Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Senior Member

Brake Adjustment Questions... Answered

So I gathered up my 8 ton bottle jack, wood cribbing, and some hand tools and went over by my TT in storage. I am wanting to get my brakes adjusted since I have almost 5K miles on the TT and have never checked them. Book recommends 200 miles and every 3000 thereafter.

My attempt to jack up the trailer did not go well. I am sure the proper technique advised is to jack against the frame , not the suspension components.

My frame is not exactly accessible since the bottom is enclosed and there is a pine furring strip running between the frame and the underbelly. I started to jack against a 2x4 placed under the trailer frame but after lifting the frame several inches backed off when I started hearing sounds like wood being crushed. I did not get it lifted enough to spin either wheel. The Torflex suspension seems to have loads of travel.

Dang, I hope I never have a flat with this outfit. I am pretty sure I will end up jacking against some suspension component.

The other issue I raised for myself is that when I crawled under the trailer to get a look at the backside of the brakes, I saw no covers over the brake adjustment slots. And when I looked into the slots, I could not see the star wheel to use for adjustment.

Meanwhile back home......

So I just got off the phone with the (very Helpful) Dexter people..... Number one... I have forward self adjusting brakes according to the SN. Most of them do after around 2006. Also my dealer gave me a very stale (3/04) Dexter Service manual with my new trailer. So I will order an up to date one from their website.

Now, if I can only figure out a safe way to jack this sucker up if I ever need to.

We are off to Yellowstone and the Pacific NW in a couple weeks.

Happy camping to all.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

If you have dual wheels on each side, you can drive up on a set of blocks until the other tire is suspended. I do this to re-grease bearings and adjust the brakes. Be sure your tires are in good shape as the entire load will now be on one tire instead of two.

This is another option:
Rapid Jack

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

This is how I jack my trailer.......

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...taff-1636.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes