Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I would argue that they are under engineered. It does explain why there are so many failures. I think the folks that participate in this forum are more savvy than most but there are many that don't have a clue just how little the margins are and consequently how overloaded they are.

How many axle failures have you seen?


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________

__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
I think it could be said that they are precisely engineered. It's the end user that doesn't understand the engineering and ignores the numbers. If a trailer is engineered for 1000lbs or 10,000lbs of cargo, someone is going to say that "when I put 999/9,999lbs of cargo in I'm near overloaded". It's simple math.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
The 5th wheels have an advantage as you can put more weight in the bed than tongue weight on a travel trailer.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
How many axle failures have you seen?


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
My brother in law's 5th wheel had to have both axles changed but tire and axle issues are all over the forum. Folks upgrading axles and tires. I'd just feel better if I had a little more freeboard. You know, "Too strong Never Failed".
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,773
Honestly, I'm overloaded. I have two 7,000 lb. axles and a 15,825 lb. GVWR. The advertised dry hitch weight at the time was 1,825 lbs. which tells me that's exactly how they arrived at the GVWR.

My most recent weighing came on at 16,800 lbs. I have 3,000 lbs. of pin weight and 13,800 lbs. on the axles (split evenly).

So, in the case of my camper- in order to exceed the axle weight rating, you have to really try.

IMO, tire issues are rampant. Axles issues are much fewer- and I'd bet a vast majority of those are due to misaligned/poorly installed axles vs. being in too heavy of situations.

(Interestingly, Sabre de-rated the GVWR to 14,666 lbs. in later years of the camper. So you have even more leeway, even though the axles still don't add up to the GVWR.)
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:13 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 892
I've got two 3500 lb axles under my toy hauler. With my sidexside stuffed in full of water and everything else my wife packs inside I have seen 7200 pounds on the scale. I was worried until I did some major research on my axles and some bigger. When I found out the only difference between an alco 3500 lb and 4000 pound axle was the outer bearing I stopped worrying. A slightly bigger bearing was all. So ever time I stop I checked my bearing temps. They are literally cool to the touch after driving for 100 miles at 65 mph. I'm not saying what I do is ok but I personally am fine with it.
__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Honestly, I'm overloaded. I have two 7,000 lb. axles and a 15,825 lb. GVWR. The advertised dry hitch weight at the time was 1,825 lbs. which tells me that's exactly how they arrived at the GVWR.

My most recent weighing came on at 16,800 lbs. I have 3,000 lbs. of pin weight and 13,800 lbs. on the axles (split evenly).

So, in the case of my camper- in order to exceed the axle weight rating, you have to really try.

IMO, tire issues are rampant. Axles issues are much fewer- and I'd bet a vast majority of those are due to misaligned/poorly installed axles vs. being in too heavy of situations.

(Interestingly, Sabre de-rated the GVWR to 14,666 lbs. in later years of the camper. So you have even more leeway, even though the axles still don't add up to the GVWR.)
Agree, the issues are rampant.. As you mentioned, I think a lot of it is poor construction/ welding. I've had to reweld some things on mine. The water tank framework is just poor engineering. I carried about 1/3 tank of water and the angle iron bent and I nearly lost the tank. ha. I've rebuilt that with some heavier angle iron.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:32 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
I think a solution to the issues with design and quality would be to have every employee travel across the US in an RV before they go to work on the assembly line. Same with the engineers. Sewer vents running thru the AC ducts, wiring issues, just some really stupid stuff. No excuse for that IMO. They need a couple of the old salts from this forum as part of the QC and design team.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:14 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
My brother in law's 5th wheel had to have both axles changed but tire and axle issues are all over the forum. Folks upgrading axles and tires. I'd just feel better if I had a little more freeboard. You know, "Too strong Never Failed".

I have 2k extra, and that's if I load my trailer to the max!
How much more do you want??


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think it could be said that they are precisely engineered. It's the end user that doesn't understand the engineering and ignores the numbers. If a trailer is engineered for 1000lbs or 10,000lbs of cargo, someone is going to say that "when I put 999/9,999lbs of cargo in I'm near overloaded". It's simple math.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Yes!... x10....
Get a grasp on this concept: if you buy a 10# sack and put 10# in it, it COULD break; after some use, and abuse the odds of that increase. It is insane to complain that the sack is under-engineered. Absolutely, insane. Repeat after me: INSANE.

The human tendency for the most part, is to want something for nothing; and particularly in America; the lowest price is the driver; quality be damned. The demand for cheap goods has driven manufacturing off shore and is hurting all of us.

The RV industry isn't being deceptive or dishonest, the numbers are right there on the rigs; in BRIGHT yellow! I think people go gaga at the fake granite and fake wood; most wouldn't know quality if it smacked them in the face, and if they find it they would shy away after seeing the price. But, they totally ignore the important things. It isn't the industry and its isn't the poor engineer that we should be beating on. We have met enemy and he is us.

WW
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle, light, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.