Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #1

Castle Rock ST225/75R15 D Replacement

Hello all,

Purely for reasons of safety and precaution - I'm seriously considering replacing the tires that came with our camper when we purchased in March. These tires have about 1100 miles on them, and from what I know have been pretty well taken care of. The right tire did roll a curb coming out of our subdivision a month or so ago, when I was in a hurry and not paying attention, but other than that, no leaks, etc.

I've read enough about tire failures and blowouts to freak me out, and with our camper being single axle, I figure buying a higher quality tire now seems like a cheap investment that could prevent a really bad situation later.

I've looked online this afternoon before I stop by a tire shop in town tomorrow and I see many people talking about the Goodyear Marathon ~ 115 bucks a tire. Can anyone weigh in here with some experience.

I'm not sure what the rules are around recommendations, but I'm not against hearing peoples opinions if that sort of thing is allowed.

The camper is a Cherokee Wolfpup 18TO
Gross Weight - 5000 Pounds (5000 pound single axle)
Hitch Weight - 437 Pounds
Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Scoundrel

First thing I did when I got my TT in February is switch to Carlisle Tires and to a higher load range as the load range with the stock tires would have been over their limit with the camper loaded. Check the load range on the sidewall of your existing tires. In general, many here are replacing their existing tires with Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle tires & there's a ton of information on existing threads if you search this site.

Good move taking care of this before something happens. Good Luck.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Goodyear Marathons are also China bombs.
Many here are now buying the new Goodyear Endurance tires with good reports. (USA made)
The other go to tire is the Maxxis M8008's. (Thailand made)
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Angry Beware of Castle Rock Tires

Recently I experienced a blowout of a Castle Rock ST225/75R15 tire. The tire was factory installed on my 2016 Forest River Cherokee Limited. It's DOT stamp was (1515), very low miles, correct pressure, less than Max Load, and under recommend speed. It was installed at the rear drivers side, and fortunately I only sustained minor damage to wheel well. I have filed out a damage claim with LionsHead, but I have doubts of a positive response.
The following weekend I had four new Goodyear Endurance tires installed.
If you have Castle Rock Tires installed, I HIGHLY recommend replacing ASAP!!
Brat Terrier RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Our Cherokee 274dbh is at the tire shop today, getting a new set of Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. We too, have Castle Rock tires that make us nervous. DH checks the pressure and temps regularly when traveling. The tires look fine, except for always appearing to be under inflated (they aren't). They also have less than 1,000 miles on them, and it seems like a colossal waste of money and product to replace them already. But, the idea of a blown tire is disturbing enough that we are plunking the $$ down in an effort to be proactive. In addition to the safety of our family, we figure the insurance deductible to pay for any damage would cost more than the new tires.

Add "better tires" to the list of 1000 things we all wish RV manufacturers would change, and would gladly pay more for.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

Normally at replacement time an increase in load capacity is a good option. Your tire size is built by many manufacturers with a LRE. All you have to do is insure your wheels will support the 80 PSI requirement to step up to the LRE.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Our Cherokee 274dbh is at the tire shop today, getting a new set of Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. We too, have Castle Rock tires that make us nervous. DH checks the pressure and temps regularly when traveling. The tires look fine, except for always appearing to be under inflated (they aren't). They also have less than 1,000 miles on them, and it seems like a colossal waste of money and product to replace them already. But, the idea of a blown tire is disturbing enough that we are plunking the $$ down in an effort to be proactive. In addition to the safety of our family, we figure the insurance deductible to pay for any damage would cost more than the new tires.

Add "better tires" to the list of 1000 things we all wish RV manufacturers would change, and would gladly pay more for.
Agreed, I'm on the phone as we speak with a local shop to replace them prior to leaving on our next adventure Friday morning. Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Good deal for the Carlisle fans....
4 NEW 225/75-15 CARLISLE SUPER TRAIL 75R R15 TIRES 26157 | eBay
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #9

I actually just had a local tire shop order me some E Range Carlisle's that will go on tomorrow. I feel so much better and they're not even on the camper yet...

Tags
replacement