I finally had time to do more testing/work on this issue. I bought a new bottle jack from harbor freight to jack the trailer and test.
Here's what I did ... if you want to skip to the end - don't blame you.
Jacked up trailer
Took tire off
spun hub, could hear brakes slightly rubbing hub so I know the adjustments are ok.
Hooked up 12v battery to trailer
pulled out break-away plug
walked back to axle and
I hear the magnets working and hub can not be spun. I put the plug back in and all is good.
So I back Suburban up to trailer and hook up the cord. Pulled my 5 year old away from cartoons to be my brake operator.
I walk back to the TT axle, he steps the brakes and same thing, i hear the magnets and the brakes work.
So to make sure they work by the truck, I unhooked the battery and everything continues to work. I have to still get the batter a new place to be mounted but I have time.
I didn't hear this 2 weeks ago so not sure what changed. I was just about to buy a new controller for the cab thinking that was the issue. I'm now at a loss as to what was the issue but sure am glad the brakes are back to working.
We are camping in 3 weeks so I will make sure a few days ahead of this to test again. I'm just glad I know what to listen for and know they should work.