Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
Broken Crossmembers

I have a 2005 Sierra T28FB toy hauler. This morning, I noticed the fuel line for the generator was unsecured where it crosses the trailer behind the rear axle.

When I got underneath, I also found that the crossmember behind the rear axle was broken. I found that the crossmember behind the fuel tank had the same issue.

As can be seen in the picture, they appear to made from two pieces of angle with roughly 3/16" steel rod welded between. The rods are mostly broken, those that are not broken are bent and on their way out.

I have considered two options for repair:
1. Remove the crossmember and replace it with an I-beam.
2. Weld in additional pieces of angle, vertically, to do the job of the former x-bracing.

Wondering if anyone has had similar issues and I'm also open to other ideas for repairing this issue.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427554198194.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	72348  

MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
This may be a cross-member design based on weight savings vs. long term structural support. Or possible overloading. The weak link may be the 3/16 steel rod. I would replace the steel rod with angle iron on the same "angle" as the rod.

"I" beam would be awesome and the ultimate, but not sure what the weight would be.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Mod free 5er
Another solution is have some 1/8" plates about 12" long sheared and have them welded in about every 12" across the entire beam. You can also cut 2-1/2" or 3" holes in the plates to reduce the weight.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote