Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #181
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadNomad View Post
Thank You 5picker, that's the info I was looking for but not able to find, even at 65psi (which now that I know it is safe) the weight rating equal to those of the Castle Pops. I can run them at lower 65 or 70psi which should add to the life of the tire!
You are welcome!

Obviously, some common sense needs to be used too with that chart as I surely wouldn't run any tire at 25-30 PSI even if that is the pressure recommended for such a light rated load.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #182

Discount Tire put Endurance tires on my Windjammer's LionsHead Bobcat wheels this morning and didn't mention weight capacity or PSI. They did replace the valve stems with metal ones, and inflated them to 80 PSI.

These tires seem to be much higher quality than the CastleRocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846A.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	169142  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #183

They're made in China by Lion Head trailer tires,my first set I have n yes I heard bad but like any other manufacting they make 1 million tires a year there always going to be a bad 1.
Matt sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #184
Commercial Member

Quote:
I don't believe I said that in my posts, Goodyear did say the psi is directly related to the load rating of the tire. I have read your blogs that mention a number of things but what I didn't see is replacing a tire of the same size with a higher load rating and pressure.

So back to my original question: Replaced the original Castle Rock ST225/75R15 load range D @max 65psi with same size Goodyear load range E, @max 80psi. Wheels rated at 2150 max weight. NO CHANGE IN WEIGHT, What would be the best pressure to run in the tires based on the parameters given? Obviously safety and longevity are the major concern. Thanks
The two posts covered examples as there are an infinite number of possible combinations.

But to cover your specific change
If you have confirmed youractual load on the tires your minimum infaltion should be what is needed to support your measured load. Now it is also desirable to have some margin to allow for wind sideload, road slant etc. I cover "Interply Shear" in my blog which is the technoical reason many tires fail with belt separations. You can lower this force by increasing the tire inflation. That said I would run at least 65 and maybe even 70 would be better.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #185

Quote:
I recently replaced the tires on my 23FBDS from the Castle pop ST225/75R15 to the same size in a Goodyear endurance. Doing so (hopefully) has given me a better tire with a load range of E though I will not be changing the loading of my trailer. Here's the rub, when I went to Costco to have them mounted they really didn't want to do the work. Reason given, the Lionshead alloy wheels are rated at 2150lbs and the tires 2800lbs at 80psi.
There excuse it that the lower rated wheel could explode at 80psi where the old tires max was 65psi. After some talking back and forth I said I don't need the extra weight capacity so how about mounting them and filling them to 65psi. They did so but here's the question, is this really ok or am I actually running the tires under inflated possibly causing a problem down the road? As I said no weight changes are to be made and the tires are filled with nitrogen. Should I leave them at 65psi? PS multipls calls to Lionshead are never returned so they are useless (not surprised)
Calling Lionshead is hit or miss but if you take the time to email them you will definitely get a response within one business day. We live in an age of litigation so it’s getting hard to get verbal responses. Large companies want a paper trail.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #186

I emailed LionsHead using the form on their website and asked what the PSI rating is for my wheels (Bobcat). Here is their response:

"The wheels do not have a PSI rating, they have a load carrying capacity. The valve stem in the wheel would have a PSI rating, if you are looking to upgrade to a tire with a higher PSI rating, you would need to be sure that the valve stem is also replaced with a valve stem that meets the requirements of the higher PSI of the tire upgrade."

That works for me. When they replaced my Castle Rocks with Endurance they installed new metal valve stems.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #187

Goodyear Endurance, Great tires and worth the upgrade

In my previous posts I ran into some issues mostly from a lack of knowledge by both myself and other who are suppose to be professionals in the business. Some of them were spot on, other not so much. So, after a number of posts and responses as well as road trials here is my final thoughts on the subject:

I just got back from a 2k trip and here are my findings with the new Endurances, but first lets clear up all the questions. My platform, 2017 Forest River 23FBDS rated at approx 8k loaded. Factory tire is a Castle Rock ST225/75R15 max load at 65ps. No changes to weight, just a tire upgrade.

1. My replacement tires are Goodyear Endurance tires are rated much higher for weight capacity (2800 at 80psi) but your wheels, axles and brakes are not, so if you are looking to upgrade your weight capacity you need to consider these other important items.

2. Lionshead wheels, mine were stamped inside with a weight rating per wheel. In my case 15 inch aluminum cast wheels with 2150 indicated. According to the manufacture this is the safe weight limit of the rim assembly. When I went to have the new tires installed Costco did not want to fill the Endurances to 80psi because they feared the rims could not handle the pressure. This is a partially true statement, yes the original rubber valve stem is not rated for 80 psi but is easily replaced with a metal assembly and a good idea anyway especially when using TPMS. No the rim will not explode from the pressure BUT the hub CAN fail if you exceed the weight ratings stamped on the wheels. Styled Cast wheels (what some of us have) do not generally have the weight carrying capacity of forged wheels which generally are better quality and more expensive. Steel wagon style wheels are a completely different animal.

3. Tire pressures and rated loads: (5picker posted a great chart above by Goodyear on this) Setting your tire pressure by the load placed on them is a good place to start followed with a road test. In my case My Castle Pops were originally inflated to 65psi, my loads per wheel were under 2000k so I started with 65.

Based on recommendation by Tireman9 I upped the pressure to 70psi for "that added margin". (See his posts for additional info) I also used Nitrogen for the fill. I also purchased a small nitrogen tank and regulator to be able to top them off and keep the Nitrogen fill pure. (this is probably overkill as I could just stop by Costco)

Results: I am very pleased with the Goodyear Endurance tires and wish I would have just bit the bullet and replaced the Castle Pops from the start. The new Goodyears only rose a minimum amount after 400 miles of road travel (in Arizona) and less in comparison to the Castles.

Performance: So far IMO the Goodyears track better, seem smoother and wind does not seem to affect the trailer as much as it did before. I also notice road imperfections do not affect the trailer as much. Note: this is a route I have done a few times before with the old tires so it was a good comparison. I do have one questionable comment about the Goodyears is that they took a good deal of weight to balance them, but to be fair is could also be the Lionhead wheels. Again, they were smooth as glass.

On my return trip I stopped to help out a fellow Flagstaff owner who had just experienced a blow out on his 2017 5th wheel. (Castle Pop strikes again) The tread separated and it stripped the fender flair when it decided to let go from the tire. Other then a shaken up owner this was the extent of the damage. He had a TPMS and noticed nothing abnormal, he said "It just let go" then the trailer went nuts.

So to sum it up I never thought tires could be so complicate or so important on a trailer. Seriously, if you have questionable tires ask yourself the question, is it worth the $500.00 to roll the dice for both you and your family, your vacation, your time, aggravation and possible damage to your rig, for me that question is easy once I became educated, NO!

I am sure we will see posts like "I have 20k on my Castles and they are perfectly fine", and that's great! If your happy with your Castle Rocks and have had great results fantastic, I wish you the absolute best and continued success.

Thanks to all that offered information on this subject. My post is not intended to sell Goodyear tires or scare anyone, for all of us, camping should be fun enjoyable and safe. I raise my glass to that!
RoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #188
Commercial Member

Quote:
In my previous posts I ran into some issues mostly from a lack of knowledge by both myself and other who are suppose to be professionals in the business. Some of them were spot on, other not so much. So, after a number of posts and responses as well as road trials here is my final thoughts on the subject:

snip

snip

On my return trip I stopped to help out a fellow Flagstaff owner who had just experienced a blow out on his 2017 5th wheel. (Castle Pop strikes again) The tread separated and it stripped the fender flair when it decided to let go from the tire. Other then a shaken up owner this was the extent of the damage. He had a TPMS and noticed nothing abnormal, he said "It just let go" then the trailer went nuts.

So to sum it up I never thought tires could be so complicate or so important on a trailer. Seriously, isnip

!
RE TPMS and warnings.

TPMS should provide warning of air loss. Different brands offer different psi and time response and you may want to confirm your sensors at least once a year by having someone sit at driver seat asdslowely unscrew each sensor one at a time to see how long it takes to get a warning. Do this when you have access to air so you can re-inflate the few psi you loose doing your test.

TPMS will NOT warn of belt separations and this type of failure will probably not generate enough heat to raise the temperature of the tire to the warning range.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #189

My recent Castle Rock saga -

2017 5th wheel, less than 6k miles on the castle rocks. Had a blowout which tore up the skirt and underside of my camper, along with breaking an electrical wire and possibly damaging the propane hose.

Inflated to proper pressure (80 psi). Had tpms active and was traveling under the speed rating of the tires.

Replaced with Goodyears. During replacement we found a 2nd castle rock which was separating.

I wonder if it's worth filing an NTSB report?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post

2017 5th wheel, less than 6k miles on the castle rocks. Had a blowout which tore up the skirt and underside of my camper, along with breaking an electrical wire and possibly damaging the propane hose.

Inflated to proper pressure (80 psi). Had tpms active and was traveling under the speed rating of the tires.

Replaced with Goodyears. During replacement we found a 2nd castle rock which was separating.

When in doubt, file!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #191

Quote:

Hey Deuce.... Where have you been?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #192

Taking it easy right now. Going out next month to Harper's Ferry and Gettysburg after. Have a NJ Run For The Fallen the end of the month. I drive one of the support vehicles.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #193

Castle Rock Tire Blowout

Sure file the NTSB report. That's a really simple process. More important that you file a warranty claim with Lions Head, the company that markets Castle Pop tires. Claim forms and info at Warranty

They'll pay $100 per tire. I had no trouble at all with the warranty claim. Don't know if my casual mention of the NTSB report had anything to do with that.
captinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #194

Castle Rock tires appear to be made by Lionshead, which appears to be an American company "with facilities located in Goshen, Indiana, Mountain Home, Idaho, Waxahachie, Texas, and Denton North Carolina," according to their website. Simple Google search.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #195

Quote:
Castle Rock tires appear to be made by Lionshead
I could be wrong but I believe Lionshead combines various rims with tires to make wheels all coming from off-sfore and fills orders for FR and others...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #196

Quote:

It is definitely worth it.

That's the only way that the NTSB will know when there is a problem with a product. They don't read forums like this.

If you have a tire failure with any brand by all means ask for a warranty "adjustment" and if it was a sudden failure (not just a case of running the tire under-inflated, overloaded, or at too high a speed) file a complaint. Just buying a replacement and going off to stew over the bad experience doesn't help get the crappy product from coming to market. Enough complaints trigger an investigation. An investigation looks into the manufacturer's warranty claim information. If neither happens ----- you get the picture.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #197
Just A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I could be wrong but I believe Lionshead combines various rims with tires to make wheels all coming from off-sfore and fills orders for FR and others...
You could be right and you are. Everything they handle is garbage. The way they treat a customer is shameful.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeling View Post
You could be right and you are. Everything they handle is garbage. The way they treat a customer is shameful.

All the more reason for those who've had Castle Rock tire failures to file a complaint with NHTSA.

Get enough and the importer will be forced to recall tires. Wouldn't be first time a distributor has had to recall faulty Chinese tires.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #199
Commercial Member

Quote:

If you had a failure but the TPMS did not issue a warning then it was a Belt Separation not a sidewall flex failure. you might want to review THIS post.

NTSB is the agency for common carrier (Trains, Buses and Planes) not for safety issues with personal vehicles. I have a number of blog posts on filing complaints. Yes tou should file a complaint with NHTSA. You will need to include the tire DOT serial, which you should have in your "Important Information" file. You will also need the VIN of the RV. Be sure to capture some well lit (full sun is good) in focus close (within 2') pictures of the tire. You may need a few shots to capture the complete tire. Let NHTSA know you have pictures.

If you have a truck stop weight slip includt the numbers and date info. Also let them know you were running a TPMS. ALL this info improves the chances that they will take your complaint more seriously. Include a statement of the total cost of tire replacement and damage.

If people do not make the effort to file a complaint for every failure (one per tire) the numbers will never get high enough for NHTSA to start an investigation. No investigation means no possible finding of non-compliant tires and no finding means no recall.

It is the recall that costs the companies enough money that they start to pay attention and make the changes needed to improve the quality of products.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #200
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Castle Rock tires appear to be made by Lionshead, which appears to be an American company "with facilities located in Goshen, Indiana, Mountain Home, Idaho, Waxahachie, Texas, and Denton North Carolina," according to their website. Simple Google search.

If you want to know where any tire is made simply check the first two characters of the DOT serial HERE.

I never heard of any tire manufacturing plant in Goshen, Mountain Home, Waxahachie, or Dento.

Tags
tire, tires, trailer