Old 09-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Zooming in looks like the springs are bent. Are the spring hangers straight?
Not sure. I took it back to storage yard but will have to check this weeks. What am I to look for? Adding more pictures to see if they help.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #12

CuzED from my experience there should be a slight bow in your axle, however I think it is supposed to bow the other way I'm not real sure about this though. Take a look at the front axle and see if its bowing the same way. Others will chime in. And with it being a 2016 I would contact Coachmen.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
DDC

Axles should be bowed, if you look from the rear you should see they are bowed up in the centre.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Axles should be bowed, if you look from the rear you should see they are bowed up in the centre.
The bow in the center is so the wheel is slightly tipped out at the top when stationary. In theory the axle will bend down straight under load while traveling and the wheel will be closer to straight up and down. If your wheel is tipped out at the bottom you've got axle AND spring problems. A commercial truck spring shop can bend your axle and replace your springs.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #15

With a date of 9/15 everything should still be under warranty including the tires. I would call the selling dealership and the manufacturers rep.

The position of the nut on the u bolt makes me wonder if it is tight. If it slid back some it would cause uneven tire wear an tweak your springs.

I would pull that tire and see if everything is tight and square. Measure distances on both sides. Some axles have a bow in them, but I've never seen tandem axles that are different on the same trailer. I am sure not an axle expert though.

Does the front axle match the rear?

Changing out springs is a very straightforward job.I've done 6 sets as maintenance on my boat trailers in the last 2 years. Saltwater never sleeps.

Good eye finding it.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #16

Do not point to the axle just yet. Look at all four tire leaf springs. The one in the picture looks weak and bent. Hit a curb or pot hole really hard?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzEd View Post
Upgrade to what? I am so new to this and not much of a vehicle guy. Very mechanically inclined, just haven't done much of it.

The axles are rated in pounds. Yours by the description are 3500#. I assume you prolly have 5 bolt axles and this maybe the limit on 5 bolts. I know some 4?00 to 5200 are 6 bolt.

Sad part is that you shouldn't have to rebuild a new trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #18

Haven't hit anything!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Do not point to the axle just yet. Look at all four tire leaf springs. The one in the picture looks weak and bent. Hit a curb or pot hole really hard?
Both sides have almost the exact same tire wear. I only took pictures of the left side(suspension, and right side tire) as it was easier to get under that side of the trailer. The axle has a slight bow up in the center and then both sides have a 4.6mm bow up(bent) on the ends. I would think that if I hit a pot hole or curb(which I haven't) it would be on one side of the trailer only.....
Old 09-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
The axle has a slight bow up in the center
Normal, its camber.

Quote:
and then both sides have a 4.6mm bow up(bent) on the ends. I would think that if I hit a pot hole or curb(which I haven't) it would be on one side of the trailer only.....

If its both sides the spindles are bent, usually an indicator of being overloaded.

Find a good shop that does trailer alignments and suspension.

Tags
bent, axle