take your RV in and have the wheel bearings repacked and all other brakes and suspension parts checked before you leave.

The piece of mind alone will more than make up for the $300 that was well spent!

I just did this, plus upgraded from 'D' to 'E' range tires on my 5'ver before I left on my full-time journey one month ago.

And, think about getting a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)...

I have one and it allows me to check my tire pressure without crawling around on the ground and while on the road, plus it will alert you to a tire pressure and temperture change.

First time I used it last year it alerted me to low pressure in one tire...found a nail in it!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
From somebody who had a wheel bearing incident 1000 miles that pretty much ruined a two week vacation:

If you are not of the mechanical-DIY type person (like me), then find a good axle shop and take your RV in and have the wheel bearings repacked and all other brakes and suspension parts checked before you leave.

The piece of mind alone will more than make up for the $300 that was well spent!

I just did this, plus upgraded from 'D' to 'E' range tires on my 5'ver before I left on my full-time journey one month ago.

And, think about getting a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)...

I have one and it allows me to check my tire pressure without crawling around on the ground and while on the road, plus it will alert you to a tire pressure and temperture change.

First time I used it last year it alerted me to low pressure in one tire...found a nail in it!
Agreed, I can't recommend a decent TPMS strongly enough, especially before a major trip. After much research I'm about to pull the trigger on a Truck Systems Technology unit. There are other options but if you search the topic in this forum you'll find they pretty much have set the bar; their customer service alone is unbeatable.
Tire failure is one of the biggest trip-spoilers around, a little added peace of mind is priceless for a more enjoyable, and safer, vacation.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #8

Inspect and Repack bearings before trip; also always new grease seals. Carry a spare inner/outer bearing, grease seal and some grease, just in case....
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Add me to the list of bearing failures on the road...not a pretty sight when it goes and did lots of damage on the way out. Luckily I had spare bearings onboard so it didn't inconvenience us significantly.

I had just done my bearings a few thousand miles earlier but overlooked a pitted bearing. That pitted bearing ultimately resulted in a failure on the road.

If you can wiggle the wheels (grasping from top of the tire) more than 1/8" you likely have an issue waiting to happen. I use this method & relative bearing temps to keep an eye on things when on a long trip if necessary.

As mentioned above, the $300 (or $500 in my area) to get your bearings done is a drop in the bucket compared to the grief you will have if you have a failure on the road.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

I did just order a TPMS. The TT is 2017. So we will take it to have them repacked before our trip this summer
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I didn't catch this typo until now...should have read:

"1000 miles from home!"
Old 05-04-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristofer.a View Post
I did just order a TPMS. The TT is 2017. So we will take it to have them repacked before our trip this summer
Just took our first trip with the TST monitoring system. Worked like a charm. Easy to set up, color monitor easy to read, and found I didn't need the repeater on a 26 foot trailer. Totally recommend....
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
Just took our first trip with the TST monitoring system. Worked like a charm. Easy to set up, color monitor easy to read, and found I didn't need the repeater on a 26 foot trailer. Totally recommend....
Very nice!

I can't believe how many years I've been pulling without my TireMinder...just got mine last year.

I have a 34-foot 5'ver and I don't need the repeater, either.

Got it in the box just in case!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #14

X2 on TPMS use the Valor system also checks temps, but it does not prevent a sudden blowout. Have bearings checked and repacked as needed every year.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #15

Did 2017 forest river rock wood #a213hw come with bearing buddies?
andy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy56 View Post
Did 2017 forest river rock wood #a213hw come with bearing buddies?
No but some boat trailers do! Youroo!!

Tags
bearings