Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

Can I use LT truck tire on my 5th wheel?

Just had my first blowout with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th wheel. I was on the highway for about 30 minutes before the tire blew. I always check the tire pressure (cold) before starting out each day and have TireMinders on the wheels. The Goodyear Marathon ST235 / 80R16 tires are only one year old! I drive between 60 -65 mph. Has anyone else had any problems? Also - has anyone transitioned to LT truck tires? If so what tire did you use. There is tons of info on the Internet regarding this subject but would like to especially hear comments from Prime.
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Sorry to hear that happened...Most likely the tire struck some kind of foreign object that caused the tire to pop right away, thus no warning from TPMS...but I have also seen a bad belt in a tire cause a blowout without any tire pressure fluctuations.
Many members here are using LT for their campers with success, sure they will chime in

Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #3

Swapped that size tire on my 5ver and went with LT245/75/R16 Goodyears. Worked just great...almost the same size.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #4

I run Firestone TransForce LT on my Crusader. No problems in two yrs and 20000 mls.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

I went through 2 sets of ST tires on my 2006 Sandpiper 335RLT before I realized the sticker actually called for a LT tire. After much reading on this forum I choose the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All Season LT235 /85 R16 120Q E1 BSW. They have been on for about 2 years and several thousand miles now and still look great and perform great. They were $820 balanced and installed...
New addition "Katmandu" rescue cat from Bear Creek Campground, Asheville on Christmas Day 2013
Camped in 2014 = lost count...but over 40...more to come!
canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo View Post
Just had my first blowout with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th wheel. I was on the highway for about 30 minutes before the tire blew. I always check the tire pressure (cold) before starting out each day and have TireMinders on the wheels. The Goodyear Marathon ST235 / 80R16 tires are only one year old! I drive between 60 -65 mph. Has anyone else had any problems? Also - has anyone transitioned to LT truck tires? If so what tire did you use. There is tons of info on the Internet regarding this subject but would like to especially hear comments from Prime.
Feel your pain. My Sanibel 3500 sustained a blowout on the same Marathon's you have on your. I religiously checked and maintained 80 psi cold pressure on them before each trip. The unit was being transported to Indiana for an upper frame flex issue and other punch list items that came up during our ownership. The tires had a little over 6K on them. After my research on the tires, I decided to go with the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 load range G. These tires have a higher load range and made for 5th wheel trailers. Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector The tire diameter (30.7") is the same as the Marathons and width is slightly larger (.3"). You will find a lot of opinions concerning using other than ST tires on your unit, but my opinion is that a change from the Marathons on my Sanibel is required. I checked and the wheels on my Sanibel can take the greater loaded tire (110 psi max air pressure). Yours should be the same, but I would verify.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo View Post
“NEVER FIT TIRES TO A VEHICLE THAT HAVE LESS LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY THAN REQUIRED BY THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER”

That statement is found in the following Goodyear reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GY0513.pdf

But, all is not lost. You can use the LT235/85R16G G614 RST. New, stronger and wider rims will be needed. And make sure they will have the necessary clearances in the wheelwell and between the tires.

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160007

Airdale
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
“NEVER FIT TIRES TO A VEHICLE THAT HAVE LESS LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY THAN REQUIRED BY THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER”

That statement is found in the following Goodyear reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GY0513.pdf

But, all is not lost. You can use the LT235/85R16G G614 RST. New, stronger and wider rims will be needed. And make sure they will have the necessary clearances in the wheelwell and between the tires.

Truck Tire Selector, Retreading, and Technology | Goodyear Commercial Truck Tire Systems

Airdale
The wheels on my 2013 Sanibel 3500, which could be the same wheels on the 2013 Sanibel 3600 were provided to Prime Time by Tredit. They are T06 8 spoke wheels which are rated to 110 psi max and can be fitted with the Goodyear G614s as per an email response from Tredit:
My email to Tredit:
Greetings,
The wheels on my 2013 PrimeTime Sanibel I believe were provided by your company to PrimeTime. I am anticipating upgrading the tires on the wheels from the originally installed Goodyear Marathons ST 235/80/R16 80 psi cold max load range E to Goodyear G614 RST LT 235/85/R16 load range G 110 psi cold max. I believe the wheels on my unit are T06 8-spoke (base on matching the wheel to your site photos).

Will the G614s fit on these wheels and are the wheels rated up to 110 psi?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Tredit Response:

Good morning. Based on the wheels you show to be on your Prime Time coach, which are our T06 style. Those would have the weight capacity of 3750, which meets the 110 PSI requirements needed for the Goodyear G614 tires. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Have a good afternoon!

Thank you,

Missy Rogers
National Accounts Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
Office: 574/293-0581 ext. 110
Cell: 574/320-5129
Old 09-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post

Tredit Response:

Good morning. Based on the wheels you show to be on your Prime Time coach, which are our T06 style. Those would have the weight capacity of 3750, which meets the 110 PSI requirements needed for the Goodyear G614 tires. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Have a good afternoon!

Thank you,

Missy Rogers
National Accounts Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
Office: 574/293-0581 ext. 110
Cell: 574/320-5129
There is no disrespect intended in this post to the OP or the rim provider.

The Goodyear tire data book clearly describes the LT235/85R16G, aka; G614 RST tire as having a single rim width, 6 and ½ inches. IMO only the vehicle manufacturer can justify using any rim with dimensions that differ from those recommended by the tire manufacturer.

It is often posted that those tires are commonly used on 6” wide rims without incident. However, that is anecdotal information and not supported by documentation from those responsible for such fitments. Of course, the bottom line is the owner has the final say so with after market fitments.

I often get negative feed back from these posts that wander from safety. I’m sure that being an aircraft mechanic for more than 40 years contributes to my nearly overbearing safety senses.

Airdale
Old 09-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
There is no disrespect intended in this post to the OP or the rim provider.

The Goodyear tire data book clearly describes the LT235/85R16G, aka; G614 RST tire as having a single rim width, 6 and ½ inches. IMO only the vehicle manufacturer can justify using any rim with dimensions that differ from those recommended by the tire manufacturer.

It is often posted that those tires are commonly used on 6” wide rims without incident. However, that is anecdotal information and not supported by documentation from those responsible for such fitments. Of course, the bottom line is the owner has the final say so with after market fitments.

I often get negative feed back from these posts that wander from safety. I’m sure that being an aircraft mechanic for more than 40 years contributes to my nearly overbearing safety senses.

Airdale
Airdale,
No disrespect received from your input. I will be getting back to the manufacturer concerning the rim width. No issues when it comes to safety. I so appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Airdale,
No disrespect received from your input. I will be getting back to the manufacturer concerning the rim width. No issues when it comes to safety. I so appreciate your comments. Thanks.
I do feel confident that these tires will be fine on my 16" wheels that are rated to 3750@110 psi 6.0" Rim width, after contacting the 5th wheel manufacturer representative, Tredit (supplied the wheels and confirmed tires are acceptable on my wheels), Tires and Wheels/Sparks Inc (called and confirmed tires are acceptable with the 6.0 rims with proper rated wheels), and Goodyear Customer service, who referred me to their Commercial tire dealer in NC. I will be replacing my GY Marathons with them.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

Where do you find the max pressure on the rim? Have been considering LT tires for my Sierra fifth wheel
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I do feel confident that these tires will be fine on my 16" wheels that are rated to 3750@110 psi 6.0" Rim width, after contacting the 5th wheel manufacturer representative, Tredit (supplied the wheels and confirmed tires are acceptable on my wheels), Tires and Wheels/Sparks Inc (called and confirmed tires are acceptable with the 6.0 rims with proper rated wheels), and Goodyear Customer service, who referred me to their Commercial tire dealer in NC. I will be replacing my GY Marathons with them.
No sooner do I send off my last comment, I get an email response from Goodyear. I sent off a request a couple of days ago and didn't think they would be answer and that is why I called Goodyear Customer service today. Now I receive an email stating the contrary. I have sent this off to Prime Times Rep for a WTF. I am so confused! Here is the email I received this morning:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200
Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site. The required rim width is 6.50. We
would not recommend installing the tire on a 6" wheel.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations

A Goodyear website user has submitted a request through the corporate
contact form. Please address the concern accordingly.

Name:

Can I use Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 tires on 16" aluminum wheels rated for 110 psi with a rim width of 6"? This would be for a 5th wheel travel
trailer.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Where do you find the max pressure on the rim? Have been considering LT tires for my Sierra fifth wheel
I called the company that provided the wheels to Prime Time. The company is Tredit. I have been told that the max press is stamped on the back of the wheel.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

I called the company that provided the wheels to Prime Time. The company is Tredit. I have been told that the max press is stamped on the back of the wheel.
X2...take wheel off and look for stamp inside wheel...Easy find

Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
No sooner do I send off my last comment, I get an email response from Goodyear. I sent off a request a couple of days ago and didn't think they would be answer and that is why I called Goodyear Customer service today. Now I receive an email stating the contrary. I have sent this off to Prime Times Rep for a WTF. I am so confused! Here is the email I received this morning:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 200
Innovation Way Akron, OH 44316-0001 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site. The required rim width is 6.50. We
would not recommend installing the tire on a 6" wheel.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations

A Goodyear website user has submitted a request through the corporate
contact form. Please address the concern accordingly.

Name:

Can I use Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 tires on 16" aluminum wheels rated for 110 psi with a rim width of 6"? This would be for a 5th wheel travel
trailer.
Got a response from Tredit-

I am very sorry for the delay in my response. I have been traveling this week and just got back. When the Goodyear tire data book states that the approved rim width is 16X6.5. It simply means that the 16X6.5 rim was used during the tire testing and the measurements were taken when using the 6.5 wide rim. The Tire and Rim Association book states that the approved rims for an LT235/85R16 tire are 6J, 6 1/2J, 7J & 7 1/2J. I hope that this information is helpful.

Anyone have a take on all of this?? My final thought are that the tires are good to go.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Got a response from Tredit-

The Tire and Rim Association book states that the approved rims for an LT235/85R16 tire are 6J, 6 1/2J, 7J & 7 1/2J. I hope that this information is helpful.
And that is a true statement, in part.

Although the Goodyear G614 is manufactured in that size it's construction is much different and is only approved for 6 and 1'2 inch rims. It's an all steel cased tire developed for trailer service.

I spent 15 minutes this afternoon on the phone with our area Goodyear rep. He assured me that Goodyear would only recommend that tire be used on 6 and 1/2 inch rims. Phone # ref 910-922-3104.

Airdale
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #18

My husband and I went round and round on RV tires. We have a 2013 Cardinal and the tread came completely off of one of the tires, damaging our RV. We have 16ST Michelins 80 PSI. The weight the tires held was not strong enough for the our RV. We were told the manufacturer only puts the minimal on the RV. We decided to get new tires. We bought 14 ply tires, 110 PSI, Provider F835s, which we purchased at Discount tire. These tires are very strong and the weight they can take is 4000 lbs per tire. We had a terrible time finding the information on the rims. We tried to find the answer on if our rims could take the 110 PSI tire. It was not marked on our rim at all. We called the manufacture of the rims and they told us that you cannot put a 110 PSI tire on an 80PSI rim because the rim for the 110PSI tire is made a bit different for the heavy steeled-walled tire. The old tires were E's and now the new tires are G's. We feel at ease when we go down the road knowing we have the right tires for our RV. Our rims are from Syndel.
Schnooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks56 View Post
My husband and I went round and round on RV tires. We have a 2013 Cardinal and the tread came completely off of one of the tires, damaging our RV. We have 16ST Michelins 80 PSI. The weight the tires held was not strong enough for the our RV. We were told the manufacturer only puts the minimal on the RV. We decided to get new tires. We bought 14 ply tires, 110 PSI, Provider F835s, which we purchased at Discount tire. These tires are very strong and the weight they can take is 4000 lbs per tire. We had a terrible time finding the information on the rims. We tried to find the answer on if our rims could take the 110 PSI tire. It was not marked on our rim at all. We called the manufacture of the rims and they told us that you cannot put a 110 PSI tire on an 80PSI rim because the rim for the 110PSI tire is made a bit different for the heavy steeled-walled tire. The old tires were E's and now the new tires are G's. We feel at ease when we go down the road knowing we have the right tires for our RV. Our rims are from Syndel.

Goodness.....14 Ply?? those must be run flat tires....

OK... I guess I am stupider than I wish I was, but I am NOT used to dealing with T/T and 5ers... so I can only speak from the old hot-rodding days...but a 1/2" difference in rim size was not important. The modern/correct way of doing things amazes me.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 PM   #20
Incheon, S. Korea

It's because of the liability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Goodness.....14 Ply?? those must be run flat tires....

OK... I guess I am stupider than I wish I was, but I am NOT used to dealing with T/T and 5ers... so I can only speak from the old hot-rodding days...but a 1/2" difference in rim size was not important. The modern/correct way of doing things amazes me.
You're not stupider.
Goodyear ONLY tested the tires with 6.5" rims, so legally they would be 100% liable if they recommended/approved any other rim size.
It's corporate liability that prevents them from saying yes, and by saying no, they have established in writing that they you have been warned, thus they are free from liability if you do install the tires.

That all being said, I'd install the tires!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tire, truck, wheel