Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Always Learning

Bearings, brakes, and what else have I been neglecting?

So... it is painful admission time. I've owned the camper since July 2012 and is has been towed for somewhere between 10- and 15,000 miles. Maybe a little more, I'd have to check my notes.

The only thing that I've done was replaced the tires after about 4,000 miles.

Other than head shakes and finger wagging, can y'all tell me what I need to have done? I'm going to have to find a trailer shop in the area to do the work. I assume that for most of this, I'm better off not going to a RV dealer or service center and instead go directly to someone who does trailer work. Right?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Their is going to be some mixed opinions here but here is mine. I worked in shops for about 7 years before I changed careers. One we did a lot bearing re packs. That said I have had my toy hauler about the same amount time you've had your camper. I have had to take my drums off due to wiring inside needing repaired which thank goodness for the P3 or I would have never known. So I was able to give my brakes, bearings, and grease a good look. All looked fine grease was same color as new and bearings looked great. With the experience I have had doing bearings and countless repacks between vehicles and trailers. As long you don't have a blown out seal and from a visual inspection of the grease looking ok I've never seen any reason behind packing once a year like some may tell you. Granted the bearings used in our campers aren't of the quality of the older cars and trucks that used have bearings in the front that were repackable. Heat is the killer of bearings no matter how great they are. I have checked my bearings every time I stop for gas by sticking my fingers between wheel and drum and are always just barley warm. Which tells me my grease is good and bearings are adjust properly. The biggest thing I would check which is easy and can be done at home if you want is check you bearings for play. Jack up each wheel and grab top and bottom of tire and move back and forth. I did have to adjust me bearings after the first year but that's been it. I also have the ez lube axles which I'm sure you do also. I've put a few pumps in twice since owning the camper. Here is something that may make you feel better. My father in law has a 05 camper and has never had the bearings repacked just puts some grease in the end of the spindles once a year just a couple pumps. So the choice is yours on how much work or spend to have the work done.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

We are in same situation, I kinda freaked out after realizing we had 10,000 miles and had done nothing, especially after reading opinions on the forum. Talked to my brother mechanic and he said he would be glad to do it but wasn't sure it was necessary. We always feel the tires and hubs at gas stops always cool. We want to hit the road but now I am kinda nervous, hubby is not

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
We are in same situation, I kinda freaked out after realizing we had 10,000 miles and had done nothing, especially after reading opinions on the forum. Talked to my brother mechanic and he said he would be glad to do it but wasn't sure it was necessary. We always feel the tires and hubs at gas stops always cool. We want to hit the road but now I am kinda nervous, hubby is not

Don't get nervous, you will be fine, if you have the easy lube system just have your DH put a pump of 400 degree lube in, get the high temp lube from Napa or any other auto store. Do not over grease them. 1 pump twice a year is plenty...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #5

You should adjust your brakes if they're not self adjusting.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Doug, You can bring it to either, whichever is more convenient. If you know a landscaper or contractor that gets his equipment repaired get the name. Referrals are usually the best.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Chances are everything is fine. Here's what I'd do.

I'd take it to a trailer shop instead of an RV dealer, unless you just want to be without your camper for six months.

Ask them to clean, inspect and repack the bearings with high temp synthetic grease, replace the grease seals, clean and adjust the brakes.

Also ask them to rotate the tires. It's important for the trailer just like your truck.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

I think the "re-pack bearings every year" vs every few years is similar to the "change your oil every 3000 miles" vs every 5000 or 7500 miles.

To each his own.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Its also due for an anode rod inspection. Additional, roof cleaning and inspection.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Its also due for an anode rod inspection. Additional, roof cleaning and inspection.

Those I do. It's just the axles/wheels/tires area that are completely foreign to me.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Always Learning

Ok, good input so far. I appreciate the comments- keep 'em coming. I do actually know someone who does pool work and has various equipment trailers. I'll ask them.

The one trailer place that I know of- I'd be terrified to get into/out of their parking lot at my size. They were good with our pop-up and brake controller for the Durango, though!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Those I do. It's just the axles/wheels/tires area that are completely foreign to me.
You can take it to any mechanic you want to have that done, besides it will be cheaper then a rip off RV dealer. You could also jack your tire off the ground and see if you have any play by pushing the bottom or the top of the tire back and forth. If you have movement it is time.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So... it is painful admission time. I've owned the camper since July 2012 and is has been towed for somewhere between 10- and 15,000 miles. Maybe a little more, I'd have to check my notes.

The only thing that I've done was replaced the tires after about 4,000 miles.

Other than head shakes and finger wagging, can y'all tell me what I need to have done? I'm going to have to find a trailer shop in the area to do the work. I assume that for most of this, I'm better off not going to a RV dealer or service center and instead go directly to someone who does trailer work. Right?

I'm generally in the same place as you, except about 1 year newer (June '13). I've never really worried about the wheels other than keeping an eye on the tires. That is until my brother threw a bearing last fall. His failure to maintain his wheels resulted in a shredded spindle and a $1500 axle replacement. Now it's in my to-do list for the spring, but having never repacked bearings since grade 8 shop class I'm a little hesitant to do the job myself.

So from the other posts on here, can I assume that as long as there's no grease leaking it shouldn't be critical?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #14

bearings brakes and what else have i neglicted

I now believe in once a year inspection after the self adj brakes failed to adj and the shop found a broken spring and the adjusting whell riding around in the drum, all before the tt was 1 year old
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #15

I take our TT in every year for the state mandated inspections. I always ask the mechanic to check the bearings. He ends up pulling and re-packing every other year or every third year. Ends up like 5-7k miles between re-packing.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #16
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I totally agree with bearing/brake inspection. However it should be said that to have the bearings inspected the inner seals will need to be replaced. Bearing inspection includes remove, clean, inspect, repack. I do my own (ex-mechanic), local trailer shop wants $300+ to complete. Dealers want $$$$$$$$
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #17

I have no idea about other states - but in NY all trailers need an annual inspection. But, unlike a car, there is no inspection sticker, so a lot of them never get inspected. And, the state sets the fee at $6. Turns out, if the trailer has breaks, the inspector is required to pull a wheel. Had my previous trailer inspected at several shops for 12 years - never even new they were supposed to do that.

But to the point, current dealer does that. Their deal is if you make an appointment for an inspection and tell them you want to wait on it, they do the inspection at a set time, and the owner is more than welcome to watch the mechanic pull the wheel to look at the brakes. They look at the bearings as well and give you a recommendation on when its time to repack. Then its your choice - do it yourself, have them do it, or just do nothing and hope. They don't just go by "every 12 months or 5,000 miles" - they show you what they see, and give you a recommendation. Since they are always busy, they don't seem to feel the need to push un-needed service work.

And, the service guys are pretty dead set against using the grease fittings on the easy lube axles. They see a lot of rigs with blown seals. There recommendation has been to not use the grease fittings. Just repack every couple years as needed.

So, if you can find a good shop that will let you look over their shoulder, you can learn a lot about what to look for. And even if you pay them to do the work, its a lot cheaper and a lot less headache than a bearing failure while traveling.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #18

The what else in the OP's post might also include lube of the suspension system, our Silverback has zerk fittings on the shackles.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #19

In the State Of Virginia, You need to get your trailers inspected yearly and they put a sticker on. They have to pull your break drum and check the bearings all lights and the breaking system in general. The cost is $16.00 well worth the money just a PIA to drag the trailer to them. If they find a bad bearing or something you get a slip that say's what is wrong and why it failed and go's into the State Computer system. Get stopped and your pass due, big fine for the violation. They give you 30 day's to get the repair made. If you ever get stopped in Virginia the first thing they look at is your car and trailer dates of inspection.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #20

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to repack the bearings. Some take the simple approach and some go the in-depth route. Either way, it is something that needs to be done. Kind of like painting the house or trimming the bushes(I hate to do either). If you have a buddy that can show you (hands on) how to do it, you'll be all set. And kick yourself for not learning years ago and paying the other guy all that money. I was the same way, and sometimes wondered if the work was even done. I haven't had a problem(yet) but I have peace of mind that it was done(by me)!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, brakes