Old 08-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Burned up Trailer Wheel Bearing

Last week when returning from a trip to Oregon I stopped in Laytonville California for gas. I did my usual walk around and found my left front trailer wheel smoking hot! So I towed it slowly to a nearby tire shop who determined it needed new bearings and a complete new brake assembly. They also recommended a new axle when I got home due to surface damage to the spindle. The local shop which repacked the trailer's wheel bearings last April has verbally agreed to pay the repair costs. The most disconcerting thing is that the Laytonville shop did not find a cotter pin holding on the castellated nut at all.

I guess I will go back to repacking my own wheel bearings and buy an infrared thermometer to check them...

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
Learning a lot as I go...

Good you stopped but Laytonville is not the optimal place to stop for gas, especially if you have a big tank. Much cheaper down the road a short hop in Willits.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
Last week when returning from a trip to Oregon I stopped in Laytonville California for gas. I did my usual walk around and found my left front trailer wheel smoking hot! So I towed it slowly to a nearby tire shop who determined it needed new bearings and a complete new brake assembly. They also recommended a new axle when I got home due to surface damage to the spindle. The local shop which repacked the trailer's wheel bearings last April has verbally agreed to pay the repair costs. The most disconcerting thing is that the Laytonville shop did not find a cotter pin holding on the castellated nut at all.

I guess I will go back to repacking my own wheel bearings and buy an infrared thermometer to check them...
Your axle may not have used the cotter pin type retention system. There is a axle bearing "Tang" washer with a tab that is bent up to keep the nut from moving. If the tab broke off after it was last bent up, it may have fallen out when the bearing failed.

Replacement Spindle Washer - Tang Type for E-Z Lube TruRyde Accessories and Parts 5-101

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

That's why I do my own every spring.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Your axle may not have used the cotter pin type retention system. There is a axle bearing "Tang" washer with a tab that is bent up to keep the nut from moving. If the tab broke off after it was last bent up, it may have fallen out when the bearing failed.

Replacement Spindle Washer - Tang Type for E-Z Lube TruRyde Accessories and Parts 5-101
Thanks but I'm sure it was supposed to have a cotter pin. The hole for the pin is off center due to the grease channel from the zerk fitting. The guy in Laytonville said it was hard to align the nut to get the pin through so maybe that has something to do with it. I am going to pull the other wheels at some point to see If they were done properly.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
I am going to pull the other wheels at some point to see If they were done properly.
At some point? I think I would do it ASAP given your recent experience.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

This is why I try to do all of my own work. It is so frustrating to see corners cut which leads to overall shoddy work.

Made the mistake last month to have my oil changed on my new F350. I mean, how hard is it to drain 13 quarts of oil, remove/replace a filter, and then pour 13 quarts into the engine?

I drained 17 quarts of oil out of the system. The extra 4 quarts was basically being blown into the intake via the PCV system and this oil was causing my diesel particulate filter to clog every 70 miles.

Went to dealership for DPF clogging before this discovery and all they told me was that were no codes on the computer and send me away.

Flat rate reimbursement for tech salaries is a model which results in poor work but increased profitability for the shop's owner.

You want to see lousy RV work? Pay Camping World $1,200 to seal your roof, edges, and windows. I doubt they even use a 1/2 tube of Dicor to do it and I suspect what I saw was 15 minutes of labor.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

Mines in for leaking axle seals that have ruined 2 sets of shoes and bearings. Way back after our maiden voyage the trailer had to go in for several other items and I noted the 2 hot brakes one on each side, I told them the shoes maybe set too tight so please check them out. When I got it back they said I was setting my brake controller too high. OKay......

So now there are major repairs and most concerning is we have been driving around with defective brakes all along.

Nights camped 2016- 20
Days at dealer 2016- 37
firsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
You want to see lousy RV work? Pay Camping World $1,200 to seal your roof, edges, and windows. I doubt they even use a 1/2 tube of Dicor to do it and I suspect what I saw was 15 minutes of labor.
This was the final straw that buried Media Camping of PA in my mind. I felt I was ripped off on a bearing repack but though it was a "one off" and then was talked into this just 6 months later because it was "on secial for $600.00.

When I started doing things myself I realized how bad they were.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

Wheel Bearings

Besides normal maintenance you also need to be weight aware. Our 27RKSS weighs 7000 pounds with fresh water and propane. It came with two 3500 pound axles and 3500 pound spring sets. The cargo weight is roughly the "hitch weight". We did not understand this at first. FR replaced our first axle under warrantee. We did the second and third ourselves using Dexter 5200 pound axles and matching heavier springs. We suggested to FR that they offer "heavier spring/axles" as optional upgrades just like larger ACs are options. The problem for them is that they order frames and running gear all pre-built from Lippert with knowing what trailer, or model, is going to be built on the frame.

Tags
trailer, wheel