Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Calling all Motor-Heads

I have an oil pressure question regarding my 2003 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 motor and 4:11 running gears. The truck has 85K miles on it and I'm the original owner. I never much looked at the oil pressure gauge when towing my TT, as I'm usually looking at the RPM's. Recently my oil pressure sender gauge became stuck on 80 lbs. A new pressure sender was installed and I then noticed when the engine running at hegh RPM (4,000) the oil pressure would read between 75-80 pounds. The truck idles at 40 pounds and runs about 50-60 pounds at 65 mph. A mechanical gauge was used to double check the sending unit and it showed the same readings. Long story-short a new oil pump was installed and the condition basically remains the same. My mechanic has the same motor in his truck and when he took his truck out and ran the motor up to 4K his oil pressure was at 75 pounds. I'm thinking this is just the nature of this motor. I'm not too happy that a new oil pump was installed, especially if I did not need it, and the question crosses my mind should I buy a new truck or is the motor getting ready to blow up? I only drive the truck about 2k a year and I really do not want to purchase a new truck. My mechanic also said the motor oil looked good and no sludge was detected. Any suggestions/comments on if this condition is normal for this motor? Thanks, Steve
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

I googled it... Appears the sender is the first fix/check.... Then the instrument cluster. In my humble experience about half the time it is bad connection at the ribbon that causes problems. You could plug and unplug the ribbon. Cheap check.

Next best option. Find a local independent repair shop that specializes in GM...they usually fly the ac Delco signs outside. Then talk to them. I assure you they have seen this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Not all vehicles with oil gauges are actual gauges, some are really just glorified idiot lights with needles. Sounds like you have an actual gauge which is good.
I doubt you have an actual problem and replacing the oil pump was probably not necessary. I did read about a filter in the engine for the sending unit on this thread: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...33921_ds539247. Worth checking out.
I'd get your oil analyzed. There are kits available like this: AMSOIL OAI Oil Sample Value Kit. This will tell you a lot about your engine wear by the metals dissolved in the oil, high levels of tin or non-ferrous metals can point to worn bearings.
Oil grade is also a factor, what weight are you using? A step up, as long as ambient temps permit, can help.
Good luck!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

You didn't need the oil pump.

Your readings are normal.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

I guess I don't understand the problem, what is wrong with the oil pressures you are seeing? I have 194K on a 1500 silverado with the 5.7 my idle is around 30 lb 2K rpm 40 lb and max when engine cold 70 or there about.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #6

The pressures you stated seem fine to me too.
derrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #7

Those are normal pressures.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote