Old 08-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #1

Buying New Tire Question

I posted late last night that I had my spare tire blow out and I've got one tire showing severe signs of wear.

I believe the 3 other tires on the trailer are in good condition. If I upgrade to the Goodyear Endurance, do I need to upgrade all 4 tires (move best of the used to spare) or can I upgrade only the bad tire or even upgrade the tires on the same axle?

At just shy of 2 years old, I'm hoping it was just the tire and not a spindle/axle issue that caused the uneven tire wear.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

I think that if you wanted to replace an axle set only that would be OK... rotate the old one to the spare...
However I would personally be prepared to replace the other set within a few thousand miles.

I would also have a tire shop look at the bad tire for a sign that it was a bad tire rather than risk a new tire on a bad spindle/axle.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I think that if you wanted to replace an axle set only that would be OK... rotate the old one to the spare...
However I would personally be prepared to replace the other set within a few thousand miles.

I would also have a tire shop look at the bad tire for a sign that it was a bad tire rather than risk a new tire on a bad spindle/axle.
Yeah thats what I assumed. Maybe I should just get all 4. Sadly the front two tires look good too.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

I uploaded new photo's of the bad tire.

I noticed today in the light that there was some sort of skid mark just above the tire [last picture]. I'm not sure what that's from.

I'm sure glad I pulled this out of storage a couple days early. I've got a 1200 mi round trip this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6230.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	184623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6231.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	184624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6233.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	184625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6232.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	184626  

Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #5

obvious from photo that tire is rubbing on underside... what the cause is would be anyone's guess at this point without more details or information... but before going on a 1200 miles trip I think I would find out...

There have been threads on this forum about tires bottoming out... possibly too much weight load directly above this tire?

When parked are all the tires about the same distance from the wheel wells?

A quick fix might be to sub longer shackles on your leaf springs... take this unit to a truck spring shop for some answers.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
obvious from photo that tire is rubbing on underside... what the cause is would be anyone's guess at this point without more details or information... but before going on a 1200 miles trip I think I would find out...

There have been threads on this forum about tires bottoming out... possibly too much weight load directly above this tire?

When parked are all the tires about the same distance from the wheel wells?

A quick fix might be to sub longer shackles on your leaf springs... take this unit to a truck spring shop for some answers.
Right above the tires on that side is the Fridge/Pantry. I don't feel like i'v seen them sag that low, but maybe I am mistaken.

There is no rubbing on the front passenger side tire, only the rear tire. Which has me confused as I would think both would rub had it been overloaded, right? And the front tire doesn't show any of the same signs. I didn't see any cracks in the springs, or missing parts as some of the others posts have shown.

Tomorrow I'll go out and measure the distance to the top from each tire. The camper hasn't been loaded with food or gear for this trip yet, so should give me a good number.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

If as you say you have a 1200 mi trip coming up this weekend, I would get an appointment at a spring shop right away... as I say for not much money they can sub a longer spring shackles to give you more travel room to keep that tire off the frame...
while they are working on it they may be able to see something that you would miss... as far as the cause

Here in Cincinnati I have used a place called Dent Spring... I do not know if this is a national chain shop or not...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #8

First thing that comes to mind on the rubbing is overloaded trailer. I would get it weighed asap. If it is not overweight then you may have a spring issue. Are you the first owner or did you buy it used. It may have been overloaded by a previous owner. If you don't find any overloading or spring issues I would get a piece of similar plastic and glue/silicone/tack it where the piece is worn off so I could tell later if I am rubbing again.

On the replacing one tire question I would consider age of tires and remaining tread. If the tires are less than 2-3 years old with good tread I would consider replacing one tire. If they are more than a few years old, have less than half the tread or show other signs of aging I would replace all tires. If I replaced one tire now I would replace it again when I replaced the other 3 in a few years.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
First thing that comes to mind on the rubbing is overloaded trailer. I would get it weighed asap. If it is not overweight then you may have a spring issue. Are you the first owner or did you buy it used. It may have been overloaded by a previous owner. If you don't find any overloading or spring issues I would get a piece of similar plastic and glue/silicone/tack it where the piece is worn off so I could tell later if I am rubbing again.

On the replacing one tire question I would consider age of tires and remaining tread. If the tires are less than 2-3 years old with good tread I would consider replacing one tire. If they are more than a few years old, have less than half the tread or show other signs of aging I would replace all tires. If I replaced one tire now I would replace it again when I replaced the other 3 in a few years.

Yeah I need to put something there to see. Not only that, but will help keep that what looks like plywood dry. I am the only owner of this camper. Bought it new in Nov 2016. All of the tires look pretty good, i'll have to test tread tomorrow to see actual depth.

All 4 are Castle Rock's from China. Including the 1 that blew up (spare tire).

One thing that comes to mind on how it would have bottomed out.. On one trip last summer we traveling down the interstate and there ended up being a "dip" but they put the sign in the wrong spot and we hit it pretty hard. I'm not sure if that could have caused it or not. No other tires show any damage, I also haven't hit a curb. So that's about all I can come up with as of now.

I think I may end up replacing all 4 with a better quality tire (Goodyear Endurance) and keeping one for the spare.

I'll see if i can get it in somewhere tomorrow to have springs looked at.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
would have bottomed out.. On one trip last summer we traveling down the
hitting one DIP in the road may have bottom out the tire to cause the rub, but did NOT cause the tire wear...

I am thinking there is a problem with something loose on that leaf spring assembly...

once you get that answered I would do the Endurance thing for all four tires...

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
tire