Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE7ONE View Post
Greetings Forum Members,

First, I have a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite T195BH, 2012 Purchased in 2013 as inventory close-out, about 2000 Miles so far. On the way back from last trip (Sep 1, 2014), I noticed that my left tire was wearing excessively on the outside, the right side was wearing unevenly on the inside and outside. Determining that tire pressure needed to be checked, I had about 35 PSI in each. Pumped them up to about 55 PSI, but still noticed that the wheels were canted inward at the top of the tires, which would be consistent with the tires "cupping" the way they are. When I got under the trailer when we got home, I noticed that even with my poor eyesight, my axel was less than straight. Pulled out the 4 foot level and found my axel is horribly bent between both wheels and the leaf spring mount to the axel. The right wheel bearing is fine - no play or dragging, the left has a perceptible but acceptable play in the bearing. The axel is a Lippert Components axel, and I have never overloaded the trailer with secondary cargo (loaded stuff in the trailer instead of the truck). Does anyone else have or has had similar issues or know if someone else has had this issue? The websight is less than helpful for information, and looks like they have plausible deniability when it comes to end-component quality control.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Rich
What is the recommendation on cold pressure rating for your unit or tires on the sticker? There should also be a sticker on the axle someplace that will tell you what they are rated for. Is this a duel or single axle unit?

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #12

Ok everyone read carefully.
I have a 2014 wildwood 27 ft travel trailer. I had 2000 miles of travel on the travel trailer and ended up having a flat tire coming back from myrtle beach. When I pulled the tire off, all the tread had wore off the inside of the tire. Upon further inspection the other 3 tires had 1/4 to 1/2 of the tread worn off. Lucky I was less then 100 miles from home when this happened. So I called the dealer right after changing tire and made an appointment to bring my trailer in. After weeks of waiting to hear from dealership I called and guess what. Both axles were bent. So yes inside tire wear can be caused from bent axles. I have never hit a curve nor overloaded the trailer. My suggestion is take it to dealership and have them check it out. The dealership told me that they had to call forest river factory and they walked them through taking the measurement to determine if the axles were installed in the correct position and that's how they determined the axles were bent. It is getting repaired right now and they are replacing all 4 tire and rims. Lucky my camper was still under warranty or this would have cost me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_100231.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	62186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140726_100555.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	62187  

Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #13

Happyttower, do you know which axle was on it Dexter or AL-KO? Was it a torsion axle? And yes you were lucky. It could have cost you plenty. Glad you made it home alright, It seems to me either they are good from the start or bad. You would think that would have this down by now, all the axle they install. The frames I have seen the axle are on the frames already shipped to FR. At least that is what I think I saw 2 years ago at the plant. They have them stacked 10 high. You would think they would do a laser check somewhere down the line, but I don't remember seeing that in production. Or maybe I missed it. The good news for you they are putting new axles, tires and rims, but once again a person who can't camp the reason for buying it. Good Luck with the repair job, hope you got at least a decent dealer. This is what gets me they have to call to find out. A dealer needs to get there repaired people trained from both FR and Lippert.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

I just had my 2013 coachman freedom express 310BHDS at the dealer with the same problem on the rear axle only. Took several pictures and measurements, along with the level test on the underside of the axle. Results, rear axle with very little flex and gap. Both tires were wearing on the inside. Different results. For the front, which was wearing fine. The front axle had a arch gap of 1/4 while loaded up. End result. Lippert would not send any parts to dealership, even though the trailer was under its first year warranty because they saw no evidence from pictures of any defects. I questioned the tire wear and the axle arch gap and they said that I could have overloaded the trailer. I said if that was the case then why is the front axle normal. I got no response. I had to buy all the parts including a new axle and pay for all labor and now wait till Lippert examines my old axle to determine if its a factory defective part., WE ALL KNOW HOW THIS IS GOING TO END... I am so mad about this procedure due to the fact that this trailer is under warranty and I have had no recourse but to pay around 1000.00 dollars in parts and labor + fuel and a day off of work to get my new trailer fixed. I am glad that the dealership was in agreement with my findings and they have expressed this to Lippert and Forest River. However I am the one right now with the expense. This is not the way to guarantee repeat customer loyalty or good business practice. Camping is a hobby and life style and not a life necessity. Spending thousands of dollars on these units and being treated like its all your fault when something goes wrong is not right. Sorry for the rant but I hope this response is an eye opener for somebody else to be aware of and be prepared.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

How could you over load the back and not the front to. In the back you might have water tank but that's about it. Hope you get your money back, All they do is pass the buck til you the buyer gets stuck. That's just not right I agree. How can they even say you overloaded it. Did they weight it? Hope it works out for you.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #16

I am not sure which axles were on mine but when I get it back I will ask the dealer which ones they were.
I can not believe a company would treat people like that. For you to spend thousands of dollars on their product and to be out another couple thousand when clearly it is their craftsmanship that's the problem. I believe this one will be the last Forest River product that I will ever buy just for the simple fact that so many people on here have alot of problems with their travel trailer from the the start. I could understand having some issues years down the road but like mine I had 2000 travel miles on mine and found major problem. I just don't understand companies now days. What ever happen to taking care of customers.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyttowner View Post
I am not sure which axles were on mine but when I get it back I will ask the dealer which ones they were.
I can not believe a company would treat people like that. For you to spend thousands of dollars on their product and to be out another couple thousand when clearly it is their craftsmanship that's the problem. I believe this one will be the last Forest River product that I will ever buy just for the simple fact that so many people on here have alot of problems with their travel trailer from the the start. I could understand having some issues years down the road but like mine I had 2000 travel miles on mine and found major problem. I just don't understand companies now days. What ever happen to taking care of customers.
That's today world, What is the funny part is that FR will fight with you or maybe the dealer, don't really know. What I do know is that FR will only pay the dealer a certain amount to correct something and dealers do not all want to eat it. some will through they are the good dealers. What gets me is at the Rally they will fix anything without saying a word free if in warranty or not. It's good PR I guess, but they would be better off repairing things without question during your warranty period. To me that would be better PR. Some of these things are just repeated over and over with certain units. Wouldn't you think they would look into it and find out what they are doing wrong on the line and fix the problem?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #18

While on the subject of axles, how and where do you place jack to change tires on a torq flex axle?
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #19

All jacking should take place on the frame rails of the trailer. Get yourself some 4 by 4 blocks of wood to use as spacers I put your jack on I would only use a bottle jack they seem to be very reliable and very strong
Old 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #20

The bent axle was not only problem I've had with my chassis its been back to the shop four times for grease on the brakes due to poor quality in grease seals finally they replaced the entire braking and seals system it seems to be working now...

Tags
bent, axles