Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Superdutycamping

Brakes

Hey everyone i have a question im asking for a friend he has a 2016 chevy 2500 duramax and a 2017 keystone 5ver and he has had weak brakes from day one he has had truck back to dealer as well as camper back as well he has also replaced the complete brake system on the camper himself he has just sort of dealt with it up to this point him being a truck driver pulling double trailers he was conscience about towing safty but he rrcently retired and he and his wife have a long trip to alaska planned in about a month and the brake issue concerns him going that far (from north Carolina) i actually drove the set up yesterday and let me tell you it was a scary ride i have a heavy tt bumper pull and can tell you there is a definite brake problem with his we turned the gain output to max and just hit the controler as well as the pedal on seperate occasions and it was same just a coast to stop so any suggestions from anyone ad sorry for length just trying to in clude all info thanks
Superdutymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #2

you need to have a digital multi meter to be able to measure voltages available to the magnets in the brakes to go much further...

the voltage will go up when the controller is manually pressed and down again when let go... a break anywhere in those wires to each trailer wheel will give you 0 volts at the magnet wires entering thru the rear of the wheel

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Superdutycamping

Thanks but have already done all that as well as he has run new wires from junction box to magnets getting around 8.5 to 9 with his truck at full gain and application and 10.3 or so with my truck at full gain and application i have a 2019 f250
Superdutymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

I am having the same problem, you might want to follow my "no trailer brakes" thread. Not saying this is your friend's problem but it makes for entertaining reading.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-178778.html
Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutymike View Post
Thanks but have already done all that as well as he has run new wires from junction box to magnets getting around 8.5 to 9 with his truck at full gain and application and 10.3 or so with my truck at full gain and application i have a 2019 f250
Is your controller set to low, medium or high on the center console?

I found out by accident that there are two adjustments on the factory controller.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
clr

I had the same type of brake problem with my TV and 5th wheel.

First the very best method of testing this is to use a DC clamp on type of Amp meter. Forget using the truck break pedal for now, and use the manual break lever for testing.
You should measure 4 Amp per wheel with the manual break lever at max. So that is a total of 12 Amp with all 4 breaks being used.
If you do not have 4 Amps going to any break with this method you have a problem with that wheels break. If you do not have 4 Amps the first place that I would check would be the where the break wire connects to the trailer wiring. This is normally some type of crimp on type connection and quality being what it is this is many times not well done. If this is a problem I would suggest soldering the wires together to ensure a good connection and covering the connection with heat shrink tubing.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes