Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Broken slide gear/Slow learner

I have always used my slide locks when traveling. I know a lot don't but I believe they came with my 5er for a reason and will continue to use them.
There have been three different occasions when someone has attempted to open the slide without removing the bars. (1) The tech at the dealer, when it was in for a warranty issue. (2) Myself, when in hast to check for clearance while backing up and setting up. (3) Most recently my DW, who normally does not open the slide, while cleaning after our last trip.
I know, one would have thought I would have done something to warn against this after the first incident. I thought the large orange tags that hang down, that came on the bars would be warning enough but obviously not. I now have a piece of red tape over the switch, when the slide is in.
The first two incidents didn't appear to cause any major damage, other than the slide making some unusual noises when it was brought in or out. No visual damage though.
This last time was more serious as it broke a tooth off of the rear gear pack. The gear is made of steel.
I figure I'll replace the gear and then check for any other damage.
Lipperts website shows one gear and six different gear packs. I think I only need a gear but I don't know if this is the correct gear or which is the correct gear pack, if I do need to replace the pack.
I need help identifying the correct replacement parts.
I would also appreciate any information on the correct procedure to replace the gear pack. I had some difficulty removing the defective part as it was under some amount of pressure, making it difficult to remove the two retaining bolts.
I don't know if it might have jumped a tooth or teeth during all this abuse. Would this cause misalignment, if so how do you check and correct the alignment?
Thank you.
Wayne & June Bowers Camp Mutts Bo & Baby
2011 F250 Lariat 4X4 SCSB 6.7 Power Stroke
50 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote