Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #41

Should be Shyster tires

Very sad to read all this. I was going to give them a break, but, not when I can't find replacement anywhere. Best to have something that can be found at least in my own state!

Discount Tire here I come.

Just pulled mine home (about 29 miles) and they look like the delivery wore the center on all four on the ground. Checking the bottom of trailer, all four on the ground look like they are only sitting on the outside of each tread (concave shape just looking).

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #42

Castle Rock by Lions Head tire & wheel

Visited Discount Tire store close by with my spare today. All 5 of my new and shiny tires have a concave tread that the staff noticed at the store. Most tires have a flat tire contact patch until they tread separate (or over inflated). Two sets of Goodyeats I've had were flat tread surface until they began to get old and eventually started tread separation. The last china bombs I had did the same thing. These are weird.

Pricing replacements led to the question of load range E tires on a load range C wheel/rim. I was told that the wheels rated at 2150 pounds that came factory would be fine with load range E tires at 80 psi. It took several phone calls to some gooroos who deduced this.

Bottom line was that the rims beads are all alike and the weight rating of the rim was only how much the rim would "carry" as opposed to the pressure on the bead.

THOUGHTS?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
Visited Discount Tire store close by with my spare today. All 5 of my new and shiny tires have a concave tread that the staff noticed at the store. Most tires have a flat tire contact patch until they tread separate (or over inflated). Two sets of Goodyeats I've had were flat tread surface until they began to get old and eventually started tread separation. The last china bombs I had did the same thing. These are weird.

Pricing replacements led to the question of load range E tires on a load range C wheel/rim. I was told that the wheels rated at 2150 pounds that came factory would be fine with load range E tires at 80 psi. It took several phone calls to some gooroos who deduced this.

Bottom line was that the rims beads are all alike and the weight rating of the rim was only how much the rim would "carry" as opposed to the pressure on the bead.

THOUGHTS?

Generally, a concave patern on the tires is an indicator of low tire pressure. Too much on the center of the tire would indicate too high of pressure. I don't know your tires, loads, pressure settings, etc., so I'm offering what restricted knowlege and much experience I have dealing with pressures.
I assume you are inflating them to max pressure while cold. It's what you do.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #44

Concave observed today

Saw one of "todays large cars" with concave right rear tread. I agree on the under inflation thought, but, found all four of mine were only at 61 or there'bouts. Pumped to 65 and they looked the same.

Bump in my road now is DW has a full blown T12 vertebra and is currently in a brace waiting surgery approval due to pacemaker. Bottom line will be approx. a year or more sort of restricted.

Since the awning is malfunctioning, it'll go back to dealer for that after I had the self adjusting crud removed from all four wheels due to their malfunction. Dealer sent me to an outside wheel/axle place that I am very familiar with and they also noticed tread looked "underinflated". Now I have brakes that won't set themselves on fire after only 100 miles.

Might even have dealer put it up For Sale if I don't have a Copilot!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #45

Castle Rock Radial Tire

The homepage for Castle Rock Tires with Dealer information.
cabin270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #46

It's still parked

Cause of my copilots back trouble turned out to be "non-secretory multiple myeloma" (aka bone marrow cancer not detectable).

It has been a very bad winter and spring. Summer here now and have only begun the fight to control this. She is just now home from recovering from kidney failure caused by cancer treatment. Surgery is out of the question until solid bone can be grown. Lots of bone damage in central spine area and even her skull shows the common areas of this nasty desease.

Maybe someday! Now, we just make payments until we can use trailer for me to live in while surgery done in Houston.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #47

Castle Rock brand trailer tires?

Found their website and this 'about us' information:

http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/about-us

Note that it says they have 325,000 square feet of 'industrial' space in four different locations in the U.S.
They have 6 brands of tires, one of which is Castle Rock along with three other no name brands, plus Michelin and Goodyear. My belief is that the 4 no name brands are private label manufacture tires from overseas, most likely "cringe" China, and the 325,000 square feet of 'industrial' space is a group of warehouse/distribution centers. The site is worded in such a way that you feel as if they manufacture tires, but there is no specific mention of actual tire manufacturing taking place at their 'industrial' facilities.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #48

Just had a complete blowout tire failure when driving back from the mountains on these awesome Castle Rock tires.

Tire pressure were checked prior to trip as always, straight part of road, no punctures, nothing!

If that had been on a corner or we were fully loaded down we could have lost a lot more.

So, I'm going to replace all four tires, submit a claim with Forest River (I'm sure they will deny it) and wait for the class action suit!

What a stupid, irresponsible, insane way to save a few dollars! On a life or death safety item. Way to go Forest River!
COcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #49

Tire code & place of manufacture

Wnt to find out the place of manufacture of your tires?

Go to https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/

On the right side of the screen choose tires for equipment type.

Enter the first two characters of the DOT number on the sidewall and click the search button. This will give you the manufacturer name, plant name and plant location.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #50

Castle Rock Radial Tires

MANUFACTURER PLANT
CODE CITY STATE COUNTRY

HANGZHOU ZHONGCE RUBBER CO., LTD. JU HANGZHOU ZHEJIANG CHINA

http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Castle-Rock-Radial

This is what I found for Castle Rock Trailer Tires. Mine are ST series, Load Rating D.
Toolman_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoody View Post
Wnt to find out the place of manufacture of your tires?

Go to https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/

On the right side of the screen choose tires for equipment type.

Enter the first two characters of the DOT number on the sidewall and click the search button. This will give you the manufacturer name, plant name and plant location.
Or;................ All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes
Old 10-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #52

the manufacturer for Castle Rock is JUHANGZHOU ZHONGCE RUBBER CO., LTD.HANGZHOU ZHEJIANG CHINA. The tires shoulld come with a warranty, though.
Also, WholesaleWarranties dot om is a wholesale broker that specializes in Extended RV Warranties. If you mention rvreviews dotnet they give you a $50. discount.
They have a tire package rider that's $495 for 7 years.

We are negotiating to buy a 2017 FR Ultrlight 2906ws and it has those Castle Rock tires, too. They were made July 2016. I'm wondering if they've been on the TT that long, just sitting in the sun????.
Judygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #53

I keep mine well armour-all'd with a good UV protestant and I will replace them at 4 years, regardless of wear.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #54

My new 2016 Heritage Glen 276RLIS 5'er came with Castle Rock tires. Just returned from 2nd trip. About 200 miles total on the rig, which is 3 weeks old now. Front port-side tire is coming apart. Front starboard tire is suspect, as its tread seems to be widening.
Getting tire changed tomorrow, then headed to Goodyear for a full set of G614RST tires.
Question: How do I determine whether or not I need stronger rims? The GY tires inflate to 110 lbs.
Tampangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #55

Take this for what it's worth, but I contacted Lions Head Tire and Wheel and asked them the same thing, My Toy Hauler has the 16" 8 lugs rims and they informed me that they would support an 110psi tire if I made sure they had installed metal valve stems.
I have searched to no avail on the inside and outside of the rims to see if a psi statement was stamped on them and can find none.
Not sure if that helps you but that is what I found out.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #56

Dang! We just passed 1000 miles on our tires and they still look like new. I'll be watching them closest though, for signs of premature failure just in case.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #57

I have a couple thousand on mine. Always check them before each trip and inflate to the max. Tires scare me as it seems we are always reading about blowouts and damage.
best advise is use a tire pressure system and I also have one of the temperature guns I use when we take a break.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #58

I read about a lot of blow outs on trailers. Every time I go any where I'm always passed by someone with a trailer and I'm doing the limit or 5 over.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #59
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampangler View Post
My new 2016 Heritage Glen 276RLIS 5'er came with Castle Rock tires. Just returned from 2nd trip. About 200 miles total on the rig, which is 3 weeks old now. Front port-side tire is coming apart. Front starboard tire is suspect, as its tread seems to be widening.
Getting tire changed tomorrow, then headed to Goodyear for a full set of G614RST tires.
Question: How do I determine whether or not I need stronger rims? The GY tires inflate to 110 lbs.
Be sure to collect the full DOT S/N from each tire and get pictures of the failure (at 2' away not 10' away). Then file complaint with NHTSA. Your dealer should offer some compensation on the failed tires. If not then include the dealer's name with the complaint to NHTSA.

Complaint should be filed with NHTSA as I have low expectation that a competitor dealer will make the effort.

What is the load rating of your rims and what size tires came OE on the rims?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #60
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
I have a couple thousand on mine. Always check them before each trip and inflate to the max. Tires scare me as it seems we are always reading about blowouts and damage.
best advise is use a tire pressure system and I also have one of the temperature guns I use when we take a break.
Good for you running TPMS.
I wouldn't be too concerned about using the IR temp gun on the tires as the readings really are not sufficiently accurate (not measuring the hot spot) to be meaningful for tire performance while pressure is a much better indicator.

Running tire sidewall max on trailer application, bolt in metal valves and TPMS along with close inspection is the best combination of almost completely eliminating the surprise of tire failure.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer