Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 96
They are Hercules power STR in a 215/75/14. Although they are made in China, they had very few complaints that I could find. So far they wearing much better, and run much cooler. This will be my second season running with them.

Its not much more capacity, but the alternative was to go to a 15" rim and tire set up. The Kumho 857's are not available in Canada, and the Maxxis were only available in 15" locally when I was looking.
__________________

__________________
'07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC 4x2
'16 Surveyor 226RBDS
Nights camped 2016 - 3
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 96
Also forgot to mention they also have a "L" speed rating as well (75mph)
__________________

__________________
'07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC 4x2
'16 Surveyor 226RBDS
Nights camped 2016 - 3
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 127
my 2013 salem 27rkss is in the shop right now for repairs. I bought the trailer new less than a year ago when the 2014's came out. it has about 2-3000 miles on it. both axles bent, all 4 leaf springs bad. all 5 tires bad. dry rot and big bubbles on sidewalls.

dropped it off about 3 weeks ago for repairs, and told them I HAD to have it back by now because of a trip I have to take... it's not gonna be ready and now it's going to cost me $500 for hotels for the trip plus the inconvenience of not having my unit with me.

just my wife and I, and the trailer has NEVER been overloaded. it appears FR is using too light weight components on these units.

to say I am unhappy with both FR and my dealer now is an understatement. I talked to the GM of the dealership and also the Forest River rep late Friday, they promised to get on it Monday morning but I leave Wednesday and fairly confident there is no way it will be fixed by then. I think I am done with FR products, and possibly this dealership as well.
__________________
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
my 2013 salem 27rkss is in the shop right now for repairs. I bought the trailer new less than a year ago when the 2014's came out. it has about 2-3000 miles on it. both axles bent, all 4 leaf springs bad. all 5 tires bad. dry rot and big bubbles on sidewalls.

dropped it off about 3 weeks ago for repairs, and told them I HAD to have it back by now because of a trip I have to take... it's not gonna be ready and now it's going to cost me $500 for hotels for the trip plus the inconvenience of not having my unit with me.

just my wife and I, and the trailer has NEVER been overloaded. it appears FR is using too light weight components on these units.

to say I am unhappy with both FR and my dealer now is an understatement. I talked to the GM of the dealership and also the Forest River rep late Friday, they promised to get on it Monday morning but I leave Wednesday and fairly confident there is no way it will be fixed by then. I think I am done with FR products, and possibly this dealership as well.
Replacing both axles and springs is less than an 8 hr job. In fact, in a properly equipped shop, 2 mechanics could do it in 3 hrs or less.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Replacing both axles and springs is less than an 8 hr job. In fact, in a properly equipped shop, 2 mechanics could do it in 3 hrs or less.
I went up to talk to the service manager face to face this morning. IF he can get parts on Monday he said he can have it fixed in time. he will call me at 10am Monday to let me know the status. I have to go ahead and find a hotel room for a week just in case, and hope I can cancel it later.
__________________
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #36
Incheon, S. Korea
 
BigBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Incheon, South Korea
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
I went up to talk to the service manager face to face this morning. IF he can get parts on Monday he said he can have it fixed in time. he will call me at 10am Monday to let me know the status. I have to go ahead and find a hotel room for a week just in case, and hope I can cancel it later.
It sounds like you need to file a complaint with the NHTSA(?) and so does everyone else that has had this problem.
I know from now on I'm going to check the axle rating on any new trailer I buy.
__________________
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 127
picked up my trailer from my dealer today. Forest river upgraded my axles, springs, wheels and tires under warranty. they even popped for aluminum wheels instead of the painted steel ones. Could be my imagination, but it feels like the trailer tows easier now. Bad news is they did not make the deadline for my trip, so I had to stay in a hotel which cost me $500 for the week vs staying in the camper for free. other fly in the ointment is a small dent in the siding that was not there when I dropped the trailer off. Dealer is going to order replacement panel and repair the siding this fall after I finish with the trailer for the season.

wife and I are camping this coming weekend. I was in love with my trailer before all this, now not so much. only time will tell if my confidence and love for the camper returns.
__________________
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #38
Rivnut
 
Rivnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Monterey, TN cumberland Plateau
Posts: 157
Kow how you feel, I was in love with this new trailer, but after the sloppy factory work, not so anymore. It's my last one anyway.
__________________
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
have 2014 xlr thunderbolt 300x12, have bent back axle, want them to upgrade but don't think they will, have two 6000lb axles this unit should have been higher on the axles. you put on golf cart or one motorcycle you are stressing the axles. Sold as toy hauler oh yeah you can put two full dresser in there. This is not the case. Warrantee will replace but to keep family and traveling public safe should have a 7000 lb or higher axles on this unit. Like always, will it take someone to die before Forest River admits it is building units and selling for use that they can't handle safely.
__________________
dmazzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #40
Rivnut
 
Rivnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Monterey, TN cumberland Plateau
Posts: 157
can you offer to pay the extra for upgraded axles. I would just do it anyway if they are not going to help.
rivnut
__________________

__________________
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bent, axles

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.