Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Bent/Warped Axles??

Greetings Forum Members,

First, I have a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite T195BH, 2012 Purchased in 2013 as inventory close-out, about 2000 Miles so far. On the way back from last trip (Sep 1, 2014), I noticed that my left tire was wearing excessively on the outside, the right side was wearing unevenly on the inside and outside. Determining that tire pressure needed to be checked, I had about 35 PSI in each. Pumped them up to about 55 PSI, but still noticed that the wheels were canted inward at the top of the tires, which would be consistent with the tires "cupping" the way they are. When I got under the trailer when we got home, I noticed that even with my poor eyesight, my axel was less than straight. Pulled out the 4 foot level and found my axel is horribly bent between both wheels and the leaf spring mount to the axel. The right wheel bearing is fine - no play or dragging, the left has a perceptible but acceptable play in the bearing. The axel is a Lippert Components axel, and I have never overloaded the trailer with secondary cargo (loaded stuff in the trailer instead of the truck). Does anyone else have or has had similar issues or know if someone else has had this issue? The websight is less than helpful for information, and looks like they have plausible deniability when it comes to end-component quality control.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Rich

Old 09-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

Wow. That will put you in a tough spot. I can hear them now saying you overloaded the trailer. This might just be something you have to eat to get it fixed.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3

They probably won't help, but it can't hurt to contact Lippert and FR for some "good faith" assistance based on the low mileage on your trailer. Unfortunately, Lippert has a terrible reputation for their frames and axles. Even more unfortunate is that I think they bought out Dexter Axle which is (was?) a superior product. Bent axles between the spring and wheels could indicate hitting a curb or pot hole or an overloaded axle. See if you can find a weight capacity sticker on the axle and compare that to the loaded weight of your trailer. Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Keep in mind, brand new axles have an arch to them in the middle of the axle. They will flatten out a little when loaded. This is part of the design.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Axles should have a slight bow up in the middle. Make sure all the shackles and pivot points are lubed and moving freely.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

I realize they are bowed in the middle, but KEY7ONE stated in his original post that he observed bending between the springs and wheels. Also note that the bend in the axles tends to make the top of the wheel cant outward, not inward as the OP also noted in his post.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE7ONE View Post
...found my axel is horribly bent between both wheels and the leaf spring mount to the axel...
Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
...stated in his original post that he observed bending between the springs and wheels. Also note that the bend in the axles tends to make the top of the wheel cant outward, not inward as the OP also noted in his post.
I think he is referring to the axle bow. Tire wearing on the inside and outside on is not an axle problem but a pressure problem. I suspect the springs are binding in either the shackles or walking beam.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
MC9

I had a similar problem. The wear pattern on my new 5r didn't make sense, turned out when I changed to the TransForce tires, 3 out of 4 chinabombs had bad belts. Smooth as silk since.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Get rid of the trailer and get a truck camper. THat way you have NO LCI components under there and just have to maintain your truck.

Just Saying.

After hearing all the axle, frame, wheel and tire problems on here, I just gave up, sold the 5th wheel and got a truck camper. Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

There have been a lot of posts here and on other forums about axles on new trailers losing their camber because they are soooo close to their weight limit.
I hope that's not the problem.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, axles