Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Brake Controller

Purchasing a TT for the first time. Need to know what brake controllers are the best (not necessarily cheapest). Also, I heard some dealers will only install brakes on one axle instead of both. Is that something they typically do or is it based on how the trailer comes from the factory? Thanks!
elika63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Trailer brakes are installed at the factory. For a brake controller you want to get a proportional brake controller not a time based controller. Prodigy P2 or prodigyvp3 are very good. I have used the p3 with one of my old TV. It worked well, it DoD have a defect but manufacturer immediately sent me a replacement. No issues with the replacement.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Thanks asquared. What all do I need to purchase? I'm assuming the correct wire harness but not sure beyond that.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Does your TV have the tow package (ie tranny cooler, prewired for brake controller etc)? If so you order the correct wiring harness for your TV. It will be plug and play. If you get the universal wiring harness its a bit harder as it doesn't just plug in. You will then pick a spot to screw if to your dash. I usually pick the bottom of the dash of to right so it's out of the way when climbing in. Took my dh 30 min to install and he's not all that handy (but getting better).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #5

Yes, I'm prewired and have both the oil tranny cooler and max tow package. So I just need to purchase the wire harness for my truck and the unit, thanks again!

Do most, or all, TT have brakes on both axles or just on one? I have heard of brakes only on one axle.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The prodigy P2 is sold with what it needs for each truck. Later GMs are hard wired with the wires under the dash labeled for use. Others have plug in wiring harnesses to plug and play. Either way it's simple.
By the way, I have a GM mount P2 controller for sale that I used 2 months until I bought a new truck. PM me.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
For the purposes of this post, the term "integrated" will be referring to being tied into the vehicles hydraulic system (not "built into the dash").

You did ask about the "best" brake controllers, and while the Prodigy P2 and P3 are certainly the king of their class of controllers (don't even consider a time based unit), there is something better. An "integrated" brake controller is a far better solution than any inertia based controller like the P2 and P3. It is the only way for the trailer to work 100% seamlessly (smooth) with the tow vehicles brakes, and does so in forward and reverse, at speed or while crawling into your favorite site. Unfortunately, they are not as widely available as standard controllers. Both the MaxBrake and Brake Smart controllers were integrated into the vehicles hydraulic system, but neither is being produced any more (not enough people share your "best and not necessarily the cheapest" point of view). You may be able to find a used one or possibly an NOS unit. Otherwise, there is a new controller on the market (earlier this year?) called the DirecLink. I have no personal experience with it, but it is "integrated" with the tow vehicles brakes via the on board computer (OBII). Vehicle manufacturers have finally caught on to this supremacy as well, and are now offering computer controlled integrated brake controllers (with the added bonus of being built into the dash at the factory).

My post is sure to be followed by those defending their precious Tekonsha Proportional controllers, but rest assured...if you want "the best", then you want an integrated controller. Otherwise, the Prodigy P2 or P3 is the next best thing, and good enough for most.

http://www.direclink.com/direclink.html
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:55 AM   #8

I recently changed to a P3 controller and it works awesome. Very smooth. I think you will find that a large group of folks are using the Prodigy series controllers.

The P2 and P3 are identical in performance. The only difference is the P3 can also work on electric over hydraulic brakes if you had a trailer that was so equipped. Your travel trailer will have only electric brakes. Also the P3 controller has a scrollable menu and led menu. I was going for a P2 but, found a P3 on ebay used once that I couldn't pass up.

As others have said, purchasing the wire for your specific vehicle will make things quick and easy.

You can't go wrong with the Prodigy P2 or P3 though. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #9

Brake Controller

Thanks guys! Appreciate the thorough responses. I think I'll go with the P3 but that DirecLink looks awesome (although a tad pricier). I'm already dropping $2,500 on a ProPrime P3 WD hitch!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elika63 View Post
Purchasing a TT for the first time. Need to know what brake controllers are the best (not necessarily cheapest). Also, I heard some dealers will only install brakes on one axle instead of both. Is that something they typically do or is it based on how the trailer comes from the factory? Thanks!
You should have brakes on all axles. Who told you that BS.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by elika63 View Post
Thanks guys! Appreciate the thorough responses. I think I'll go with the P3 but that DirecLink looks awesome (although a tad pricier). I'm already dropping $2,500 on a ProPrime P3 WD hitch!

The P3 is a good choice. FYI...somebody posted a P3 in the classifieds here yesterday for $100.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #12

I have the Primus IQ by Tekonsha and it has worked well for me. It is also a proportional brake controller and will save you some money over the P2 if you don't need trailer features like electric over hydraulic brakes or 4 axles.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #13

Direclink worked better for me than the prodigy . Way smoother braking on my big 5er ... If uses the obdii port

Tags
brake control, controller, brakes