Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Bent Torflex axle on new Mini Lite

Can backing a Mini Lite (dual axle Torflex) SLOWLY over a 3 inch curb cause a Dexter Torflex axle to bend? That seems to be what happened to my 2016 Mini Lite 2304 while backing into my driveway. The left rear axle wheel seems fine, but the left front has over an inch of negative camber. This may not be relevant, but I just returned from a camping trip that I had to level the trailer quite a bit on the same side as the bent axle. Two Camco leveling blocks worth (both wheels). Very poorly graded RV site. I will be calling the dealer in the morning, just need any input. Thanks.
rbrak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken, the end of a Dexter Torflex is replaceable.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Are you sure it's bent and not a bearing problem?

Unless you were twisting it pretty hard against the curb, backing over one, especially 3" high shouldn't hurt it.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Thought is was a wheel bearing, but for that to be the case one would think I would have heard something being the wheel had at least a half inch negative camber. The left rear wheel had a slight positive camber. Called Dexter Axles and was told to move the trailer at least ten feet to see if the wheels straighten out. They did not. They said it could be wheel bearings. I raised the trailer on the frame member directly behind the left rear wheel. Both front and rear wheels became elevated enough to feel for wheel bearing play. There was fair mount of play in the rear wheel (the one with the slight positive camber), but not in the front wheel. I adjusted the wheel bearings on the rear wheel and lowered the trailer. The camber on both wheels went back to normal (little or no camber). So Dexter Axles appear to have some lateral play when the wheels are torqued inward or outward at the bottom going over a curb at a less than 90 degree angle. I called Dexter back and explained what happened and they said it appears that nothing was damaged but to look for tire wear the next few trips. I also asked what holds the spindle support arm in place. The only thing keeping the spindle arm, spindle and wheel in place are the four rubber torsion bands in the square axle tube. The tubes themselves are only 14 to 20 inches long depending on axle rating. Mine is 3000#. Lesson learned: don't back a Torflex axle over a curb.

SidecarFlip: Dexter does make removable spindles on Torflex axles, but mine do not have them. If the spindle was bent the entire axle would need to be replaced.
rbrak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

The rubber rods are replaceable, they loose their ability to flex over time as the rubber hardens from age. If you are ever in the area of the factory, they have an on premises store where all the components are available.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Jockeying around some dual axle trailers especially in tight spaces, can cause the wheels to temporarily appear be out of alignment/camber/caster. Before you go to great lengths to do a repair, I would move the TT straight back and forward a few feet to see if that corrects the issue. Any time I jockey mine, I always try to move straight forward and backward to insure that everything is aligned so it is not sitting that way. I do this even when pulling into site at campground. I would also make some inexpensive wood ramps if you will be navigating that curb on a regular basis.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

I'm glad I read these posts, I have noticed at times the camber seems to be different between the wheels and then later are the same.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Jockeying around some dual axle trailers especially in tight spaces, can cause the wheels to temporarily appear be out of alignment/camber/caster. Before you go to great lengths to do a repair, I would move the TT straight back and forward a few feet to see if that corrects the issue. Any time I jockey mine, I always try to move straight forward and backward to insure that everything is aligned so it is not sitting that way. I do this even when pulling into site at campground. I would also make some inexpensive wood ramps if you will be navigating that curb on a regular basis.
x2. My hybrid had those axel's and did the same thing every time I backed into the yard.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bent