Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Brake adjustments ?

Well this weekend I planned on adjusting the brakes on my Shamrock 19, after close to 20K I figured it would be a good thing.

I lifted the trailer so that the wheels on that side were able to spin freely, which they did. Left the trailer hitched and blocked the wheels on the other side.

I removed the little rubber/plastic grommet, inside bottom and tried to turn that little wheel to tighten the brake - so that the wheel is hard to spin - but it is very hard to turn, with the idea of they loosening things up so that wheel would once again spin, with only a slight drag. Tried with a brake tool and a flat blade screwdriver, no better.

Well let me tell you, that little 'thingy' wheel ain't easy to turn, there is little grip on it, not spikes sticking out like I've see before, more than indentation of a cylinder. Tried on 2 wheels and gave up.

I did a few squirts of grease at each nipple though.

I guess I will wait until later when I check my bearings and look at them then.

Anyone had better success ?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You have to stick a flat screw driver in same hole to release stop lever. normally on top of adjuster then spin the wheel backwards of the way you tightened it with another.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

With your brake tool, you have to feel for the wheel, on mine, there are two slots and one will have the wheel in about the center of it and the other has nothing to turn. The wheel has a spring stretched across the top of it and once you get the brake tool on it is easy to turn. The trailer does not have to be hooked to the trailer to adjust the brakes. If you spin the wheel and start turning the star wheel, the wheel should start dragging. Adjust it to where it drags just slightly and back it off one or two clicks so there is no drag from the brakes. Trailer brakes are not like vehicle brakes that will retract the cylinders a little, where ever you set them on a trailer, they stay there so you don't want any drag.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
...The trailer does not have to be hooked to the trailer to adjust the brakes. If you spin the wheel and start turning the star wheel...
My driveway is sloped and I left it hitched only to add extra safety, so it does not move...

I noticed while I was working on one side that there were 2 slots on the wheels on the other side.

Will try again I guess.

Does the wheel look like this one ? (from a stock picture)

Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes that's it.
See also the lever? That has to be moved away in order to turn wheel the other way.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That picture is of "self adjusting " brakes. The arm adjust the star wheel when there is enough wear to warrant it. These brakes should not need to be adjusted in the driveway, but some do. Also there was a post that said "Trailer brakes are not like vehicle brakes that will retract the cylinders a little," which is not a true statement. Trailer brakes are like car brakes that have springs (not shown in picture) to retract them, same as a car. The springs do the retracting, nothing to do with how they are actuated, hydraulically or electrically. Just clarification.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #7

"Trailer brakes are like car brakes that have springs (not shown in picture) to retract them, same as a car. The springs do the retracting, nothing to do with how they are actuated, hydraulically or electrically. Just clarification."
-------------------------
Good point.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
"Trailer brakes are like car brakes that have springs (not shown in picture) to retract them, same as a car. The springs do the retracting, nothing to do with how they are actuated, hydraulically or electrically. Just clarification."
-------------------------
Good point.
Was making a point that trailer brakes do not have cylinders.
Trailer brakes have one spring to retract/hold the top of both shoes against the magnet activator arm. Car brakes have a spring on each shoe to retract/hold each shoe against the cylinder. Both have a spring on the bottom that mearly holds the bottom of the shoes against the adjusting mechanism.

Have never seen "self adjusters" on a trailer to date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake wire anchored.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	14814  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Was making a point that trailer brakes do not have cylinders.
Trailer brakes have one spring to retract/hold the top of both shoes against the magnet activator arm. Car brakes have a spring on each shoe to retract/hold each shoe against the cylinder. Both have a spring on the bottom that mearly holds the bottom of the shoes against the adjusting mechanism.

Have never seen "self adjusters" on a trailer to date.

I'm not trying to cause a problem but I bought my 21rr about six weeks ago and the invoice said self adjusting brakes. The brakes hardly worked at all until I took it to a large empty parking lot and repeatedly backed up and applied brakes. I learned this tip from reading this forum.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I'm not trying to cause a problem but I bought my 21rr about six weeks ago and the invoice said self adjusting brakes. The brakes hardly worked at all until I took it to a large empty parking lot and repeatedly backed up and applied brakes. I learned this tip from reading this forum.
I stated that I had never seen self adjusters on a trailer. The picture I posted is our 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS. Evidently higher dollar units may have the self adjusters.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Just goes to show that we all can learn from this forum!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes