Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Bent Stabilizer Brackets

Just noticed today as I was putting the trailer back in storage...anyone know what might have caused this? Think it is covered by warranty? I can't imagine I had too much weight on them as I generally try to leave some weight on the tongue jack as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2524202840.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	16040   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1617470255.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	16041  
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve
Just noticed today as I was putting the trailer back in storage...anyone know what might have caused this? Think it is covered by warranty? I can't imagine I had too much weight on them as I generally try to leave some weight on the tongue jack as well.

Can't tell but are the stabs in the back?

If so id say they drug a bit over a curb. Imo

They appear to be pretty low by the picture.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

It appears to be the front by the looks of the frame mounting (looks like the V from the tongue).
They look like fairly thin metal brackets (probably sure all of the LPI ones are) like mine are, so maybe too much load put on them? I know we were told not to try to pick up the camper with our power stabs, since they are just stabalizers, not levelers. Just go until both are firm on the ground, then just a little more for grandma and you should be good. I did make the big mistake last hookup and forgot to bring in the stabs before raising the tongue jack. Suprized mine don't look like that after that. I got the whole jack pad off the ground before the thought crossed my mind...
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

Can't tell but are the stabs in the back?

If so id say they drug a bit over a curb. Imo

They appear to be pretty low by the picture.
They are the front ones after I lowered the tongue jack for storage...am sure they didn't hit anything.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6
It appears to be the front by the looks of the frame mounting (looks like the V from the tongue).
They look like fairly thin metal brackets (probably sure all of the LPI ones are) like mine are, so maybe too much load put on them? I know we were told not to try to pick up the camper with our power stabs, since they are just stabalizers, not levelers. Just go until both are firm on the ground, then just a little more for grandma and you should be good. I did make the big mistake last hookup and forgot to bring in the stabs before raising the tongue jack. Suprized mine don't look like that after that. I got the whole jack pad off the ground before the thought crossed my mind...
That's probably how they bent. I was on an uneven site, low in back, so in order to get the trailer level the tongue was only a few inches off the ground. Not enough travel in the tongue jack to get it high enough to hitch up so I used the stabs to hold it up while I put blocks under the jack to retract it and get it higher. Not sure how else to level front to back???
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #6

If you have that problem frequently, I would say get a couple of jacks and keep them with you. Then you can put the weight on them to do stuff like that. Some small scissor ones should do the trick and stay lightweight.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
camping

its the thin metal - you can see how mine is also bent. I got rid of the original jacks and replaced with scissor jacks that I attached to the "v" part of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front jack.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	16058  

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote