Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires, who has them?

I am looking at relpacing the tires on our TT, Discount tire has Goodyear marathons and Carlisle Radials as well as Bias Plys. Our TT now has Carlisle Sure Trail Bias Plys on there now from the factory and I have always had good luck with Carlisle tires on my previous popup and boat trailer. This tire has a Heat guard and looks to be a good tire. Does anyone have them on your TT and do you like them?

These tires are load range E and I am moving up from D range. 4 tires installed for about $546.00

Tire Details - Discount Tire
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

I did some serious research on tires recently and 98% of all comments on Carlisle were bad, very bad. I literally saw hundreds of negative first hand experience comments. I had a set of Carlisle on my boat trailer (came new from the factory) and they were seperating like crazy on 2/4 of the tires after only 1 year! I called Carlisle and they immediatly without hesitation issued credit to Americas Tire for me to replace all 4 of my tires! I was very happy and impressed with the customer service. America's tire did not have 4 Carlisles in stock, so Carlisle authorized replacement of another brand, I ended up with Towmaster radials. I feel more at ease having another brand now just from my near blowout experience and reading about how many other people have the same experience.
etcatmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

thaks for the reply, I have never had a problem with the brand, I have heard alot of bad things about the Goodyear tires also. I think they are all made in China now anyway. Good to hear about the fast replacement of your tires under warrenty from carlisle. NTB is quoting Commodore tires and I have never heard of them and would like to atlest stay with a brand I am familiar with.

thanks again
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

What brand is the best?????

Well we just purchased our first fifth wheel, a 2005 All American Sport toy hauler. I dont know what tires are on it yet, but I did have to buy a new tire for the spare for when the hired mover delivers it to us...just in case! Well after reading all the negative reviews on Carlisle i do believe i would not have made them my first choice, but that transaction was this morning......Anywho, we chose the latest and greatest Carlisle (Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire 235/85r16 because it was the only supplier that listed the supply locally and in actuality it was the most expensive ($235 each). After reading all the reviews and damage horror stories I am scared to death there are older Carlisles on our fifth wheel and all that is on our side is that the delivery is only an hour away. If its Carlisles on the fifth wheel we will definitely get those replaced before a long trip and just save the old rubbers as spares. With that being said, what is the consensus on which brand and series is the best out there (e, f, g rating 12-14ply)?
hoggrunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #5

I was caught out of town when I had to replace my tires. Discount Tire had the Carlisles you mentioned and that is what I had installed. Now that I have done more research, I will be going with LT or "van" tires next time in a slightly different size.

I ran p-metric tires on my 23 foot boat trailer for decades before I got into the travel trailer. I know that they are different beasts (travel trailer is much heavier), but I used to blow out trailer tires on the boat trailer all the time, too. Once I switched to car tires, I would go 8+ years between replacements.

That said, I have put about 1,000 miles without incident on my new Carlisles.
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS (broken and TOTALED)
2008 Surveyor SV-234 (SOLD, but not forgotten)
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
I was caught out of town when I had to replace my tires. Discount Tire had the Carlisles you mentioned and that is what I had installed. Now that I have done more research, I will be going with LT or "van" tires next time in a slightly different size.

I ran p-metric tires on my 23 foot boat trailer for decades before I got into the travel trailer. I know that they are different beasts (travel trailer is much heavier), but I used to blow out trailer tires on the boat trailer all the time, too. Once I switched to car tires, I would go 8+ years between replacements.

That said, I have put about 1,000 miles without incident on my new Carlisles.
(*deleted because I can sometimes be a Dufus*) Running P rated tires on your camper is very dangerous (several threads here on why that is). The advantages of running ST tires vs LT tires is a hotly debated topic here and I won't add to that in this thread. (My money is on ST tires - I use Goodyear Marathons).

Hauling a camper is MUCH different than a boat trailer. You spend a lot of time in hard turns at max gross weight that twist the sidewalls backing into sites for one. ST tires are designed for that abuse, car tires are not.

I don't have time at the moment to research the site for those posts on P tires, perhaps one of the other members will help you out by looking it up for you.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-17247.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
...I ran p-metric tires on my 23 foot boat trailer...
Herk,

I have learned a great deal over the last few months from your posts and the discussions you have participated in on this board and I really appreciate your contributions. I know your heart is in the right place. But, I must say you should read posts more carefully before responding.

I ran p-metric on my boat trailer, not my travel trailer. P-metric on a camper is a terrible idea, but mostly because of load ratings and sway...not because of twisting turns, etc. I could give you all kinds of anecdotal "evidence" from 20 years of experience with running p-metric tires on my double-axle boat trailer including backing it in and out of state park camp sites two or three times nearly every summer weekend while running at 85% of stated tire weight capacity.

In 9 months of camper ownership I have had 2 catastrophic (tread separating, steel belt shredding) tire failures of 3 year-old (per the DOT code) Goodyear Marathons. That is exactly 2 more catastrophic failures than I experienced in the 16 years that I ran p-metric tires on my boat trailer (and I didn't replace them until they were 8 years old and worn out). One of the Goodyear failures happened at 3 mph (yes, 3, not 30 or 300...it was a school zone). The other happened while sitting in my camp site. Both times, the air pressure had been checked that day (50 psi). In one case, I had driven about 8 miles at no more than 40 mph, and in the other case, the trailer had not moved that day.

I replaced all 4 tires with the Carlisle Radial Trail RH because that was all Discount Tire had in stock that would meet the load requirements for my trailer while still fitting in the wheel well.

My subsequent research of Carlisle tires has left me with little confidence in trailer tires as a whole. I will replace these tires in 2 years with a 185r14 D-load rated "van" tire. It is about 1/4 inch smaller in diameter than my current tires, has a higher load rating, and has a 106 mph speed rating (not that I intend to achieve such a velocity). They are marketed for use primarily on vans such as VW camper vans and those Dodge Sprinter type vans...both very heavy vehicles built to carry a heavy load with small tires...but are also marketed as trailer tires. My opinion is that if those tires failed as often as ST tires, there would be a lot of dead people filing law suits.

OP, I have put about 1,000 miles on my Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires without incident. I will put another 1,000 miles on them this weekend. I will not buy them again, but that is based on my experience with ST tires in general--not these specific tires.
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS (broken and TOTALED)
2008 Surveyor SV-234 (SOLD, but not forgotten)
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herk,

I have learned a great deal over the last few months from your posts and the discussions you have participated in on this board and I really appreciate your contributions. I know your heart is in the right place. But, I must say you should read posts more carefully before responding.
Sorry, it has been a long day. I am still picking FLAK out of my butt from the Admin Help thread. I totally apologise. With you permission I will remove my idiotic beginning statement from my post.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Current River Rat

Just looked at this thread. You may want to check out Maxim brand tires. (I think I spelled it right) A little harder to find but the other rv forums out there have had very good reviews on this brand. I bought 2 Hercules brand tires for spares on my TT, which I just sold, and they looked good???? Whatever that means. Hercules makes a lot of truck tires I believe. Waiting on my new FR Grey Wolf to be delivered. I'm not too impressed with the tires they come with. May change them out early. Safe travels.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Current River Rat

Correction. Typing without glasses. The brand is Maxxis. Duh!!