Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #31

They are Hercules power STR in a 215/75/14. Although they are made in China, they had very few complaints that I could find. So far they wearing much better, and run much cooler. This will be my second season running with them.

Its not much more capacity, but the alternative was to go to a 15" rim and tire set up. The Kumho 857's are not available in Canada, and the Maxxis were only available in 15" locally when I was looking.

Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #32

Also forgot to mention they also have a "L" speed rating as well (75mph)

Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #33

my 2013 salem 27rkss is in the shop right now for repairs. I bought the trailer new less than a year ago when the 2014's came out. it has about 2-3000 miles on it. both axles bent, all 4 leaf springs bad. all 5 tires bad. dry rot and big bubbles on sidewalls.

dropped it off about 3 weeks ago for repairs, and told them I HAD to have it back by now because of a trip I have to take... it's not gonna be ready and now it's going to cost me $500 for hotels for the trip plus the inconvenience of not having my unit with me.

just my wife and I, and the trailer has NEVER been overloaded. it appears FR is using too light weight components on these units.

to say I am unhappy with both FR and my dealer now is an understatement. I talked to the GM of the dealership and also the Forest River rep late Friday, they promised to get on it Monday morning but I leave Wednesday and fairly confident there is no way it will be fixed by then. I think I am done with FR products, and possibly this dealership as well.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
my 2013 salem 27rkss is in the shop right now for repairs. I bought the trailer new less than a year ago when the 2014's came out. it has about 2-3000 miles on it. both axles bent, all 4 leaf springs bad. all 5 tires bad. dry rot and big bubbles on sidewalls.

dropped it off about 3 weeks ago for repairs, and told them I HAD to have it back by now because of a trip I have to take... it's not gonna be ready and now it's going to cost me $500 for hotels for the trip plus the inconvenience of not having my unit with me.

just my wife and I, and the trailer has NEVER been overloaded. it appears FR is using too light weight components on these units.

to say I am unhappy with both FR and my dealer now is an understatement. I talked to the GM of the dealership and also the Forest River rep late Friday, they promised to get on it Monday morning but I leave Wednesday and fairly confident there is no way it will be fixed by then. I think I am done with FR products, and possibly this dealership as well.
Replacing both axles and springs is less than an 8 hr job. In fact, in a properly equipped shop, 2 mechanics could do it in 3 hrs or less.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Replacing both axles and springs is less than an 8 hr job. In fact, in a properly equipped shop, 2 mechanics could do it in 3 hrs or less.
I went up to talk to the service manager face to face this morning. IF he can get parts on Monday he said he can have it fixed in time. he will call me at 10am Monday to let me know the status. I have to go ahead and find a hotel room for a week just in case, and hope I can cancel it later.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #36
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
I went up to talk to the service manager face to face this morning. IF he can get parts on Monday he said he can have it fixed in time. he will call me at 10am Monday to let me know the status. I have to go ahead and find a hotel room for a week just in case, and hope I can cancel it later.
It sounds like you need to file a complaint with the NHTSA(?) and so does everyone else that has had this problem.
I know from now on I'm going to check the axle rating on any new trailer I buy.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #37

picked up my trailer from my dealer today. Forest river upgraded my axles, springs, wheels and tires under warranty. they even popped for aluminum wheels instead of the painted steel ones. Could be my imagination, but it feels like the trailer tows easier now. Bad news is they did not make the deadline for my trip, so I had to stay in a hotel which cost me $500 for the week vs staying in the camper for free. other fly in the ointment is a small dent in the siding that was not there when I dropped the trailer off. Dealer is going to order replacement panel and repair the siding this fall after I finish with the trailer for the season.

wife and I are camping this coming weekend. I was in love with my trailer before all this, now not so much. only time will tell if my confidence and love for the camper returns.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #38
Rivnut

Kow how you feel, I was in love with this new trailer, but after the sloppy factory work, not so anymore. It's my last one anyway.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #39

have 2014 xlr thunderbolt 300x12, have bent back axle, want them to upgrade but don't think they will, have two 6000lb axles this unit should have been higher on the axles. you put on golf cart or one motorcycle you are stressing the axles. Sold as toy hauler oh yeah you can put two full dresser in there. This is not the case. Warrantee will replace but to keep family and traveling public safe should have a 7000 lb or higher axles on this unit. Like always, will it take someone to die before Forest River admits it is building units and selling for use that they can't handle safely.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #40
Rivnut

can you offer to pay the extra for upgraded axles. I would just do it anyway if they are not going to help.
rivnut

Tags
bent, axles