Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #21

China Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Major, the consensus around here seems to be that they're all made offshore these days - even the most popular brands: Goodyear and Maxxis. If you're aware of a brand that's still made in the US or Canada please let us know.
I'm curious also what brands are still made in USA. Haven't found any yet! Upon completing our trip to Florida last Spring, I replaced one of the original tires that had a slow leak in the inside sidewall. Haven't had a problem with the other 3, but I always check the pressures before and during each trip. After traveling over 5000 miles on the 3, I may replace them next Spring.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #22

Every TowMax tire that I have had on my TT has exploded. Yep, all 5 of them. My personal friend and tire shop owner recommended the Hercules brand as being the best of the offshore ST tires. I now have 4 Hercules tires on the ground, one spare on the tire carrier and a second spare in the bed of the TV. So far, they have worked well and look good to the TPMS [temp & pressure].
I'm comfortable with this brand, but we'll see what they deliver over the years.
I currently have about 2,100 miles on them.
IMHO, TowMax tires are a death wish!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #23

Higher load rating & higher speed rating

I've had so many blowouts on trailers, but I think I finally have the answer. Up the load rating, so you're not near the limit, and up the speed rating to freeway speeds. I bought Taskmaster tires in 14 inch that were Load range D and rated for 81 mph rather the 65 mph load range C standard for trailer tires. I only have 1000 miles on them, but I'm convinced they will work well. I changed my bass boat trailer to passenger car tires, my utility trailer to LT tires, and my big boat and ROO to Taskmaster. So far, so good on all of them. In my opinion, there is no reason to buy a tire rated for 65 mp h. Even when driving 65 mph, I've had lots of blowouts. The blowouts damage the trailer, which costs more than the tire replacement. I've heard several folks say that when one tire goes on a side the other one will go soon. So it was with mine.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #24

Got another question. I am going to get 4 new tires on Monday once we get home from camping. The guy I talked to earlier this week near where we are camping kinda blew me off so, I called a place near the house who actually wants my business and made arrangements. So my question is can I go to an 85 instead of an 80 to get a higher load rated tire? How much clearance do I need? The wheels on my 5ver are already pretty close together. I can barely get X-chocks in between them now.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #25

I run Michelin LT tires no problems. Change at 7 years.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #26

Hey Rick,
Maybe you should call PT monday and check with them to be sure on clearance.....just thinking out loud
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #27

To be sure you may need to mount up two and check clearance. Can not have a rub.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire