Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #1

Brake info needed

I bought a used 2014 Palamino Columbus 295RL and need to know the mfgr and type of electric brakes on it so I can order parts.
SantaClausJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClausJerry View Post
I bought a used 2014 Palamino Columbus 295RL and need to know the mfgr and type of electric brakes on it so I can order parts.

Climb under and look at the Mylar label on the axle. That will tell you whose parts to look for.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

Electric brake issue

Regarding my recent purchase of a used 2014 Palamino Columbus fifth wheel:

I'm sorry but I cannot locate the thread from yesterday about my problem getting a drum off one of the electric brake assemblies. My last post from yesterday I said I would take the suggestion to use the brake adjuster to see if that helped removing the drum.

Well, I did that this morning and I was able to remove the drum. However, the rear bearing and seal did not come off with the drum and now I cannot remove the bearing. It's moving freely like a bearing should but I just can't pull the thing off. The rear seal moves easily but of course I can't remove the seal until I remove the bearing. I have not tried to remove by force as I don't want to risk damaging the race or any other part of the axle.

This is the fourth wheel I've inspected after buying a used fifth wheel. I replaced two of the magnets due to exposed wiring on them. Lots and lots of grease. I suspect the previous owner just put the grease gun to them rather than doing an actual inspection and repacking.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

The bearing should be a little snug on the axle. You may damage it taking it off. You may be able to just get a tool behind it at pop it off. Work it back and forth gently at it should come off. You won't hurt to axle unless you get crazy and gouge it.
Spray some lube between the beating race and the axle to help it. Try WD40.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Team

You're going to have to get that bearing off even if you damage it. It's pretty cheap to buy replacements.

A lot of auto parts stores rent or loan tools, you may be able to get a bearing puller from one and pull the bearing off with it.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #6

Thanks. I got it off using a puller. It's not a bearing puller but one that I use for a variety of things like steering wheels on old tractors. I needed 3 hands and only had 2 but managed.

I'll get a new bearing but probably should replace them both? Nothing wrong with the front bearing but makes sense to replace them at the same time. I keep the rear seals so have that already anyway.

Tags
electric