Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 175
Buying New Tire Question

I posted late last night that I had my spare tire blow out and I've got one tire showing severe signs of wear.

I believe the 3 other tires on the trailer are in good condition. If I upgrade to the Goodyear Endurance, do I need to upgrade all 4 tires (move best of the used to spare) or can I upgrade only the bad tire or even upgrade the tires on the same axle?

At just shy of 2 years old, I'm hoping it was just the tire and not a spindle/axle issue that caused the uneven tire wear.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys
__________________

__________________

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,492
I think that if you wanted to replace an axle set only that would be OK... rotate the old one to the spare...
However I would personally be prepared to replace the other set within a few thousand miles.

I would also have a tire shop look at the bad tire for a sign that it was a bad tire rather than risk a new tire on a bad spindle/axle.
__________________

__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I think that if you wanted to replace an axle set only that would be OK... rotate the old one to the spare...
However I would personally be prepared to replace the other set within a few thousand miles.

I would also have a tire shop look at the bad tire for a sign that it was a bad tire rather than risk a new tire on a bad spindle/axle.
Yeah thats what I assumed. Maybe I should just get all 4. Sadly the front two tires look good too.
__________________

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 175
I uploaded new photo's of the bad tire.

I noticed today in the light that there was some sort of skid mark just above the tire [last picture]. I'm not sure what that's from.

I'm sure glad I pulled this out of storage a couple days early. I've got a 1200 mi round trip this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6230.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	184623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6231.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	184624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6233.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	184625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6232.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	184626  
__________________

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,492
obvious from photo that tire is rubbing on underside... what the cause is would be anyone's guess at this point without more details or information... but before going on a 1200 miles trip I think I would find out...

There have been threads on this forum about tires bottoming out... possibly too much weight load directly above this tire?

When parked are all the tires about the same distance from the wheel wells?

A quick fix might be to sub longer shackles on your leaf springs... take this unit to a truck spring shop for some answers.
__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
obvious from photo that tire is rubbing on underside... what the cause is would be anyone's guess at this point without more details or information... but before going on a 1200 miles trip I think I would find out...

There have been threads on this forum about tires bottoming out... possibly too much weight load directly above this tire?

When parked are all the tires about the same distance from the wheel wells?

A quick fix might be to sub longer shackles on your leaf springs... take this unit to a truck spring shop for some answers.
Right above the tires on that side is the Fridge/Pantry. I don't feel like i'v seen them sag that low, but maybe I am mistaken.

There is no rubbing on the front passenger side tire, only the rear tire. Which has me confused as I would think both would rub had it been overloaded, right? And the front tire doesn't show any of the same signs. I didn't see any cracks in the springs, or missing parts as some of the others posts have shown.

Tomorrow I'll go out and measure the distance to the top from each tire. The camper hasn't been loaded with food or gear for this trip yet, so should give me a good number.
__________________

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,492
If as you say you have a 1200 mi trip coming up this weekend, I would get an appointment at a spring shop right away... as I say for not much money they can sub a longer spring shackles to give you more travel room to keep that tire off the frame...
while they are working on it they may be able to see something that you would miss... as far as the cause

Here in Cincinnati I have used a place called Dent Spring... I do not know if this is a national chain shop or not...
__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 1,050
First thing that comes to mind on the rubbing is overloaded trailer. I would get it weighed asap. If it is not overweight then you may have a spring issue. Are you the first owner or did you buy it used. It may have been overloaded by a previous owner. If you don't find any overloading or spring issues I would get a piece of similar plastic and glue/silicone/tack it where the piece is worn off so I could tell later if I am rubbing again.

On the replacing one tire question I would consider age of tires and remaining tread. If the tires are less than 2-3 years old with good tread I would consider replacing one tire. If they are more than a few years old, have less than half the tread or show other signs of aging I would replace all tires. If I replaced one tire now I would replace it again when I replaced the other 3 in a few years.
__________________
Michael & Fran Dilday (Baxter & Honey 2 Labs)
'18 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat DRW w/Reese hitch - TST 507 Color TPMS - Garmin RV 770 LMT GPS
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
First thing that comes to mind on the rubbing is overloaded trailer. I would get it weighed asap. If it is not overweight then you may have a spring issue. Are you the first owner or did you buy it used. It may have been overloaded by a previous owner. If you don't find any overloading or spring issues I would get a piece of similar plastic and glue/silicone/tack it where the piece is worn off so I could tell later if I am rubbing again.

On the replacing one tire question I would consider age of tires and remaining tread. If the tires are less than 2-3 years old with good tread I would consider replacing one tire. If they are more than a few years old, have less than half the tread or show other signs of aging I would replace all tires. If I replaced one tire now I would replace it again when I replaced the other 3 in a few years.

Yeah I need to put something there to see. Not only that, but will help keep that what looks like plywood dry. I am the only owner of this camper. Bought it new in Nov 2016. All of the tires look pretty good, i'll have to test tread tomorrow to see actual depth.

All 4 are Castle Rock's from China. Including the 1 that blew up (spare tire).

One thing that comes to mind on how it would have bottomed out.. On one trip last summer we traveling down the interstate and there ended up being a "dip" but they put the sign in the wrong spot and we hit it pretty hard. I'm not sure if that could have caused it or not. No other tires show any damage, I also haven't hit a curb. So that's about all I can come up with as of now.

I think I may end up replacing all 4 with a better quality tire (Goodyear Endurance) and keeping one for the spare.

I'll see if i can get it in somewhere tomorrow to have springs looked at.
__________________

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 2,492
Quote:
would have bottomed out.. On one trip last summer we traveling down the
hitting one DIP in the road may have bottom out the tire to cause the rub, but did NOT cause the tire wear...

I am thinking there is a problem with something loose on that leaf spring assembly...

once you get that answered I would do the Endurance thing for all four tires...
__________________

__________________


2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.