Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Unhappy Braking problem

We have a 2016 2904WS, we are pulling it with a Tundra but are having a problem with the braking. Dealer looked at it and told us everything was fine and they just needed to break in. Well we have now been told that it is a problem with out brake controller. Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with their brakes on the trailers.
Ms G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

Ms G,

Your trailer is about 700 pounds lighter than ours and I pull with a Tundra. I am not sure how much if any trailer brakes you have but I would not pull mine at all with no trailer brakes. I am using the same brake controller that I was using with our previous trailer. I try to stay ahead of the game and do my best to avoid panic stops as you can understand. I will say that the trailer brakes are adequate but I certainly need a lot more room to stop when pulling the trailer. My brake controller has a slide lever on it that I can apply trailer only brakes. I always use it when I hook up right after I start moving just to be sure I do have trailer brakes. My trailer brakes are capable of stopping the whole rig but it would take awhile nor do I ever do it.

I feel comfortable that mine are adequate but that is something you will have to be comfortable with on yours. If you cannot get your rig stopped in a reasonable distance then I would not pull it until you can.

Be careful......

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Can you describe what problem you're having?

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Can you tell us which brake controller you have?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

If your brake controller was installed by the dealer and not an integrated controller that came on the vehicle then there is a good chance it is a time-delay controller which reacts at a pre-set intensity. The better but a bit more costly are the proportional controllers. I switched to the Pridigy 3 proportional from an old time delay when we bought our 2nd TT in 2014. A world of difference and it also has some other neat features like monitoring vehicle voltage and alerts if it senses the trailer is not hooked up. Here is a link to the two types"

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms G View Post
Well we have now been told that it is a problem with out brake controller.
A lot depends on what the OP meant.

With OUT brake controller or With OUR brake controller.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #7

Sorry I didn't give enough information. We have Prodigy brake controller and it worked fine with our other camper that was about 2,000 lbs lighter. My husband says that he thinks the brakes won't lock up if we needed them to. Takes a long time to stop when only going about 25 mph.
Ms G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #8

I will not comment on your controller as there is not enough information other than to say if it has a boost feature try setting it higher as it will change the percentage and timing of brake application.
What I will comment on is your trailer brakes. You should have the Dexter Nev-R-Just brakes. When we picked up our Flagstaff in August upon leaving the dealer there was little braking occurring when applying brakes through the Ford OEM controller no matter the gain setting. After about 4 miles I turned around and went back to dealer where they pulled wheels and checked brakes with nothing seemingly amiss.
Went for a ride of about 12 miles with the tech and applied the brakes only through the controller aggressively about every 1/2 mile noting gradual improvement each time. Took it home and noted more improvement. Our previous trailer was 1000# more and I was able to lock the brakes with the same truck. The Dexter brakes do not necessarily come adjusted properly and every time you brake a little firmly they will adjust some more.
I am still not able to lock my brakes but have read on other forums this is not uncommon. Having put 1500 miles on it since purchase there has been a marked improvement and the harder I apply the brakes the more I feel both the truck and trailer braking accordingly. My OEM controller works on a gain of 0-10 and find myself running at 7.5 mostly and do no feel lacking in braking ability.
Hope this helps .

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #9

we had issues with our brakes since the day it left the lot, after 1 year and no help from the dealer and the factory, (all good) I just replaced the entire wiring from the pin box to the magnets with 8 gauge MS aircraft wiring from work, I put a terminal strip right in the middle of the frame above the front axles, then took equal length ground and power wires and went to each brake, from the terminal strip, I used to only get about 2 amps to each magnet now I have 3-4 amps on each now for a total of around 12-16 amps at the pin box . before I did this I tried my timed based and prodigy controllers with the same result (crappy stopping power and no wheel lock up below 15mph). Now I can lock up all 4 brakes below 30mph if I wanted too. BTW I also replaced the seals , repacked with good grease, made sure I had no glazing on the shoes and drum, and adjusted the brakes to just drag when on jack. And for the final adjustment took the trailer on the road and did about 10, 55mph to full stops with the slide lever on full boost to a stop with a 10 minuted cool down between.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #10

Had a Prodigy on my last truck and TT and it worked great. New truck (F 250 6.7) with factory controller and new 5er. No problem locking the brakes so now adjusting the controller to fine tune. Now at low setting and 6.5 ~~ may need a little more will know more as I'll be on the road tomorrow.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Had a Prodigy on my last truck and TT and it worked great. New truck (F 250 6.7) with factory controller and new 5er. No problem locking the brakes so now adjusting the controller to fine tune. Now at low setting and 6.5 ~~ may need a little more will know more as I'll be on the road tomorrow.
Not sure how the Ford controller works but 6.5 sounds really high. On my Ram I have it set for "heavy electric" and 3.0 on the power scale. Stopping with the trailer really doesn't feel any different than without it.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Not sure how the Ford controller works but 6.5 sounds really high. On my Ram I have it set for "heavy electric" and 3.0 on the power scale. Stopping with the trailer really doesn't feel any different than without it.
Apples to oranges, weight, adjusted brakes, power to the mags, lots of variables. If I did not have a controller no way would
my trucks brakes last very long trying to stop 22klbs combined
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote