Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Can I run on spare??

Hi , everyone I just wanted to see what everybody thought about using my spare for my last three trips. All which are 1 1/2 hours from home. Here's my story on my way home from Watkins Glen (YES THE RACE) I went up on a curb and put a little gouge on my tire didn't break any cords and stayed up I was half way home so I went with it and checked it once and a while and made it home with no air loss its still at 50 lbs. so now I put my spare on which is a steel rim .My problem is we may be getting a new rig this spring and don't want to buy four new tires or one new tire now and three next spring in case we keep it another year. Or should I buy one tire and just take the spare off. I think my original tire may get me to safety if I get a flat. I was planning on getting new tires next year any way. thanks for any help
Old 08-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

I would buy one tire and have it mounted on the spare rim and have the spare tire mounted on the normal rim.

Matched, no?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would buy one tire and have it mounted on the spare rim and have the spare tire mounted on the normal rim.

Matched, no?
Do you think that the steel rim would run different from the aluminium rims?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
Do you think that the steel rim would run different from the aluminium rims?
No, I just do not like the look.

Kind of like to keep things looking "coordinated" so to speak.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

I'm currently running on three tires of one brand and one tire of another brand due to a similar situation. The spare for my unit was not the same brand as the tires on the ground. Rather than disturb the spare I just bought one new tire to replace the tire that got a split in the sidewall. I don't think anyone has noticed the different brands or at least they haven't said anything.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote