Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #1

Brakes inop

I have a 2017 300bh. My brakes have stopped working and I don't want to take it to the dealer for warranty work because I know they'll just keep my rv for months and then screw it up. So I at least want to try to figure this out myself.

Here's the deal:
I have an older model Jordan brake controller that worked great the first two round trip cross country (NC to NM) jaunts. The controller works fine with my car hauler. Brakes used to make a buzzing noise when truck brakes were applied. Not sure if that's normal but it did that from day 1.

Any suggestions on what to check first?
stealth908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #2

Have a fully charged battery in/on your 300BH,now disconnect your power cable to your TV! Now pull your "Breakaway Cable",if your brakes Now work,your issue is in your TV supply! Youroo!!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 AM   #3

If the car hauler brakes still work today you can rule out the TV for now. Trace the wiring between the plug and the brakes, including ground. There's likely some broken connection. Had that three times on two different trailers...

The buzzing is normal, it actually tells you the brake magnets are working.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I figured the buzzing was normal. Would I be correct to assume that there is no control box or relay in the system? Just regular trailer wiring that routes to the standard magnet style drum brakes?

I will check the wiring. I'll be very shocked if there's an open in the circuit. The trailer is only 5 months old and the belly is enclosed. A bad ground does makes sense, though. MTF.
Travis
Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

hrere are some ideas:

Have you taken the brake controller all the way up to max power and applied the lever to see if you get any resistance at all? Check the power with a circuit tester coming out of the TV receiver to make sure all it isn't the problem. Check the battery on the trailer to make sure it's charged. if you have one, make sure the battery cut off switch is turned to on. The brakes may also need to be adjusted. Not all that uncommon . My trailer actually had the bearing seal leaking which got grease all over the brakes. A bearing job and a new set of brakes and they were better than new.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Check the battery on the trailer to make sure it's charged. if you have one, make sure the battery cut off switch is turned to on.
The battery on the trailer has nothing to do with how well the brakes work. It's only purpose is to supply power when the emergency disconnect is pulled.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

Check w/Multimeter
Check for voltage a 7pin when manual control is activated.
30 or 40 Amp fuse on my truck under hood EPC.
Junction box where 7pin cable connects to trailer.
Keep moving from Front to Back.....
Gook Luck
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

The wires to one of our brake magnets sheared off about 3 hours into our first trip. This is the pic that was sent by the dealer for warranty. I think it was 2 hours of labour and $100 parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	065.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	153649
SaskJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #9

I finally had time to dig into this problem. I took all of your advice into account along the way. I ended up finding that the blue/white trailer brake wires inside the junction box on the RV were cut and arcing against each other. See the attached picture. If you look closely, you can see the black arcing on the blue wire. The brakes work great again. Thanks for all of your help.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Don't see an attachment, but you're explanation was spot on. I know exactly what happened.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth908 View Post
I finally had time to dig into this problem. I took all of your advice into account along the way. I ended up finding that the blue/white trailer brake wires inside the junction box on the RV were cut and arcing against each other. See the attached picture. If you look closely, you can see the black arcing on the blue wire. The brakes work great again. Thanks for all of your help.
Yep... I see your attachment. It appears the installer nicked both wires when cutting off the outside insulation. Great job!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes