Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #1

Angry Broken stud

Morning all. Hope all are happy campers, happy Fathers Day if applicable
So, I took the PrimeTime for fresh tires. The OEMs looked pretty old and cracked.
All went well, except they managed to break one stud off half way up.
I still have 19 more and could put a lug on the remnant and be fine for years... but I'd rather do it right.
Question for anyone who has ever had this happen. Should I replace just the stud or the wheel hub? $5 plus (my)labor for stud or $40 for the hub.
This is an 8yo trailer, had the hubs off 3 years ago, never had to remove a stud before. My tech level is knowledgeable amateur. I don't have specialized tools but know a good machine shop and I have 10 different sized hammers How hard will it (probably) be to remove the stud from the hub?
(I did a search for old threads but could not find any; could be b/c iPad browser is less than stellar)
Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Morning all. Hope all are happy campers, happy Fathers Day if applicable
So, I took the PrimeTime for fresh tires. The OEMs looked pretty old and cracked.
All went well, except they managed to break one stud off half way up.
I still have 19 more and could put a lug on the remnant and be fine for years... but I'd rather do it right.
Question for anyone who has ever had this happen. Should I replace just the stud or the wheel hub? $5 plus (my)labor for stud or $40 for the hub.
This is an 8yo trailer, had the hubs off 3 years ago, never had to remove a stud before. My tech level is knowledgeable amateur. I don't have specialized tools but know a good machine shop and I have 10 different sized hammers How hard will it (probably) be to remove the stud from the hub?
(I did a search for old threads but could not find any; could be b/c iPad browser is less than stellar)
Just replace the stud, it’s an easy job just time consuming. You don’t need any special tools, just get a bunch of flat washers with a larger hole diameter than the stud and use them to pull the stud all the way in.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

It's been a few years since I've had to replace a stud, but I did do it with basic tools...BFH...and a little sweat. At $40 for hub, I'd call it a toss up. Spend the time removing the broken one or just get a hub and be done.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

If your lucky you may be able to drive the broken stud out with out removing the hub. Good luck which ever way you get it done.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
Gold Tee Box

Curious, how did they break the stud, over torquing maybe?

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #6

I agree it’s a toss up I have replaced several studs one or two practically fell out others tested my sanity. Honestly I might lean towards a new hub just because my luck isn’t always good and in back of my mind I am thinking about changing tires on roadside and another stud breaks odds would be extremely slim but it would be there
Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

I’d love to know how they managed to do it. I had the lugs off to check the brakes last, hand started each one so no cross threading. checked the torque a couple of times after, never had a battle.
Since there is so much stud left I’d say it didn’t bind until halfway up the shaft. The rest came off easily. I think someone was rushing and tried to plow through too much rust. They could have tapped it instead of breaking it but weren’t equipped to.
Well I’m going to try the stud before I order the hub.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #8

A machine shop will charge you $10 to remove/replace a stud if the old one is rusted in there.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #9

I’ve heard that half the diameter of a bolt is enough length to hold a nut, but I would change it.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Just asking but if a shop broke your stud off.. Shouldn't they be finding someone to repair? Not saying I'd let them fix it.. But they should be getting a repair person to make it right. Either way it's not hard to swap one. Used to do it on the trails all the time on my jeep and lifted ranger.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
"On the road again"

On our previous fifth wheel my wheel sheered off going down the highway and I lost most all of the studs on that hub - and the ones that weren't sheered were messed up beyond use.

I replaced all of the studs in a shopping center parking lot and continued the remaining 7 miles to my house.

Last weekend I replaced 5 studs on my grandson's Jeep Wrangler - they snapped off trying to remove the wheel to replace brake pads.

As has been mentioned - it's not a real difficult job, just takes time and it is DIRTY!!

Here's a link to LOTS of videos on the subject: https://goo.gl/ZAMLhs

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

Main reasons I see studs breaking are either not using a torque wrench or greasing the studs first and still torquing to the dry torque values.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote