Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Brake breakaway cable

I have a 2012 Rockwood RV, the break away cable for emergency brakes pulled apart while unit was parked I just put it back in clip will it still work ok or does it need replaced?
Alpineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #2

If it just pulled out, and you can push it back in, it should be fine.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineman
I have a 2012 Rockwood RV, the break away cable for emergency brakes pulled apart while unit was parked I just put it back in clip will it still work ok or does it need replaced?
Thanks! It pulled apart when I was unhooking from truck I just clipped it back in seemed to work fine. I will watch when I tow again to ensure brakes are free.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
One last question I believe this unit has a quick power disconnect instead of unhooking battery but I could not find the disconnect? Thought?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Team

it would help if you posted the model number you have.
most of us include it in our signature.

i know of some of the Rockwood hybrids having a battery disconnect switch for 2012. but don't know about the regular TT line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:

One last question I believe this unit has a quick power disconnect instead of unhooking battery but I could not find the disconnect? Thought?
2702ss is the model. They said it had this quick disconnect but like I said I can't find it .
Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineman View Post
2702ss is the model. They said it had this quick disconnect but like I said I can't find it . Thanks
here's a link to a pic of biken201's Roo and his battery disconnect switch.
it's the silver knob under the fridge, to the right of the fuse panel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...h-17469-2.html
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #8

My Windjammer 3002 battery disconnect is inside the propane compartment in front. It is a silver knob that you push in to disconnect. Can you follow the battery wires back to find the disconnect. Maybe in the front compartment?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #9

I think there is no disconnect as I could not find it near fridge or propane. Thanks for the help. Need to see if brakes are working after pulling out the breakaway wire it snapped back in harness no problem but still worried it may have done something.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Team

if the battery was hooked up and charged, something probably happened.
if no battery power, should be fine.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #11

The break-a-way switch cable is designed to be pushed back into the switch-just make sure it's bottomed out when pushed in.You won't have any problems with this.When I work on electric brakes,I pull the cable out to make sure the brake-a-way system is working properly,then push the cable end back into the switch with no problems occuring.
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09grizzly1
The break-a-way switch cable is designed to be pushed back into the switch-just make sure it's bottomed out when pushed in.You won't have any problems with this.When I work on electric brakes,I pull the cable out to make sure the brake-a-way system is working properly,then push the cable end back into the switch with no problems occuring.
Thanks 09 grizzly! The only other problem I have had is to get the tv and Xm radio to play on speakers I have tried all the inputs on the Genisis tuner and no sound ?thoughts?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

TV input is AV2 (be sure to use AV, not AU). Speaker button A should be your inside speakers. B is our bedroom speakers and C is outside. Can you give more detail about what you have tried?
Also, Bob Fields is a contact and is active on this forum.
bfields@concertone.com
574-343-1165 - Elkhart Office
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #14

We have a 2012 Rockwood 8314BSS and the battery disconnect is located at the top of panel where the light switches are located by the door. It is a push/pull button.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpineman View Post
I think there is no disconnect as I could not find it near fridge or propane. Thanks for the help. Need to see if brakes are working after pulling out the breakaway wire it snapped back in harness no problem but still worried it may have done something.
If the breakaway cable is still activated, your problem now will be no 12v, power. The breakaway cable activates the brakes by utilizing the power from the 12v. battery to apply brake power at "full brake" (as if you were standing on the brake pedel)!

This applys an immediate stopping power to the TT axle brakes, but it draws the power from the battery quicker than the converter can replenish it, if you are plugged in.

Every season, it seems, we see a posting from a newbie camper who tried to use their brakeaway cable to secure the TT, rather than wheel chocks. A dead battery is the LEAST of the damaging thibgs that occurs. What's worse, is that it can also burn-up the electro-magnets that acticates the brakes, leading to a reatively expensive repair. (The parts are relatively cheap, but the dealers kill you on the installation, as the wheels, bearing packs, and brakes all need to be pulled apart.)

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #16

Just moved trailer and it worked fine after resetting brake away pin,
Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #17

Okay I am the newbie. Here is my story and I feel sick.

Parked trailer in driveway and by accident the brake cable was caught underneath the block for the jack resulting in pulling out the brake cable and activating the brake. I connected my 120 v to recharge battery. Initial everything was fine...but a day later I noticed that the convertor was constantly running so I pulled the lever to disconnect battery. Thought about it more (a few more days) and realized that something was not right. I disconnected the 110 power and tried the lights (with battery lever re-connected and nothing. I figured I had either a bad battery, convertor or a blown fuse. Upon further searching on the FRF...I noticed that the emergency brake draws power from the battery hence the reason it was dead. Just reconnected the emerg brake....battery is starting to re-charge (as after about :30 minutes...lights worked without connection to 110v.

The important question...how will i know/check to see if i have damage to my trailer brakes?

Shawn

Cheryl, Shawn & Sophie
2012 Rockwood Roo 19
2011 Acura MDX
2012 Days Camped 17
Go Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #18

i think we've all done that, i certainly have!! tripped on it climbing over the a frame

a simple roadtest somewhere safe is the easiest way(mall parking lot?)

activate the manual braking on the controller, you'll soon know if the brakes work

tougher on a tandem, hard to tell if all the brakes are working.

to be absolutely safe, i'd see a mechanic familiar with trailer brakes. a simple check of the magnets with a vom will tell plenty. if i remember correctly the resistance for each coil on mine is around 3 ohms. if the reading is zero ohms the coil is shorted out, if its infinity the coil has a gap in the wire somewhere, both caused by overheating

the time that i did it, i wasnt hooked up to shore power, so the battery went dead and no harm done but stupid me, we were in a walmart parking lot and the trailer was still plugged into the van, so its battery went dead too!!
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #19

Does the breakaway cable need to be crossed on the same path as the safety chain?
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

The breakaway cable needs to be attached to the TV and not attached to the chains. If by change the trailer was to disconnect from the TV and the chains did not hold and the breakaway cable was attached to the chains then the brakes of the trailer will not engage.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes