Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #21

I didn't mention, I'll be doing mine this spring. It's a year old, only a few thousand miles towing, but I want to make sure that they're well done with good grease. After that I'll pull the caps yearly and pop the hubs off every two years to fully inspect and check the brakes.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #22

You folks need to get those wheels and drums off for an inspection. Basic mechanic hand tools, paper towels and a couple YouTube videos. My 2014 FR product with a couple thousand miles has already leaked one grease seal and shorted another brake magnet. Found the leak when I noticed one wheel not locking up on a gravel downslope, then the weak magnet issue surfaced when I used a Northern Tool thermal handheld gun to "shoot" the drums at a rest area. 240 Degrees on one drum (don't test the wheel) when the other three were at 90 degrees F on a 55 degree ambient evening. If mechanically backing off the shoes with a screwdriver doesn't cool off the drum then just cut one of the two wires going into the drum to disable the defective magnet. Continue your trip with three functioning brakes then look at the AL-KO.us web site for testing parameters on the suspected magnet. Page 18 for 5000 to 7000 lb axels calls for Coil Short Circuit or Coil to Housing Short test parameters to measure between 2.8 & 3.2 amps on multi-tester/ammeter. $28 from a trailer manufacturer or your RV dealer can order. Install, reassemble, adjust and move on to the other 3 spindles because now you want to make sure you can catch an issue before you get stranded. Upgrade your seals at NAPA, take them one of your old (clean) oil seal as they call it, and they can measure and order a premium double lip. You'll pay more for one than the original seals cost for all four, but you will feel better about it on you next long haul.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
You folks need to get those wheels and drums off for an inspection. Basic mechanic hand tools, paper towels and a couple YouTube videos. My 2014 FR product with a couple thousand miles has already leaked one grease seal and shorted another brake magnet. Found the leak when I noticed one wheel not locking up on a gravel downslope, then the weak magnet issue surfaced when I used a Northern Tool thermal handheld gun to "shoot" the drums at a rest area. 240 Degrees on one drum (don't test the wheel) when the other three were at 90 degrees F on a 55 degree ambient evening. If mechanically backing off the shoes with a screwdriver doesn't cool off the drum then just cut one of the two wires going into the drum to disable the defective magnet. Continue your trip with three functioning brakes then look at the AL-KO.us web site for testing parameters on the suspected magnet. Page 18 for 5000 to 7000 lb axels calls for Coil Short Circuit or Coil to Housing Short test parameters to measure between 2.8 & 3.2 amps on multi-tester/ammeter. $28 from a trailer manufacturer or your RV dealer can order. Install, reassemble, adjust and move on to the other 3 spindles because now you want to make sure you can catch an issue before you get stranded. Upgrade your seals at NAPA, take them one of your old (clean) oil seal as they call it, and they can measure and order a premium double lip. You'll pay more for one than the original seals cost for all four, but you will feel better about it on you next long haul.
That's very good advice, Thanks a lot from a non wrench turning member....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Chances are everything is fine. Here's what I'd do.

I'd take it to a trailer shop instead of an RV dealer, unless you just want to be without your camper for six months.

Ask them to clean, inspect and repack the bearings with high temp synthetic grease, replace the grease seals, clean and adjust the brakes.

Also ask them to rotate the tires. It's important for the trailer just like your truck.
See no need to rotate the tires as none of them are on a steering axle, but to each their own.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
See no need to rotate the tires as none of them are on a steering axle, but to each their own.
Hay OC a Question for you, I had new breaks and hubs put on at Goshen last year as you know. Do you think that just a couple of squirts of lukas 400 degree red will do the trick this year or should I have it taken in to my tire dealer as you know they put on that bigger magnet and new aggressive shoes. I don't need a problem, You know how I hate problems. Last year after 3 years they said my seals were still good, and I use to use green grease and then every year I changed color like red now so when I see the new color coming out I now I have new grease and it's full. I use the 400 degree grease from Napa. You know how picky I'm about my trailer? Thanks for your answer:.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Hay OC a Question for you, I had new breaks and hubs put on at Goshen last year as you know. Do you think that just a couple of squirts of lukas 400 degree red will do the trick this year or should I have it taken in to my tire dealer as you know they put on that bigger magnet and new aggressive shoes. I don't need a problem, You know how I hate problems. Last year after 3 years they said my seals were still good, and I use to use green grease and then every year I changed color like red now so when I see the new color coming out I now I have new grease and it's full. I use the 400 degree grease from Napa. You know how picky I'm about my trailer? Thanks for your answer:.....
I give mine a couple of pumps once a year and forget them. No problems.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The effects aren't as great on a trailer, but the wear patterns are there. Reversing them evens that pattern out.

If they're all off, it's neglible effort to swap sides.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
The effects aren't as great on a trailer, but the wear patterns are there. Reversing them evens that pattern out.

If they're all off, it's neglible effort to swap sides.
If you are seeing a wear problem, it must be alignment. Been pulling tandem axle trailers since 1960 and never experienced any wear pattern and I measure tread wear quite religiously. You are correct in saying that if you have all 4 wheels off at the same time, it is easy to rotate them, but I would start checking for alignment problems.

Tags
bearings, brakes