Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Best Way To Protect Tires?

I purchased a used 2006 FR Surveyor SV264 about a month ago. So far I haven't had the opportunity to take it on our first trip since I've been busy upgrading it by adding (4) new sissor jacks, door latches, new coat of paint on propane4 tanks and exterior of frame, replaced broken ladder standoff, new deep cycle battery, replaced 6 year old tires with new Maxxis and so on but I have a newbie question concerning the best way to care for my new tires when the trailer is not in use. I've cut some 2 x 10's for use as levelers when parking on uneven ground but should I be using these to place under my tires on the concrete driveway when I'm not using the trailer. I just purchased some Adco tire covers to protect them from UV and weather damage. Does anyone also have an opinion whether it is best to jack up the trailer to take the wheels off the ground and use jack stands under the frame when not in use or is this an overkill?
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Congratulation on the new addition to your family and also welcome to our family!

As to the tires, how long between times of use? And what part of the world are you in?

Putting the trailer up on blocks may be overkill if you plan on using every few months or so. If you are on frozen ground, it would be a good idea to at least put the tires on a block of wood.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

We plan on using the camper every month or so during the spring, summer and fall. Since it's not sealed underneath we will probably winterize it and have it parked from early or mid November to mid March. We live in Southeast Tennessee so we don't generally have brutal winters but I just wasn't sure about what I needed to do to help extend the life of the tires. I thought since I had a concrete driveway there might not be any need to place the wood underneath the tires but I wanted someone with trailer experience to give me some input.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

You don't really know how lucky you are to live where you do, do you? One of the prettiest places in this country!

On the tires, I think they will be fine with the covers and on the concrete. Just be sure and check the tire pressure before traveling.

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the insight on caring for the tires. I've been advised to max out the air pressure on the new "C" rated tires at 50psi before I start any trip. And yes I agree that SE Tn is a beautiful spot for the outdoors with mountains, valleys and lakes. I just retired this year so I've been doing a lot of day hiking among the local mountains on the Cumberland trail but with the addition of the trailer we hope to be able to see more of the USA via the national park system. Thanks again for your help!