Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Can I use LT truck tire on my 5th wheel?

Just had my first blowout with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th wheel. I was on the highway for about 30 minutes before the tire blew. I always check the tire pressure (cold) before starting out each day and have TireMinders on the wheels. The Goodyear Marathon ST235 / 80R16 tires are only one year old! I drive between 60 -65 mph. Has anyone else had any problems? Also - has anyone transitioned to LT truck tires? If so what tire did you use. There is tons of info on the Internet regarding this subject but would like to especially hear comments from Prime.
__________________

__________________
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Sorry to hear that happened...Most likely the tire struck some kind of foreign object that caused the tire to pop right away, thus no warning from TPMS...but I have also seen a bad belt in a tire cause a blowout without any tire pressure fluctuations.
Many members here are using LT for their campers with success, sure they will chime in
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brookings
Posts: 502
Swapped that size tire on my 5ver and went with LT245/75/R16 Goodyears. Worked just great...almost the same size.
__________________
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 125
I run Firestone TransForce LT on my Crusader. No problems in two yrs and 20000 mls.
__________________
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
canmannc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Salty Shores, NC
Posts: 28
I went through 2 sets of ST tires on my 2006 Sandpiper 335RLT before I realized the sticker actually called for a LT tire. After much reading on this forum I choose the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A All Season LT235 /85 R16 120Q E1 BSW. They have been on for about 2 years and several thousand miles now and still look great and perform great. They were $820 balanced and installed...
__________________
2006 Sandpiper 335RTL
2005 2500 HD Duramax w/hypertech programer
DW and Sallie Dog
New addition "Katmandu" rescue cat from Bear Creek Campground, Asheville on Christmas Day 2013
Camped in 2014 = lost count...but over 40...more to come!
canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BBBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bassett, Va
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo View Post
Just had my first blowout with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th wheel. I was on the highway for about 30 minutes before the tire blew. I always check the tire pressure (cold) before starting out each day and have TireMinders on the wheels. The Goodyear Marathon ST235 / 80R16 tires are only one year old! I drive between 60 -65 mph. Has anyone else had any problems? Also - has anyone transitioned to LT truck tires? If so what tire did you use. There is tons of info on the Internet regarding this subject but would like to especially hear comments from Prime.
Feel your pain. My Sanibel 3500 sustained a blowout on the same Marathon's you have on your. I religiously checked and maintained 80 psi cold pressure on them before each trip. The unit was being transported to Indiana for an upper frame flex issue and other punch list items that came up during our ownership. The tires had a little over 6K on them. After my research on the tires, I decided to go with the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 load range G. These tires have a higher load range and made for 5th wheel trailers. Goodyear RV Tires – Tire Selector The tire diameter (30.7") is the same as the Marathons and width is slightly larger (.3"). You will find a lot of opinions concerning using other than ST tires on your unit, but my opinion is that a change from the Marathons on my Sanibel is required. I checked and the wheels on my Sanibel can take the greater loaded tire (110 psi max air pressure). Yours should be the same, but I would verify.
__________________
BTCM(SW) Ret USN
2013 Sanibel 3500
2013 Ram Truck 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually

2017 Days camping-171
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo View Post
Just had my first blowout with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 5th wheel. I was on the highway for about 30 minutes before the tire blew. I always check the tire pressure (cold) before starting out each day and have TireMinders on the wheels. The Goodyear Marathon ST235 / 80R16 tires are only one year old! I drive between 60 -65 mph. Has anyone else had any problems? Also - has anyone transitioned to LT truck tires? If so what tire did you use. There is tons of info on the Internet regarding this subject but would like to especially hear comments from Prime.
“NEVER FIT TIRES TO A VEHICLE THAT HAVE LESS LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY THAN REQUIRED BY THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER”

That statement is found in the following Goodyear reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GY0513.pdf

But, all is not lost. You can use the LT235/85R16G G614 RST. New, stronger and wider rims will be needed. And make sure they will have the necessary clearances in the wheelwell and between the tires.

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160007



Airdale
__________________
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BBBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bassett, Va
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
“NEVER FIT TIRES TO A VEHICLE THAT HAVE LESS LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY THAN REQUIRED BY THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER”

That statement is found in the following Goodyear reference.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GY0513.pdf

But, all is not lost. You can use the LT235/85R16G G614 RST. New, stronger and wider rims will be needed. And make sure they will have the necessary clearances in the wheelwell and between the tires.

Truck Tire Selector, Retreading, and Technology | Goodyear Commercial Truck Tire Systems



Airdale
The wheels on my 2013 Sanibel 3500, which could be the same wheels on the 2013 Sanibel 3600 were provided to Prime Time by Tredit. They are T06 8 spoke wheels which are rated to 110 psi max and can be fitted with the Goodyear G614s as per an email response from Tredit:
My email to Tredit:
Greetings,
The wheels on my 2013 PrimeTime Sanibel I believe were provided by your company to PrimeTime. I am anticipating upgrading the tires on the wheels from the originally installed Goodyear Marathons ST 235/80/R16 80 psi cold max load range E to Goodyear G614 RST LT 235/85/R16 load range G 110 psi cold max. I believe the wheels on my unit are T06 8-spoke (base on matching the wheel to your site photos).

Will the G614s fit on these wheels and are the wheels rated up to 110 psi?

Thanks in advance for your assistance


Tredit Response:

Good morning. Based on the wheels you show to be on your Prime Time coach, which are our T06 style. Those would have the weight capacity of 3750, which meets the 110 PSI requirements needed for the Goodyear G614 tires. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Have a good afternoon!

Thank you,

Missy Rogers
National Accounts Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
Office: 574/293-0581 ext. 110
Cell: 574/320-5129
__________________
BTCM(SW) Ret USN
2013 Sanibel 3500
2013 Ram Truck 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually

2017 Days camping-171
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post

Tredit Response:

Good morning. Based on the wheels you show to be on your Prime Time coach, which are our T06 style. Those would have the weight capacity of 3750, which meets the 110 PSI requirements needed for the Goodyear G614 tires. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Have a good afternoon!

Thank you,

Missy Rogers
National Accounts Manager
Tredit Tire & Wheel Co.
Office: 574/293-0581 ext. 110
Cell: 574/320-5129
There is no disrespect intended in this post to the OP or the rim provider.

The Goodyear tire data book clearly describes the LT235/85R16G, aka; G614 RST tire as having a single rim width, 6 and ½ inches. IMO only the vehicle manufacturer can justify using any rim with dimensions that differ from those recommended by the tire manufacturer.

It is often posted that those tires are commonly used on 6” wide rims without incident. However, that is anecdotal information and not supported by documentation from those responsible for such fitments. Of course, the bottom line is the owner has the final say so with after market fitments.

I often get negative feed back from these posts that wander from safety. I’m sure that being an aircraft mechanic for more than 40 years contributes to my nearly overbearing safety senses.


Airdale
__________________
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
BBBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bassett, Va
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
There is no disrespect intended in this post to the OP or the rim provider.

The Goodyear tire data book clearly describes the LT235/85R16G, aka; G614 RST tire as having a single rim width, 6 and ½ inches. IMO only the vehicle manufacturer can justify using any rim with dimensions that differ from those recommended by the tire manufacturer.

It is often posted that those tires are commonly used on 6” wide rims without incident. However, that is anecdotal information and not supported by documentation from those responsible for such fitments. Of course, the bottom line is the owner has the final say so with after market fitments.

I often get negative feed back from these posts that wander from safety. I’m sure that being an aircraft mechanic for more than 40 years contributes to my nearly overbearing safety senses.


Airdale
Airdale,
No disrespect received from your input. I will be getting back to the manufacturer concerning the rim width. No issues when it comes to safety. I so appreciate your comments. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
BTCM(SW) Ret USN
2013 Sanibel 3500
2013 Ram Truck 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually

2017 Days camping-171
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, tire, truck, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.