Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Bias Ply vs. Radial

Like most others, my OEM tires are bias ply 205/75D15. One tire was dead on arrival after it must have been under inflated from the factory. Are most of you switching to radial tires? If so, I would guess you are replacing all of them at the same time since mixing radial and bias ply is a bad idea? Is anyone out there staying with bias ply tires?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

My trailer came with radial tires. Personally I think you would be better off with radial tires on the trailer just as you are on automobiles. If you did a lot of off or rough road driving bias ply might be slightly better due to a stiffer side wall but for everyday wet/dry roads the radial gives you more tread on the road.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
DDC

1960 vs 2014 Do they really still use bias tires? I thought they went the way of the do-do bird.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

2014 Wildwood came with 5 bias ply tires.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

My 2013 CruiseLite came with bias tires. After the 1st 1200-1300 miles the inside tread was worn severely. On this trip to West Glacier (Hungry Horse MT) we made it up there ok but they were almost worn slick (inside tread only on each side) and the outside tread was starting to wear. Bought radials in MT and after approx 1700 miles home (hotter weather than outbound trip) they still look brand new. Next TT I purchase will have radials or the deal wont occur!!
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

I got about 4000 miles out of our factory Wildwood tires before they were literally smoking piles of rubber. We pulled into a campground near Cheyenne and 2 had large goose eggs on the tread edge and one had a cracked sidewall. I had been watching them closely and using TPMS so felt comfortable pushing them to their end of service. I bought 4 marathons at a nearby Walmart, 2 at a time and changed them in our site. I had changed one of them with the spare a few days earlier because it was worn out more than the others. I was surprised we made it as far as we did on those pitiful tires.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

On my last TT it came equipped with bias ply tires that began to crack (well out of warranty) so it was expected. With no failure, I stopped at local tire dealer who had both bias and radial available. Radial was about $5 each more so I changed to radial of same rating and size and was very pleased with results. TT seemed to follow better. Best $ spent on it. I would always pay the extra for radials.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

I've got barely 200 miles on the trailer and I've already bought a new tire with two more coming soon due to horrible wear issues. Yes, I religiously check the pressure to and from the campsite. I'm just really upset I spent all this money on a new trailer and I'm already having the prospect of buying 5 new tires before camping in it 4 times.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #9

We have WestLake ST205/75/14's on our TT. Don't have but a few hundred miles on them but not seeing anything out of the ordinary yet. I have been researching tires and nothing is jumping out as "The Better Tire". Liked at Maxxis but the radius may be too big for our TT. We have Torflex fandom axles and these tire are close enough already. Putting bigger tires on the TT may cause them to rub together like a cricket.
Let me know who has the almighty TT tire. If there is such a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by slympicins View Post
we have westlake st205/75/14's on our tt. Don't have but a few hundred miles on them but not seeing anything out of the ordinary yet. I have been researching tires and nothing is jumping out as "the better tire". Liked at maxxis but the radius may be too big for our tt. We have torflex fandom axles and these tire are close enough already. Putting bigger tires on the tt may cause them to rub together like a cricket.
Let me know who has the almighty tt tire. If there is such a thing.
ST205 / 75 R 14 LR-C Goodyear Marathon