Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Packing wheel bearings is really a very delicate process and I doubt that half of the mechanics doing the work are aware that you have to clean the old grease out thoroughly before applying fresh grease. If they are not compatible they will actually turn to a water-like substance that just pours right through the seals leaving the bearings dry. For my money unless you are having a problem and with the new long life synthetic grease of today, I would leave them alone if they are not either making noise or running hot. In my opinion you should be able to get 50,000 miles on them before giving them any thought. That's what I have done for years and never had a problem. Of course if they are leaking or you notice grease on the wheel that's a different story.

Richard & Rosalba Charron
Zephyrhills, FL
2015 Ford F150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
At some point? I think I would do it ASAP given your recent experience.
Yes, at some point before using the trailer again.

spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
Besides normal maintenance you also need to be weight aware. Our 27RKSS weighs 7000 pounds with fresh water and propane. It came with two 3500 pound axles and 3500 pound spring sets. The cargo weight is roughly the "hitch weight". We did not understand this at first. FR replaced our first axle under warrantee. We did the second and third ourselves using Dexter 5200 pound axles and matching heavier springs. We suggested to FR that they offer "heavier spring/axles" as optional upgrades just like larger ACs are options. The problem for them is that they order frames and running gear all pre-built from Lippert with knowing what trailer, or model, is going to be built on the frame.
On our last trip I had it weighed and it was 6200 pounds. The two 3500 pound axles total 7000 pounds, so there's not a lot of leeway. I don't carry fresh water in the tank.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
My dry bearing story goes one step further. I lost an entire wheel and brake assembly on I-95 in North Carolina. Needed a new axle, and asked the shop to check the bearings on the other axle. One was totally dry and the other needed repacking. I had all wheel bearings inspected at the beginning of the trip, so it was about 10K miles. The flying wheel did substantial damage to the trailer. After two weeks in a motel waiting for the axle to come in, we got back on road and went straight to the dealer who did the pre-trip service. They took no responsibility. From then on I carry an IR thermometer and check the wheel temp at every stop. BTW, I have limited mechanical ability, so I depend on pros for trailer maintenance and repair. I'm still searching for a dependable shop.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
rvdixie is right on. use the EZ lube feature and add grease until new comes out the front - about 5 pumps. Annually I jack up each axle and rotate checking for smooth quiet operating and the rock side to side to check clearance. The is a spec for this clearance in Dexter reference. If all is quiet and in spec then good for another year. Bearing run about 135 deg on IR gun - same as my truck.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I'm still searching for a dependable shop.
I truly wish you the best. I am sure there are good, reputable shops out there, but finding one will be an expensive, time consuming process.

If you find one, there is no guarrantee the folks who impressed you will be working there the next time you go.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
Here in Goshen at the FROG rally and the beginning of a 10,000 mile trip. Just bought an IR thermometer and plan to shot the tires and wheels at each stop.

Trying to stay away from having to post another horror story.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #18
I up graded to 6K axles, 12"X2" 7K Dexter brakes and Dexter E-Z Flex suspension and do my own bearings. This has been inexpensive considering 43K so far, with no problems.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #19
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
You might give some serious thought to a TPMS and you will know what is going on in REAL TIME and not just while you are sitting still. I wouldn't leave my driveway without mine. It will show a temp increase if you have a bearing problem long before you burn it up.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #20

Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote

trailer, wheel