Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #21

I have no problem with my new Castle Rocks ... they are gone Hello Goodyear Endurance ... and for the record after physical exam of the tires side by side there is a difference.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
I have no problem with my new Castle Rocks ... they are gone Hello Goodyear Endurance ... and for the record after physical exam of the tires side by side there is a difference.
As they should. The Endurance have extra sidewall material for their protection against scuffs.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #23

The Castlerock ST225 did some damage to our 8327SS!

We were driving home from camping above Truckee CA on 80 and someone driving by told us something in the back was flapping around. So we pulled off the road and took a look. It was a mess. The tread came off the back passenger side tire. The tire still had perfect air pressure! But no tread! And the tread was wrapped up in the wheel-well and it tore the side umbilical wire cage out and the rubber arm that is under the slide is what was flapping around. It shredded the brake wire so we had no brakes on that side. It was a mess. I am trying to post pictures. If you have these tires... take them off. If you can! LOL they were on there! We had to have it towed to a place to fix the brakes - so it's still in South Shore. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. We are filling a tire warranty complaint and we will be taking it to the dealer to see what they say & get it repaired.

Jamie and Troy Quigley
2018 Rockwood 8327SS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fromtherear.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	215166   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	215167   Click image for larger version

Name:	rigpic.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	215168  
KWIGGCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIGGCAMP View Post
We were driving home from camping above Truckee CA on 80 and someone driving by told us something in the back was flapping around. So we pulled off the road and took a look. It was a mess. The tread came off the back passenger side tire. The tire still had perfect air pressure! But no tread! And the tread was wrapped up in the wheel-well and it tore the side umbilical wire cage out and the rubber arm that is under the slide is what was flapping around. It shredded the brake wire so we had no brakes on that side. It was a mess. I am trying to post pictures. If you have these tires... take them off. If you can! LOL they were on there! We had to have it towed to a place to fix the brakes - so it's still in South Shore. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. We are filling a tire warranty complaint and we will be taking it to the dealer to see what they say & get it repaired.

Jamie and Troy Quigley
2018 Rockwood 8327SS
This is not to pick on you. It's just about finger pointing. You seem to have fallen prey to the bait, "it's a bad tire".

There are four major causes for a failure as shown in your picture. Excess speed, under inflation, overloaded. All or any one of those factors can cause such a failure. And, in the end, just maybe a manufacturing failure.

The proof is in what's left of the tire and an expert can pinpoint it.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
As they should. The Endurance have extra sidewall material for their protection against scuffs.
Why is the load range different if it is all scuff protection?

For a 205 75R 14 size My Castle Rock tires were Load Range C with a maximum capacity of 1760 lb. My Goodyear Endurance tires are load range D and have a maximum capacity of 2040 lbs. I prefer the extra margin of safety. Handling both tires, the differences are clearly in favor with the Endurance.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #26

Well are you a tire expert because I have some pictures for you. We have the tire and the tread. We were not speeding (there was a ton of traffic and it was slow & we were going up Donner pass &
Cops were everywhere) we were coming home from only a weekend of camping, the trailer was empty & we’re pulling it with enough towing capacity. This isn’t our first rodeo. As I’ve had this problem & reading these posts, a lot of people of had problems with this brand of tire. I’d take blame if I thought this was our failure. The only thing I know I did wrong was change those tires when I bought It.��
KWIGGCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
Why is the load range different if it is all scuff protection?

For a 205 75R 14 size My Castle Rock tires were Load Range C with a maximum capacity of 1760 lb. My Goodyear Endurance tires are load range D and have a maximum capacity of 2040 lbs. I prefer the extra margin of safety. Handling both tires, the differences are clearly in favor with the Endurance.
ST tires are load range rated tires. You went from a LRC to a LRD. The tire size designation does not change with the addition or subtraction of a load range. However, the internal construction is modified for each load range and the modifications are standardized and made official by the tire and rim association (TRA).

LRC = 50 PSI
LRD = 65 PSI
LRE = 80 PSI
LRF = 95 PSI
LRG = 110 PSI

Each load range allows for an increase in cold PSI settings to gain the extra load capacity from the load range increase.

Some designated tire sizes may have a single load range. Others may have 2/3. One of the most popular designated size ST tire is the ST225/75R15. It has C,D,E & F load ranges. The F is steel cased.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Well are you a tire expert because I have some pictures for you. We have the tire and the tread. We were not speeding (there was a ton of traffic and it was slow & we were going up Donner pass &
Cops were everywhere) we were coming home from only a weekend of camping, the trailer was empty & we’re pulling it with enough towing capacity. This isn’t our first rodeo. As I’ve had this problem & reading these posts, a lot of people of had problems with this brand of tire. I’d take blame if I thought this was our failure. The only thing I know I did wrong was change those tires when I bought It.��
Tire damages are cumulative. When they get to a point where they can no longer support the load they are carrying they may start showing symptoms of tread separation, they may show growth or just plain old sudden failure.

Trailers are notorious for having single wheel overload, complete axle overload or right or left side overload but still be within the GVWR limit. Only a good set of scales know for sure.

When full timing, we were constantly on the move. We scaled our rig at least 3 times a year and whenever we took on extra weight. If we couldn't balance the extra load we would ship the extras to our son who would put them in our storage unit.

Here is a picture of two tires off the same axel. One is in full tread separation and the other is not.

DSCN0114_1_1 - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjackSH View Post
Folks- all that have experienced that horrible tread blowout that happens with these tires, please contact nhtsa and file a complaint. They need just a few more for a recall investigation. Lion head is the main company, tire line is castlerock.
We had one blow out on the fl turnpike at 55 mph, and another while just sitting still on the rv pad. Unbelievable. Dont think they will stand behind them either, have filed a warranty claim but i doubt they comply. Busted our fender skirting on both sides.
There is a 3rd tire that you can tell by lookig at tread is ready to pop. Right side tread is getting wider. Holy cow this is dangerous.

You can file a complaint with NHTSA for EACH tire that showesa condition.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #30

The exact same thing happen to the castlerock tires on my RV, I will send in a report to NHTSA. Thanks
cajunmansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #31

Castlerock tires are just plan DANGEROUS

I’m thinking if you get more than a couple thousand miles out of a Castlerock tire you are very very lucky. When my trailer was only a-year-old having put less than 1000 miles on my brand new tires I had a blowout on one. I am a stickler for making sure the nitrogen pressure was it 65, I never drove over 55 miles an hour and I always took my trailer to the scales to verify all the weights. If anybody says these tires are not dangerous, they’re kidding themselves. I turned the tire in for warranty and they did honor it just to give me another China bomb tire. Needless to say I threw all those away and put Goodyear endurance on and hopefully will have much better success.
jjcooler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjackSH View Post
Folks- all that have experienced that horrible tread blowout that happens with these tires, please contact nhtsa and file a complaint. They need just a few more for a recall investigation. Lion head is the main company, tire line is castlerock.
We had one blow out on the fl turnpike at 55 mph, and another while just sitting still on the rv pad. Unbelievable. Dont think they will stand behind them either, have filed a warranty claim but i doubt they comply. Busted our fender skirting on both sides.
There is a 3rd tire that you can tell by lookig at tread is ready to pop. Right side tread is getting wider. Holy cow this is dangerous.

I'm not waiting for any of mine to blowout. The cost and inconvenience of a blowout while traveling around Florida this winter just isn't worth it. Picked up 4 Goodyear Endurance ST215/75R14 108D tires at Walmart.com for $400.00 plus tax and will have them mounted and balanced with Road Hazard Protection the morning after they show up. I'll keep the Castlerock spare that came with the trailer until it's 5 years old but it will only be on the trailer while Walmart gets me a replacement tire if needed. I can also repack the bearings and check the brakes out at the same time.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #33

Almost every early tire failure is from poor quality/design. He tires that fail like that from overloading, speeding, underinflation are normally at 5 years old. Anyone that has told me about their tire failures has no idea how old their tires were. One guy had the original tires at 10 years old!!! Couldn't understand why a tire failed because they still had plenty of tread.

The original cheap tires on my trailer failed at 500miles. No blow out, just found a shifted belt when I wasn't chocking a tire. Found another when I got home. And they were fully inflated and driven in cool weather. I replaced with quality tires and nevertheless had a failure of any kind after that.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #34

Finally got my castle rock story. 7.3 mile from Lakewood CG in Myrtle Beach. No warning, going 35-40 mph. Definitely not overloaded. Nothing but clothes for a long weekend in the trailer. Tpms showed pressure at 55 psi temp around 95 degrees. Felt and heard a pop. Luckily I was at a side road and could pull off instantly. No damages to the trailer. Tire mfg date was 4716. Got it replaced with an endurance and once we get home the others will be replaced. I'm a stickler about pressure, weight, and loading but I cannot find any reason that would cause it to let go. I level with 2x8s so no sharp edges and never hit a curb to my knowledge lol!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0715.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	215401  
Bwood BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
This is not to pick on you. It's just about finger pointing. You seem to have fallen prey to the bait, "it's a bad tire".

There are four major causes for a failure as shown in your picture. Excess speed, under inflation, overloaded. All or any one of those factors can cause such a failure. And, in the end, just maybe a manufacturing failure.

The proof is in what's left of the tire and an expert can pinpoint it.
I am NO expert, but you forgot impact damage.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #36

Castle Rock Tire Experience

I have a 2018 24' Forest River Cruise Lite purchased in June of 2018 and it hasw about 2000 miles on it. It came with these Castle Rock tires. I have TPMS for the TT so I keep tabs on the pressures and temps. The tires are inflated to 65 psi and I am well within the recommended loads for both the TT and the tow vehicle, at least according to the scales at the Pilot down the street. On September 3, 2019, while evacuating the Charleston, SC area for hurricane Dorian, I had a blow out of one of these tires. I was traveling westbound on the eastbound side of I-26 because of the Governor ordered lane reversal on the way to Lake Greenwood State Park, which is really nice. Traveling on the wrong side of the interstate was an interesting experience itself. I received no low pressure warning from the TPMS and all I felt was a sudden poof and some vibration. I was lucky enough to get over to the side quickly so I had no damage to the TT or the rim, just the tire. I changed the tire and put on the spare, another Castle Rock, and went on my merry way. The next day I found a local tire store that had some Carlisles in stock and replaced the blown tire. The store owner said the blowout was tread separation. I am going to submit this to the NHTSA at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm and see what happens.I think it is time to change the rest of the tires to either the Goodyear Endurance or the Carlisles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Castle Rock Blow Out2 Sep 3 2019.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	215416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Rock Blow Out1 Sep 3 2019.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	215417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Rock Blow Out4 Sep 3 2019.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	215418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Castle Rock Blow Out5 Sep 3 2019.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	215419  
wpstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Got 2 years on my ROCKS and no issues at all.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #38

Maybe w/ all these failures this explains why my MiniLite came w/ load range 'D' tires instead of the 'C' ones. Still Castle Rocks though. On my list of things to swap out in a reasonable time.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Maybe w/ all these failures this explains why my MiniLite came w/ load range 'D' tires instead of the 'C' ones. Still Castle Rocks though. On my list of things to swap out in a reasonable time.
Kinda.... The NTSWBMA or someone changed the safety margin on TVs.... imagine that. They started doing what they already should have. IMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Kinda.... The NTSWBMA or someone changed the safety margin on TVs.... imagine that. They started doing what they already should have. IMO
That's because of a RVIA recommendation to its members - about 98% of all RV trailer manufacturers - to provide 10% in load capacity reserves with all OEM tires.

Tags
tire