Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Breakaway Switch

Pulled the pin out to test the system, but my test light between the negative cables and the battery post did not light up. This is on a 2005 Hybrid Surveyor. Is there a fuse somewhere under the trailer, because the fuses inside are OK?
98xlt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Don't quite understand your question. The pin for the breakaway switch activates the trailer brakes, and has nothing to do with the inside wiring.

You stated "my test light between the negative cables and the battery post did not light up." Where did you connect your test light? You would have to connect between the wire feeding the brakes, and ground to see if it was working. Easiest way, jack up one wheel, make sure it spins freely, then pull the pin, and make sure the brakes lock it up. You will need a charged battery for this, as the battery operates the brakes when no tow vehicle is connected, and it "breaks away".
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

A picture is worth 10,000 words

A picture is worth 10,000 words
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakeaway.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	14735  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

"my test light between the negative cables and the battery post did not light up."
When I have a test light hooked up like this and then turn something on electrically inside the camper that draws 12 volts, it will also light up the test light. I expected the light to be very bright when I pulled the breakaway switch, but nothing happened. I will try the suggestion of raising a tire and then pulling the switch.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think I understand. You have the negative leads off the battery. You hook one lead of the test light to the battery post, and the other lead to the the negative cable. this would make the test light in SERIES with the camper wiring. Not the correct way to operate a test light in a 12 volt circuit. The resistance of the bulb in the test light will only allow about 1 amp through it, and that won't activate the magnets for the brakes. The test light is limiting the current, therefore, no brakes.

This might not be the best explanation, but best I have this late at night. Jack up the wheel, then you will see. Don't forget to have the cables on your battery.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98xlt98 View Post
"my test light between the negative cables and the battery post did not light up."
When I have a test light hooked up like this and then turn something on electrically inside the camper that draws 12 volts, it will also light up the test light. I expected the light to be very bright when I pulled the breakaway switch, but nothing happened. I will try the suggestion of raising a tire and then pulling the switch.
Even if your test was positive - showing 12 volts to the brake magnets - it doesn't prove that the electric brake/s are working. To be sure you need to test that the brake/s actually are applied at each wheel. More work but know doubt!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Battery cables are hooked up, jacked 2 tires up, pulled plug from breakaway switch, tires still spin freely, no braking occurring and no brake sounds either.

I then went under the trailer, left front corner, and removed the cover to an electrical box. Traced the 2 small blue wires that lead from the breakaway switch to the box. One blue wire is twisted with a large red cable that has battery volts. The other blue wire was attached to 2 additional wires using a compression-type connector (seen these on many other wire connections in this trailer).

Then used my test light to confirm power at the large red cable. But could not get any power at the compression-type connector (could easily touch copper wires with test light). I did this test with the plug pulled and installed. Is the circuit supposed to be completed when the plug is pulled from the breakaway switch? I should then see power at this connection, which I am assuming would then send power to all of the brakes?

This used trailer has been sitting outside for 6 years, maybe the problem is just in the breakaway switch? The brand is Hoppy, but the switch does not appear to be servicable. All I can see is thru the opening when the plug was removed.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

You should have power to the brakes with the plug pulled. Try shorting across the 2 leads out of the breakaway switch. If you get power to the brakes, the switch is bad. They are cheap and I would replace it anyway.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The red wire has 12 volts, correct. One of the blue wires comes from the tow vehicle, and with help, you should see voltage when the brake controller in the tow vehicle is operated manually. The other blue wire, comes from the breakaway switch, and with the pin pulled, it should have all 12 volts on it, thus feeding the brakes. The third blue wire, goes down the frame, and to the brakes themselves. If it is still jacked up, hook up the tow vehicle, have someone hold the manual control on the brake controller, and verify you have brakes to start with. If so, then it sounds as if the breakaway switch is bad.

2008 Work and Play 18LT