Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Beefing up a frame for additional towing capacity

Wife and I are looking at a number of different RVs to buy, both TTs and 5th wheels. What she does NOT want is a toy hauler. But I want toys. I think, optimally, I'd want two quads. My plan was to buy a TT and then put the quads on a platform on the bed of the truck (F-450). But if we decide on a 5th wheel then my dream of ATV fun may be at an end. Unless...

Worst case, I think, we'd be towing a weight of, maybe, 2200#. So a Class II hitch would cover it, but just welding on the hitch doesn't cover it. The frame of the RV has to handle it as well.

Do people often "beef up" their frames to tow another trailer behind their RV? What's involved in undertaking such a task? Or is this a patently bad idea?

Thanks for your help!
abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Always Learning

First, most folks will tell you its a bad idea - but I doubt many of them have done it. I haven't and when I look at the double-tows, all I can think of is "Daaayuuum! No thanks."

That said, there are people doing it safely - it takes engineering and time to perfect your setup.

You're in a state (Colorado) where (I think) it's legal as long as you stay under maximum limits. But, be aware - each states' laws differ and if you're going to drive into/through other states, you need to be aware of those laws.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

+1 E!

Yes here in Colorado it is 70'. Anything more requires a permit. Utah is 65' again anything more needs a permit. I have not read all other states but it is similar for the most part. A few states don't allow doubles.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #4

I live in Minnesota, 70' is the max. I pull my ranger boat. All I can say is make sure you can all ways drive a head. Reverse can be done but it is next to impossible. I got in to a tight spot last year and had to wait for people to move
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

75' in Louisiana I think, though the last TT set up was 81' with double tow. This is where the fifth wheel had the advantage since some of that usable length was in the bed of the truck. I don't hesitate doing it. I've read all the don't do it stuff, but there is a "right" way to do it. Put a rear cam if wanted as cheap insurance, plan your gas stops and away you go. Dump first trailer off right before camp site, back RV in, move other trailer. It was routine for us until we got the MH. I've never beefed up a frame as there really wasn't any need to, but tongue weight was not much either. You can look in my photo album to see a few hitches I've done. Fifth wheel one was comparible to a class IV or V, TT was a little less beefy. Mostly towed 17' aluminum basstracker behind them. If all you're towing is ATV's, I'd be double towing. Very few around the house that don't double tow with the golf cart craze. Some argue about it voiding the warranty if you weld on the frame. On some if not most, if not preapproved by the manf, it does. I've never bothered worrying about it, cause if the frame has problems due to manufacturer defect, I'd probably fix it myself anyway. Not an option for everybody. If you have a good welder friend or good welding shop around, have at it and make it "Yours". Just my opinion, and there will be many different ones on here for sure.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

I should have told you on the first one. It was a 91 excel we did beef it up just because we work with iron all day and needed something to do. The on that I am taking delivery when it quits snowing, I payed the dealer to up it on. They charged me $550. Yes I could have done it cheaper but now that is one less thing I have to worry about
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Team

just so you know, any mods like this to the frame, will void the frame manufacturer's warranty.
so, if it's a used unit, then go for it.
just make sure it's not an ultralight trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
The on that I am taking delivery when it quits snowing, I payed the dealer to up it on. They charged me $550.
I'm not sure I understood what you meant by "up it on"?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post

I'm not sure I understood what you meant by "up it on"?
Put it on
Old 04-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #10

Just curious why your DW doesn't want to look at THs They have come along way in the past few years ...... Not so man cave looking now......

Ours has cherry cabinets & looks about like any other 5th wheel.... other than a garage which is super nice as an extra room.......... Ours sleeps 10 easy & gives the kids (grown) privacy in the spare (their) room.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

I think the toy haulers are pretty darn nice, but they're also pretty darn expensive. It's just her preference, and it's possible that the smell of gas/oil/ATV spreads from the garage area to the living area. What's been your experience with that?

minnranger, when you said you had the dealer put something on, what was it they put on? The hitch? What kind of hitch was it? Was there not another hitch on there? How much are you planning on pulling?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #12

I had them put a hitch on my 2013 puma 259rbss. I have not seen what hitch they put on yet. It just snowed 13" in Minnesota so I did not bring it home yet. I will be pulling my 17 1/2 foot ranger bass boat behind it.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #13

Are you concerned at all about the stress the hitch puts on the frame of the RV?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

We have not had issues with smell but it has a seperate garage Ours is a 35.5' Puma Unleashed out the door taxes & everything under 30K. Last summer probably a little more this year.............. Alot of the owners really like the 351THSS floor plan (About the same price) we have the 356QLB ours is heavy on the front end (Our needs a Duelly 2600+ tongue wt).
Good Luck........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote